Seth Shostak-talks ET and SETI

page: 1

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:32 PM

Ben: Do you believe in extra-terrestrials?
Seth Shostak: "Well, Ben, if I didn't, I wouldn't continue to do this work. It would be very frustrating to think that we're looking for something that doesn't exist."

Duncan: How do you use radios to listen for aliens?
Seth Shostak: "The scheme that we use is to point very large antennas in the directions of sun-like stars, and look for signals that are clearly produced by a transmitter, and not natural cosmic static."

Sara: What type of signals do you expect aliens to make?
Seth Shostak: "Well, Sara, I expect aliens to make all kinds of signals, but the kind that we look for are so-called narrow-band signals. These are at one particular spot on the radio dial. These are the types of signals that would be most easy to detect from great distances."
The Planetary Society
h2g2: SETI
BBC Space: Aliens

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by SE7EN]

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:05 AM
Hi Se7en!!

Very many thanx for posting these links - the one you quote from Seth certainly contains some very relavent POV about SETI and the continued search for ET!!

I'm sure others in the ATS SETI@home and BOINC groups will find these pages interesting reading - as will those with a passing interest in current attempts to find evidence of Life outside of Earth.

Thanx again Se7en!!

new topics