It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically engineered meal close to your table

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Genetically engineered meal close to your table

www.thespec.com

The pigs, pale pink and bristly, trot around the pen......

They grunt and squeal and wag their short curlicue tails. All three like a hard scratch on the rump.

In almost every way, these broad-backed oinkers are just like the other Yorkshire pigs at the opposite end of the barn.

All except for the brackish green muck that oozes from their backsides. And the snippet of mouse DNA that has been slipped into their piggy chromosomes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.freep.com
ga3.org

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Not only have our food-crops been genetically engineered, to who knows at what expense to the health of us consumers, but now these brainiac scientists have developed pigs that are "cleaner for the environment".

Quoted from Source:

No one can say for certain when – or if – the Enviropig will be approved, but industry experts predict it will be one of the first transgenic animals approved in the U.S., possibly in 2009

This seriously makes me want to cry. I hope the FDA does not approve this. How long is it going to be before all of this un-natural crossbreeding of species comes back to bite us in the backside?

The FDA recently proposed guidelines for regulating genetically engineered animals such as the Enviropigs, but consumer activists say the rules are inadequate: The guidelines won't require developers to disclose key details, such as what genes have been used to give the animals their distinctive traits, and food from the animals won't have to be labeled.

above text quoted from freep.com

www.thespec.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think this is going to be the way forward in the next 10 years for meat,not genetically modified but grown...i guess there will be less vegetarians..stop deforestation for farmland,its seems strange at first but i could live with it presuming its still as healthy.
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 20-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You do have to admit though that our consumption and our methods of housing and "manufacturing" these animals is horrendous and something needs to be done, I'm not sure if it's making pigs that poop like mice turds (I'm guessing that's what they've done?) lol haha, (sarcasm)but at least they're attempting to experiment and try their newest toy out (manipulation of different species) it just wouldn't make sense to use old tried and true methods for reducing the detriment of the problem. (/sarcasm)

I believe we in the west are very behind in this field, or at least in the public, who knows what they have for the military.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Most everything you eat has been genetically modified in some fashion from it's purely natural state. Either by selective breeding to create new species or via more direct methods. Cows and other bovine were cultivated from the now extinct Aurox. Corn was cultivated from a teosinite wheat grass. Bananas were cultivated from a wild form with pulpy meat and large tough seeds.

So yeah... it's closer than you think.

top topics

join