It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A conspiracy to end religion!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
im an atheist yet forcing religion to an end would be a mistake. People should be free to believe whatever they want. A huge percentage of mankind are religious, i would hate to think what people would do if they were no longer aloud to practice what they believe. If religion is to go i believe it has to or will diminish somewhat naturally, over time as we advance. Interesting though i ironically had a Jehovah witness knock on my door today, talking about how they are waiting for there last prophecy to take place which is the end of false religion, and then Armageddon would come and kill all the worldly people. It was a nice message to wake up to lol. Then i wiped the floor with them in a debate over evolution.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost147
reply to post by resistor

I'm sorry, i didn't realize atheist was a declared religion. Just because there are people who have general the same believes in something doesn't make it a religion. If you worship something because you believe its a higher power, then you are religious.

do you see any atheist temples around?

A religion need not be declared, nor organized. You could roughly translate religion as a belief system, and everyone has one of those.

Originally posted by Chronogoblin

Originally posted by resistor

You've got a serious logical fallacy working here. Just because people seek to codify morality doesn't necessarily mean that they have no morality absent the laws that they've created. You don't really believe that normal people of whatever belief system would be engaging in atrocities if there wasn't someone there to tell them it's wrong, do you?

I don't believe that no, but according to some on these forums, that's almost exactly what I have read on quite a few threads here. Supposedly, if people didn't have religion, whole masses of humanity would devolve into moral-less mobs of animal molesters.

Chrono

Yes, there are those who seem to believe such, and they're usually the same ones who continue to believe every word of a gov that long since have been proven to be liars in the extreme.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

People who say things like this scare me, and I have actually had Christians tell me they cannot think of a reason, without using religion, why they should not cut my throat and take my money. I know that's pretty unbelievable, so ask a hard core believer to give you purely secular reasons for not committing a "sin."

Without religion, logic and reason can provide answers. Just a quick example:
Murder--Causes pain and suffering of the victim. Deprives a person's family of a loved one. Deprives a family of income. Causes undue stress, trauma, and possibly leading to deterioration of health of loved ones. Breeds fear in the populace. Is detrimental to the cohesiveness of civilization.
Stealing: Deprives someone of what they worked for. Deprives someone of what they need. Gives an unfair advantage to the thief. Causes undue stress, resentment, etc..

Anyone with a conscious can figure out if they are unbalancing the system. They don't need the fear of Big Daddy to tell them right from wrong.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Religion has ZERO evidence to support its wild claims. Doesnt the recent 2 million year old discovery not strike you? Even more proof of evolution. You jesus praisers just cant get out of the narrow mind way of thinking.

God is no longer relevant. This is an aethists call to arms.

Watch Cosmos. 13 episdoes 1 hour long each by Carl Sagan. When you understand the universe you live in everything is crystal clear and not delusional. People are SCARED of the very idea god might not exist. It's rediculous. Billions of people have different beliefs the only logical explaination is they are all wrong and evolution and mother nature has all the answers. Science doesn't believe in evolution, evolution just so happens to be the primary method in which different species have evolved over millions of years. Scientists study this. Insect life has been evolving faster than mammals.

Science has been saying for aeons we don't know if there is a god or not. That is the only logical explaination.

If there is a god who created the god.

well this is just the type of "drivel" the OP is talking about...Now I dont like this anon poster because he says the atheists need to unite...against who...me...because I believe in GOD. BEcause when I walk outside everyday I see the glorious works of my lord...you explain it however you want, but my explanation is GOD created earth and all that is- he is, and always has been- noone created GOD.reread the op. and try and understand what it says this time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join