It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brady campaign "gunning" for the .50 cal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree, even my .270 win would work quite well as a sniper rifle. And has very good penetration power especially if you use FMJ .270 rounds(Which are not common, but can penetrate armor). And that is a very popular hunting caliber.

Gun control people, and I say this as a liberal, are a bunch of misinformed whiny babies, and would ban any weapon they could until the government rolls over us and turns this country into China. These people will be the death of freedom, and the defense thereof.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

.270 is a pretty flat shooter that retains energy. I use he 243 Win alot here due to small deer that show up usually waaayyyy up a powerline right of way.

That's the thing these people dont understand, if someone wanted to take out the kind of target that hey are talking about, there are probably 100 better ways to do it than a 30 lb boat anchor, that the rounds weigh about 1/2 lb each too.

The only .50 cal rifles I have even seen are 1)at gun shows 2)a couple guys that do the extreme distance shooting competitions 3) a couple guys who have to have "the biggest".

Pretty sure all the rhetoric they spout is just that. Wish I had the time to dig there sources and see what kind of droppings turn up.

Saving that project for now, I think things are going to get to critical mass soon, and we will be more worried with "applied arguments" than academic debate.

As in boots applied to asses.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Wasn't Brady shot with a .22 cal. handgun? Why the concern with the .50 cal? Has there ever been a single documented incident where a crime was committed with a .50 cal weapon? How silly.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

They consider "children" to be people of ages 0-20, and forget that criminals create crime.

They also consider anyone in that age group to be a innocent bystander.
even though they were the criminals shooting people and were shot by the cops. or other criminals.

In LA Calif and many other areas 70+% of the shooting are gang on gang or cop on gang member.

And i have never heard of a gang member ever using a 50 BMG on anyone.

I have also never been able to find one used in a crime.
there just to big and expensive to use.

The ones found in the hands of criminals are mostly guns that were stolen and not yet sold to someone else by the criminals,

[edit on 20-12-2008 by ANNED]

[edit on 20-12-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. I did not want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen this video of the french testing their new anti-tank weapon?

www.jafaentertainment.com...

Can someone save it and post it somewhere because it may not be available for too long.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by John Matrix]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

Ok, I just heard that it was posted before....sorry...disregard post. Thanks

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I've never seen so much redneck drivel in all my life. Just glad I don't need guns in my country because I am wetting my pants over some percieved conspiracy to take away rights, which you never really had.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

The not so great American ostrich attitude at work. The guns are manufactured and or sourced in America and often by Americans. If it's just an export and non of your business what happens at the other end you should't be bothered about Columbian coke or Afghan heroine landing on your doostep.
It's a big world out there and civilised countries should work together , not just look out for number one.
I am not tarring all Americans with this brush. I know most can see passed their own border without breaking into a cold sweat but those that can't seem to find a voice and make the rest (unfairly) look stupid.
The IRA were provided with a Fifty from their friends accross the sea when a .50cal rifle was almost unheard of. Luckily it was captured pretty soon after arriving.
Also as an aside I just want to say that just because you don't hear about the victims it doesn't mean they don't exist just perhaps that some Goverments don't wash dirty linen in public or maybe don't want to cause panic.----- Troll

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Even according to Brady Camp's own data, the Fifty is just a blip on the crime radar.

It's possibilities they are concerned with.

I could possibly fly a small plane into a Kindergaren tomorrow, that doesn't mean it will happen.

Small planes don't really contribute to commerce much, other than the virtue of their mear ownership.

They exist pretty much for the pleasure of their owners.

They serve NO PURPOSE to the greater good, but could fall out of the air, killing many.

If you want to ban something, in my eyes, you have to prove significant casualties will result b/c of it.

But then we would have to have a prohibition on all kinds of things. (cigs/booze, etc.)

I realize many will not see it this way, and endeavor to keep the streets safe by banning something that 99.9999% of people will never be exposed to, and many probably don't know or don't care that it exists.

And in fact, I do not believe Dyncorp or any other sleazy US contractor for Department of State has any business in Afghanistan or Columbia, doing the job of the local governments.

Give these contractors a clue as to how to operate, then put them on securing the border.

SECURE THE BORDER.

There are basically no Coca plants or opium poppies grown in the US.

Secure the border, and any drugs that get through would have to be from complicity of TPTB.

If they still get through, we take the War On Drugs to TPTB.

There, I solved your problem.

And if you really think they are already trying to secure the border, then there is no hope for this conversation.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Want to see what they are trying to do to our firearms? This recently has gone up and shows how they will not take our firearms away, but want us to have manditory registration and fees to limit our ownership.

H.R.45
Title: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for
purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those
firearms, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Rush, Bobby L. [IL-1] (introduced 1/6/2009) Cosponsors
(None)
Latest Major Action: 1/6/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred
to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

thomas.loc.gov...\?c111:H.R.45:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Pffff their worries about .50 BMG when stuff like a 20mm Lahti is out there and legal to own
I also think it's laughable how they attack the .50 but there's the .408 Cheytac. If they were to ban .50 I could see somebody coming out with a .499 or something

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Found a website for an organization dedicated to getting rid of .50 cal

50 caliber terror

Lots of uber-sensationalism, little substance

They have a Dr. John Lott bashing page as well

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Even according to Brady Camp's own data, the Fifty is just a blip on the crime radar.

You and I are both aware that the strategy of most of the gun control groups out there is incrementalism, with a long term ban on individual firearms ownership as a long-term goal.

They know the majority are unlikely to support a general firearms ban or repeal of the Second Amendment, so they chip away at gun ownership bit by bit, banning this or that "scary" item regardless of it's actual relevance to gun crime, which in the case of so called "assault weapons" is minimal, and in the case of .50 BMG rifles, nearly nonexistent.

But they sure look scary

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join