It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capitol Festivus pole goes up, and gripes begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Capitol Festivus pole goes up, and gripes begin

www.daily-chronicle.com

In the world of the TV sitcom "Seinfeld," Festivus is a goofy, high-tension Christmas substitute dreamt up by George Costanza's angry dad. Revelers gathered around an aluminum pole and couldn't leave until someone pinned the head of the household to the floor.

Festivus is still good for a laugh among "Seinfeld" loyalists, even 11 years after the episode was first broadcast.

Funny, but nobody's laughing much about the Festivus pole that popped up under the dome of the Illinois Capitol this week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.miamiherald.com

[edit on 26-12-2008 by The All Seeing I]

MOD Note: Review this link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 12/26/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
"The Story of Festivus" as told by George Costanza of the NBC Show Seinfeld.

Imagine gathering around a pole with your family and airing your grievances... even wrestling with each other to come to an understanding, how ridiculously brilliant is that? Sort of a thanksgiving in reverse but much more cathartic. This really should be championed by some organization as an alternative for atheists and agnostics alike, but maybe instead of wrestling they could have debates... i can see the "fighters" of ATS are already well versed in this tradition.

A Merry Festivus to all Agnostics & alike

www.daily-chronicle.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/26/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

I call myself agnostic and have no problem with the word Christmas.

To me, no matter whether it be true, completely made up, or partially true, it is more about the moral of the stoy. If people can not recognise the "holyness" of such a story (forgeting any religious doctrine) then let them live in their sad sad world.

Other than that..funny clip...

[edit on 26-12-2008 by open_eyeballs]

[edit on 26-12-2008 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
thanks but i would rather celebrate yule tide... you know the original celebration that took place on the 25th dec

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
wooohooooo good ol' festivus!!!!!!

love the airing of grievences

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
And you can actually get festivus poles at www.festivuspoles.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by smokehouseslim

keep it clean mate

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Considering how all traditions have evolved over time and the nature in origin of this "holiday", smokehouse's direction could very well take shape in the near future... could only be improvements in my book

We already have a book, a wiki article and an entry on Religious Tolerance's website

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
So how was everyone's Festivus?

Mine was glorious, i beat my wife in a thumb wrestling match and gave my mom a real lashing of the tongue... i feel much better now, a load resentment has been lifted.

It was my first Festivus, celebrated at the last minute, so in improvisation i painted a carboard tube left over from xmas wrapping, silver and stuck it upright in the base of a shoe.

Though in consideration of how much i enjoyed this celebration, i think i am going to spring for a real Festivus pole for next year.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What can i say, i just couldn't wait... i recalled a bathroom rehab project (left over curtain rod) i had years ago and an old cast iron xmas tree base that went into storage years ago when we bought a fake tree... so i dug through the workshop and attic and wa la... low and behold... i have my very first Festivus Pole

Now i am just torn over the best locale for this magnetic lightning rod of conduit for good willed grievances to be exorcised.
Maybe you guys could help me decide...

...next to the xmas tree?

... below the pagan goddess motif?

... or at the foot of the bed?

[edit on 1-1-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I wonder if its up this year...

top topics

join