It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perfect night vision scope on a budget.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ok guys, the discussions about night vision got me interested and into figuring out what NV scope I wanted and since I would want to video what I see, if I see,,,,, after the whole evening of reading, I selected the following.

www.amazon.com...

This is the cheapest "digital" night scope. All the non-digital would have called for connecting the camera to the scope with an adapter and then you have this large cumbersome thing to handle. With the digital, no need to spend the extra money on a tripod connector and/or adapters and the loss of quality with that much more glass to view through. This one you can hold and view and plug in the video cable and carry your cam by your side with the shoulder strap. Stability has been issue in a lot of videos and this would offer the most comfort and mobility in viewing, and quicker response. With my mono-pod, I should get good stable shots and maximum maneuverability.
From what I read, it has a great picture for a Gen 1 price, it doesn't have the distorted image of normal NVs, and square instead of round which will be better for video.

I have been viewing these videos on UFOs for a long time, and now I'm going to start looking for myself. And I'm going to study the difference between birds, planes, and ah,,,,,whatever.... while I'm at it.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hi Pappie,

have you got this night vision scope yet? Would be great to hear how you're getting on with it.

Cheers,

Aelf

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The best night vision device I've ever used is called.....wait for it.....a flashlight.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm just in one of those moods.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some serious advice. I've seen some interesting videos lately on here taken with NV but I've also heard that they are really expensive.

Have a happy.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelfrede
Hi Pappie,
have you got this night vision scope yet? Would be great to hear how you're getting on with it.
Aelf

It will arrive today and if it is not to cold, I'll be checkin it out so see if Santa will be flyin by.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ok, opened my Christmas present of the Yukon ranger and as cold as it is, I had to test. The image is awesome, the sharpness of very good, and you can see more stars than what has been visible in the cities for decades I bet. What would make the ranger perfect is if it would take different lens. It comes with a x5 focal length and so you can only capture a small portion of the sky. Course once you see something, then you want the telephoto length but for recording a large patch of sky over time to record strange movement, it needs a wide angle lens. Many of the Yukon models can take different lens, but the digital can't. Beyond that, I am amazed at the distance it will see on ground level and the IR light is extremely powerful. For a hunter and the price, they are world class, for a star gazer and UFO hunter, a wide angle is the only thing that would improve it. As for getting close, once you see something, you will note that few of the NVs are more than 4x and this one is a 5x. As soon as it gets a little warmer, I'll shoot some video. I hooked it up to my Canon GL2 and put the scope on a tripod and that was what made me really happy with it. You don't have to press your eye to the thing all night, and it will blow out your one eye out after a while. With this, I hooked up the video cable and turned the canon on and could set back and view the image on the large LCD screen on the cam. Sharp and easy on the eyes for long term viewing. Set you lounger in the yard, hook it all up, and set back and enjoy with friends. You can share it this way.

top topics

join