It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The existence of "God". It's a possibility.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I was watching Futurama today and saw the episode called "Godfellas" and it made a very good point. Here is a quote of the dialogue from the show that I am talking about.

God: "Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket."
Bender: "Or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money!"
God: "Yes, if you make it look like an electrical thing. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

It does bring up a very good and valid point.
And it is really true of people in general. Whether or not you are looking at it from a theological standpoint.
This of course sounds very logical to me. Especially if what I think to be true is true and "God" isn't the point, existing is.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
After all if such a being does exist it is pretty self evident we are left to chart our own course.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Especially if what I think to be true is true and "God" isn't the point, existing is.

it's a puzzle

I think all the missing matter in the universe is irony

there's something odd holding all this together

I agree - our existence is the thing

After all if such a being does exist it is pretty self evident we are left to chart our own course.

exactly - it's not like we're 4 - time for the humans to grow up

and, maybe just my opinion - but I think this thread would work in ATS

[edit on 1/5/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
LoL God does exist. There is life after death. But I think what was said in the movie for the most part is true. God cant do to much and he cant do nothing.

like it said You have to use a light touch. But I think end the end God did more than a light touch. You know giving up his Son. Satan in the world. I dont think those where light touches. And at the end of times there will be more than just Light touch. God basically will be coming down to earth to smack all. AKA Revelations.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

Here is the crux as far as I am concerned. Why would a light touch be needed and used in the case of the Christian god? After all the church leads you to believe that he will one day intervene after all and had extensively intervened before to execute his will.
Why would that have changed now?

And please don't take this as me telling you "you're wrong" but merely questions I have and in no means an attack against your beliefs. And after all how can we learn anything if we don't ask.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

new topics

top topics

join