It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

herman li of dragonforce

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
what do you think of him?
he is a relatively new shredder on the block. imo dragonforce really sucks but they seem to be popular with the younger audience.

he is also 'famous' for the sound effects that he does. video game noises and what not. check him out doing a demo of them here.

www.youtube.com...

see him shred here

[Fixed link]

[edit on 25/12/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Dragonforce are the epitome of studio band, they are fun for what they are.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ivzm

and what are they?
overrated shredders...i think so

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
one question, have you tried playing through fire and flames on Guitar Hero 3, i got it for Christmas, beat it already, and have unlocked the song, on easy its a little difficult, on medium its hard, on hard its insane, and on expert not even Jesus could save you, its insane, that said, all of the Dragonforce songs have the same beat, and tempo and stuff, just new Lyrics added, they play insanely fast, thats there only trick, good trick though

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by outrider

no i have not played it on guitar hero. i have guitar hero 2 i think..actually my son has it and i don't think dragon force is on that one...it has jordan by buckethed though..

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
as i said before, its insanity, i failed, like fifteen seconds in on expert, insanity, don't even try

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish

Originally posted by ivzm

and what are they?
overrated shredders...i think so

Like i said they are a studio band nothing more, a friend of mine saw them live and apparently they don't play most of the solos live.

Also its fun to make fun of when your drinking with friends.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ivzm

so let me get t his straight. dragonforce is known for having two shredders in the band. i only know herman li though. anyway, they have two shredders in the band and when you go see them live they don't even hook you up with the shred session.
that is lame man. even though i only like a few shredders, dragonforce just went down a couple notches in my book.

i know herman li is also known for getting drunk and falling down all over the place and just basically acting like an idiot

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Apparently only Herman does the shreds, the other guitarist just gets pissed and plays power chords.

Mind you I'm only going off what I've been told.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ivzm

ooohhh. power chords
now there is a reason to go see em

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Apparently, Herman Li and Sam Totman have the same technical skill. Even they say they don't take their music seriously, and really it's just an excuse for them to have guitar battles.

They do have an irritating band, and gaming teens love them and go "woah dat dragnfrce is on guitar hero n i cn ply ther sngs i rawk!" but to be able to play like them does take years of intense practice. They might just masturbate the fretboard, but I'm sure if they made a serious prog metal band they'd be capable of making some really great stuff.

I dunno, I'm not really too fond of guitarists anyway.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Angry Potato

of course it takes years of practice to achieve what herman li has acheived but in the context he uses it, it has no musical value. at least that is my opinion. and what is the deal with not playing the solos live? what a rip. that tells me they are not as efficient as people thing and need over dubs in the studio

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Since when does guitar dueling have musical meaning? They're only about who has the fastest wrist and most accurate left hand. They also do play their solos live, but if they screw up badly or something, it's probably due to them being drunk on stage.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The fact that dragonforces writing method consists of hitting random notes as fast as possible. If you want real shredders who actually write music probably and IMO are much better than either of the dragonforce kids Stevie Vai, Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo Batio or even that egotistical prick Engwie Malmsteen would be much much better options.

But this is getting into the who which guitarist is better/faster circlejerk.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I can just sit here and name guitarists that are much better players, but even the musicality of the top virtuosos in a solo environment is boring as crap, and you might as well listen to them all jerk off. I know there are much better players than Herman Li, but this thread's about Herman Li after all, not about who is better than him.

I don't really know why I'm defending him, I don't even like Dragonforce.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I think it's a human compulsion to defend thing. I offen find myself in the same boat as you, defending things i don''t like just because someone is hanging # on it.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So I guess we're all agreed that we don't like Herman Li.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angry Potato
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I can just sit here and name guitarists that are much better players, but even the musicality of the top virtuosos in a solo environment is boring as crap, and you might as well listen to them all jerk off. I know there are much better players than Herman Li, but this thread's about Herman Li after all, not about who is better than him.

I don't really know why I'm defending him, I don't even like Dragonforce.

well the virtuoso guitarists in a solo environment are not boring at all. they play stuff with musical value to it. zappa before he died. john petrucci. steve vai. jeff beck. allan holdsworth. jennifer batten.
they will give you a good solo. even dweezil zappa.
definately not herman li though

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yeah, I was more or less thinking along the lines of people like Michael Angelo Batio. Seriously, it's such a headache trying to listen to his albums. Yeah, great solos and stuff but man, talk about irritatingly cheesy rhythm sections that offer nothing in terms of memorability.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

well people like batio play nothing of musical value. they will shred the harmonic minor scale and thats about it. there is more to a solo than that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join