It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.223 Ammo Shortage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
So I picked up a Bushmaster M-4 last month and ordered from sportsmansguide which is my usual supplier some .223 ammo. I got it really fast and shot it all that week end.

I wanted to stock up on a case or 2 and noticed my favorite cheap ammo from wolf was out of stock. Only the expensive stuff was available.

I went to Academy Sports and they were not only sold out of all brands of .223 they had no AR-15 style guns in stock at all. I asked the clerk and he said they were on order but there is a shortage from all manufacturers.

I checked other websites and although most websites had ammo in stock it was either plinker low grain stuff or super expensive.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sent you a U2U with info on .223 Ammo. Hope it helps you out!
Zindo

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I get range ammo from Wal-Mart for my .223.
100 rounds of Federal 55gr. FMJ for less than 50 bucks.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It's not just .223 its 7.62x39 also. I was going to order a crate or two myself, but the site I normally shop from is sold out. I have a mini 30 that I've been modifying little by little. Now I can't find some rounds to test it out haha.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the links.

I placed an order with sportsmansguide, just because im a club member and get good discounts. I just gotta wait for the back order to fill.

Just sucks that everyone is so scared, us shooters are suffering.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Guys, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. .308 is harder to find than a tick on a bobcat.

Found some good brass though.

I heard a rumor that IMI brass will not be shipped again to the US for a long period of time.

HMMMMMMM.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A man who runs a gun shop down state told me that for inventory/ tax purposes they and others weren't getting any stock in until '09.

While I was there a guy came in and bought 150, 50BMG's and lookin' for more!

I got his last pound of powder and last box of 30cal 150's. I felt lucky.

Roper

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Roper]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yeah my Uncle who is really into guns was talking about having to reload all his ammo (for a rifle; sorry don't remember the calibur) because he couldn't find it anywhere.
Also quick question, my Dad just received a .300 savage from a relative, is ammo hard to find for it? He said it was.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You can make .300 Savage brass from .30-06 brass. It's the same case, you just shorten it and reneck it in the forming die to .300 Savage specs. There's like 60 differant calibers made from the .30-06 case, maybe more if you count all the wildcats folks have developed over the years. Any reloading manual can give you the specs of both.

Zindo

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Yeah..Zindo,

Ain't it great about the versatility of the 30.06 case?!! I form 7.7mm Japanese cases out of them. I can even form 7.7mm Japanese cases from 270 brass...which is a necked down 30.06. I never realized the scope of this until sitting down with my Hornaday reloading manual and just reading the various caliber informations available.

I am also currently forming 7mm TCU cases from .223 brass. This wildcat ammunition cannot be purchased in the stores. Having fun with this TC Contender Barrel when I have time to go shoot. Planning on going to the range this weekend.

Keep them in the X ring Zindo,
Orangetom

[edit on 27-12-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The only problem that might come up is keeping the cases separate. It's very important to make sure you do. Marking them with differant colors and always sort your brass with care, using a dial caliper to measure any suspect cases. To use the wrong cartridge in any gun is just asking for a catastrophic accedent! At the very least a damaged firearm.

Zindo

[edit on 12/27/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Exactly correct Zindo,

One in a hurry and or one who did not know..could easily grab a bunch of 7.7mm loads and try them in a 30.06 bolt action rifle and suffer very high pressures or a blow back.
I know the difference on sight, having loaded them both...but someone else might not.

I also keep these loads in different locations...not close to each other. I do not shoot this Arisaka much now days but maintain the tools/equipment for loading it. My rifle is an early production rifle and even has that rattley olde dust/dirt cover on it.

The difference in diameter of the bullets is .308 verses .311/.312. Not much but significant in terms pressures if one mixes them up. Danger Danger Danger here...!! Red Flag!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Thanks for the help!
I was afraid that was the case, well I guess I might as well start learning how to reload.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I looked up the .300 Savage. I am not familiar with this caliber of rifle ammunition. It is listed in my Hornaday reloading book. Interesting ballistics and loading table for it. Yes...much better to me than the standard .30.30 in the tables. Also nice bullet selection.

Until Zindo posted I did not know that cases can be formed from .30.06 brass. I am sitting on about 500 such once fired cases.

I don't know what kind of rifle it is your dad has in .300 Savage...bolt action, pump, semi, or the olde Savage lever guns. The Savage lever guns were made in a number of calibers in addition to .300 Savage.

I never aspired to own one of the Savage lever guns because of the unusual calibration in .300 Savage. Now that I know the cases can be made from olde .30.06 brass..I will be keeping my eye out for one.
I like the looks of these Savage lever guns. You don't see them much for sale around her anymore.

Never hurts to learn to reload...no matter for what caliber. I enjoy my time on the reloading bench. A little of my favorite music...a cup of coffee or iced tea...perhaps a snack/sandwich and I am good to go for hours.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Hey do yourself a favor and stay away from the wolf ammo. I just picked up an AR-15 about a month ago brand new. On the 62nd round the shell casing logded it self in the barrell, it was down so far you could only see about a quarter inch of it. The local gun shop took out for free and thankfully my brand new weapon was absoutly fine! Yeah its cheap, thats why I bought it also, but remember you get what you pay for!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

You can get 300 savage at www.midwayusa.com I have that caliber in a remington 760 and I love it... I reload mine but have found it starting to be hard to get the cases.... Been reading how on here you can make them from a 30-06 but don't really see how you can. The length and width is some much differen have to check into it further...

top topics

join