It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pterosaur and Civil War Soldiers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ok, I looked through ATS and could not find a thread on here, so if there is a thread I'm sorry. I came across this picture of a pterosaur and what look likes Civil War soldiers, does anyone know if this photo is real or fake?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There are similar photos on a page devoted to pterosaurs at objectiveministries.org... which is a creationist website. The modern existence of pterosaurs is claimed to be a convincing argument for the young earth. There is also a drawing showing pterosaurs with Adam and Eve.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here are a couple of others:

There is a LOT of info out there about this subject, and it is something i have been dabbling in for the last couple of weeks.

Here is a google search page to get you started:

www.google.com...

and a nice set of stories on "About.com"

paranormal.about.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Wow thats interesting, I wonder if any of these pictures are real though. I mean they look pretty real, but I am sure a lot of hoaxs look real as well...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for that info, I will have a look.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The image that you posted TheMythLive looks a little fake to me, but the other ones look more life like

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
i vote probable fake , my reasons

1 - issolation - a single adult cannot just ` apear ` in the mid 1860s with no supporting wild population - even if it [ that photo ] was the extintion death - there woulkd have been have been prior discoveries - flyting reptiles with multi metre wingspans cannot hide

2 - if N america had wild pterosaurs - why would it have been covered up / ignored previously ? - when the americas were discovered - thousands oof species unknown to europeans were discovered and faithfully documented - and there was no motive for a conspiracy - as paleantology was an as yet un studied discipline - the word dinosaur was not even coined till the 19th century and thier was no debate on the age of the aerth / evolution / creationism till the mid 19th century

so a single photo - allegedly from the mid 19th century needs extra ordinary evidence to explain its origin

its lack of provenance other than a creationist website sets alarm bels ringing

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

I love the pictures, there's something appealing about them. I've seen the one you linked to a long time back and read an explanation of it in a magazine. Here's a breakdown of why it's not real.

I can't speak for the others, but photos of anything that has been extinct for millenia is likely fake

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Well, theres this, and then theres this.

Childress also appeals to a mysterious old photo of cowboys with a dead pterodactyl. This photo is extra amazing because no one has ever seen it. People just hear about it and then...remember it. Spooky. There is not, so far as anyone can tell, even a single actual copy of the thing in existence, and yet Childress paints it as powerful evidence. Childress cites John Keel (Yeah, the Mothman Prophecies guy.) as his source that vouches for the authenticity of the photo. The quest for the magic photo is complicated by a handful of fakes (showing Civil War guys instead of cowboys) that got floated around the internet a few years ago as part of a viral marketing campaign for a now-defunct TV show called "Freaky Links".

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
How about this?

NOT REAL I got it here a photoshop contest:Antique Photoshop
Which includes the Triceratops from Jurassic Park none the less.

And here is Cryptomundo talking about it:
www.cryptomundo.com
Incidently ther verdict is shopping too.

The photograph shown here supposedly demonstrates that a cryptid was captured by a group of Civil War soldiers, circa mid-1860s. It has been circulated as the “mystery Thunderbird photo” and/or by others as 1860s soldiers with the remains of a pterodactyl.

As it turns out this photograph was a promotional tool of Orlando, Florida’s Haxan Production (producers of the movie The Blair Witch Project), to develop interest in their forthcoming sci-fi television program, “Freaky Links.” The series, first broadcast on Fox TV in 2000, involved the character “Derek Barnes,” an investigator of the unknown.

The photograph was a hoax, using Civil War reenactors and a pterodactyl created as a prop exclusively for two episodes of “Freaky Links.”

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I know I read something about the second pic being a fake about a year or so ago. Can't seem to find it though. I thought I read it on museumofhoaxes.com, but I just did a search of their site and if it was there, they did not use the words "pterosaur," Pterodactyl" or "dinosaur" do describe it. I'll keep looking.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

Unlike the other pictures this one REALLY looks fake though

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Way before photoshop and the internet, I remember seeing pictures of these flying dino's in books about US history. Not those depicting Civil War areas but in the Midwest. Pictures of Buffalo hunters doing the typical pose next to their kill. Not just one but several pterosaurs or Pterodactyls laying next to each other and the proud hunters behind them.

Any sizable population would have been wiped out by the hunters just in case they were a possible source of food for the native American. As the buffalo were mainly in the Midwest it could have been the same for the pterosaurs and the Pterodactyls. A Sharps .50 cal would down one with the same ease as a buffalo. Any that survived just died out due to lack of a sustainable population. Sure would have loved to seen one in flight but sadly there are no more.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

I remember seeing pictures of these flying dino's in books about US history.

and i guess all these history books have now vanished ? or can you cite one - title , authorur , ISBN etc

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by pstrron

I remember seeing pictures of these flying dino's in books about US history.

and i guess all these history books have now vanished ? or can you cite one - title , authorur , ISBN etc

Or he just doesn't remember?:S

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Yea, I am kinda of interested in reading one of those books, just to see the pictures. If you oculd provide a name it would be greatly appreciated. Keep the good work up folks.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
there is one report of a pterodactyl sighting in modern times. In Readers Digests book "mysteries of the unexplained" (I own a copy) there is an account of an incident in France during the winter of 1856 where French miners encountered a pterosaur that was trapped in a giant boulder of Jurassic era limestone. The creature allegedly stumbled out of the rock croaked and died in the tunnel. At first it might sound like a hoax but the body was taken to a nearby French town where a local scholar in paleontology identified it as a pterosaur.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I would love to be able to state a name or publisher but even when I was in school I never paid attention to any of those things. Plus you will have to go back close to 50 years ago. I guess I sort of dated myself

Of course the books will be out of print and or updated keeping inline with current "historical" perspectives. Remember the Coelacanth? It was reported extinct, the Coelacanth, that 400 million year old "living fossil" fish, swims on! Pre-dating the dinosaurs by millions of years and once thought to have gone extinct with them, 65 million years ago, the Coelacanth was "discovered" alive and well in 1938.

In light of the Coelacanth, I hope you are not suggesting that pterosaurs and the Pterodactyls could not have existed still during the 1800's. Or that the pictures were photoshoped and published years before photoshop ever existed. It is regrettable that I no longer have or even remember the books name.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

The coelocanth was located in deep water, mostly limited to small areas of the ocean.
The ocean's a pretty large place, with only relatively slight exploration in comparison to land exploration.
It was well known by the locals, who had been catching the fish for about as long as their people had been there.

In comparison, we have your unsourced statements and few pictures that have appeared on the web with no sources.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

In regards to the Coelacanth, pterosaurs and the Pterodactyls, your statement

"In comparison, we have your unsourced statements and few pictures that have appeared on the web with no sources. "
is quite correct. It is just that it is very hard to source material that was used in the school I went to over 40 years ago. Just goes to show that you never know what materials can come in handy many years down the road.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join