It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia may take ex-Guantanamo inmates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Australia may take ex-Guantanamo inmates

news.ninemsn.com.au

US authorities have approached Australia and other countries about resettling former detainees from the US military jail at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

Australia, along with a number of other countries, has been approached to consider resettling detainees from Guantanamo Bay, a spokesman for Mr Rudd said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Australia seems like a perfect place for these guys, after all Australia was a penal colony so a few more convicts shouldn't make much difference..

Well fair enough, after all Aust. is one of the coalition of the willing in the war on terror so they should take their share but I wonder will the US take any of these ex-gitmo inmates?

Any thoughts, comments...

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Both of our political parties are puppets of America so they will do whatever they are told. Whether it's sending our troops as cannon fodder in America's illegal wars or settling prisoners from said wars. It's much the same as when the Brits had us as a colony really. Meet the new boss same as the old boss

Anyway it will be interesting if the US takes any of these prisoners, I doubt it...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I must have missed where all of Australia was one big penal colony, I thought it was only a couple of towns that housed convicts.

Just because Australia once took convicts doesn't mean we should still be a dumping ground for these war criminals.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yizzel
a few more convicts shouldn't make much difference..

This is a T&C violation!

I detest what you're implying about Australians. In fact it could be looked on as narrow minded bigotry or racism. Yeah a few hundred years ago the foundations were built by some convicts but we also have a thing called immigration where people come here by choice.

If it was an attempt at a joke, it was pretty lame.

IRM

[edit on 26/12/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The only reason America isn't taking them is because once they become US citizens they will probably sue the pants of the US government.. which they rightfully should.. this is just another case of America not willing to take responsibility for there own problems... typical...

"Well fair enough, after all Aust. is one of the coalition of the willing in the war on terror so they should take their share "

Umm last time i checked it wasn't Australia that was kidnapping people from there own country and detaining them without due cause.. i believe that was US doing that.. so again fix your own damn problems

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

They could be kept well isolated from the general public on Christmas Island or Cocos and Norfolk Islands.

I understand that these three islands are part of Australia but do not fall within the Australia Migration Zone.
Besides, putting up muslim fundamentalists on "Christmas Island" is comical, although the guests may resent that.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by civilized mammal

I don't find your statements even remotely funny. Being Australian I can't make light of the OP. He has implied that all Australians are criminals and I take high offense to that. I think you're missing the point.

I hope management give this yizzel troll what's coming to him. Narrow minded cultural marginalization is not allowed here.

IRM

[edit on 26/12/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

That wasn't a joke, rather sarcasm..
You obviously didn't get it or maybe because you being from Aust. took it as an insult. Good to see not just US ppl getting upset when talking about their respective countries on this board

The article goes on to say..

"Any determination for an individual to come to Australia would be made on a case-by-case basis. All persons accepted to come to Australia would have to meet Australia's strict legal requirements and go through the normal and extremely rigorous assessment processes."

It's unlikely that they will let any REAL terrorists in. So don't fret.

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

In any case, America made their bed and you can sleep in it. I hope one of these detainees moves in right beside you. Keep your filth - You deserve it!

What the.... Seriously the US ALONG with the 'coalition of the willing' made their bed. Don't try to wriggle out of this one 'good buddy'

Edit bad bb edits

[edit on 26-12-2008 by yizzel]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I must have missed where all of Australia was one big penal colony, I thought it was only a couple of towns that housed convicts.

Just because Australia once took convicts doesn't mean we should still be a dumping ground for these war criminals.
who are the war criminals?
those protecting their homeland, or the invading forces who used a set up to wage war on a country in far off shores?

I thought most of the supposed criminals that attacked NY where Saudi, not Afghan, just because a fugitive is hiding in a country, does that mean it's OK to go to war with a country?
How many war criminals are hiding in so called democratic countries?

The term criminal is all in which side you look at the argument, how many detainees have had charges layed against them? or had legal council?
of course if you admit to something you must be guilty, it doesn't matter how you get someone to admit to something, water boarding anyone?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

What the.... Seriously the US ALONG with the 'coalition of the willing' made their bed. Don't try to wriggle out of this one 'good buddy'

[edit on 26-12-2008 by yizzel]

are you serious??? it was the US that provoked this ridiculous 'war on terror'... you should be thankful that countries like Australia had gutless leaders or there would be no coalition.

Ultimately America started this war and subsequently lost it in an hilarious fashion...

'mission failed' i say

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

maybe because you being from Aust. took it as an insult. Good to see not just US ppl getting upset when talking about their respective countries on this board

So you're happy that you insulted Australians for no good reason? That's OK, I've reported your post to the Moderators. They can sort it out.

IRM

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkey

So much for being in the 'coalition of the willing'. That's just dandy, first you give support and when things don't turn out as expected (hoped) you bail and declare it's all your fault.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
So you're happy that you insulted Australians for no good reason? That's OK, I've reported your post to the Moderators. They can sort it out.

IRM

Absolutely not. I had no intention to offend anyone.
I made a sarcastic comment and you took it the wrong way. Sorry...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

It was all America's fault though... your government fabricated evidence to enter Iraq and Afghanistan was unnecessary...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

There was no sarcasm in your post - just narrow minded, ill educated dross.

This is my final post in your thread. I will not contribute to your ATS points and I suggest other Aussies avoid this thread like the plague.

IRM

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Oh dear, little touchy are we.
Look it's one thing to be flamed by you but to call on all Aussies not to respond to this thread is a little over the top.
Grow up will ya, geez...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
reply to post by yizzel

It was all America's fault though... your government fabricated evidence to enter Iraq and Afghanistan was unnecessary...

It's easy to say that in hindsight. Shame the Aust. Govt didn't listen to it's ppl when they protested against these wars...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
im not going to boycott... i would rather have a discussion

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I am Australian and I caught the sarcasm. I see no problem here.
Please continue with discussion only related to the topic at hand.

Ahem. As I see it Australia has been a dumping ground for a lot of Americas problems. The have the Harold Holt and Pine Gap bases, as well as our troops in their war. We have detention centres already open on offshore islands like Christmas Island, where Rudd moved them, so a lot of the infrastructure and systems are already in place for a large jail meant to hold foreign nationals.
I guess this country can only hope our little technocrat-that-could has the balls to stand up to Mr. Bush before he leaves office and starts writing his memoirs with the help of the F7 key.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join