It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo closure plan ordered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
BBC : news.bbc.co.uk...

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has ordered plans to be drafted for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention centre, the Pentagon says.

A team was looking at moving inmates from the facility in a way that continued to protect the American people, a spokesman said.

About 250 detainees remain in the controversial Cuba camp.

US President-elect Barack Obama says closing the camp "in a responsible way" is one of his top priorities.

[edit on 12/18/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Is this just a facet of "Change", or is it more than that? Is this plans for a public closure of Gitmo, when it will really just operate secretly, behind closed doors?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm looking at this literally. Just saw it on BBC and I really couldn't be happier. It's about time that place got closed down. Hopefully it doesn't have any implications for the wider world.
I don't fancy seeing a bunch of orange boiler suits when I look out of my window tomorrow morning

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Oh, don't get me wrong. I too am happy a place like that is being closed. Or at least to hear they say it is going to be closed.

Who knows if it actually will [close] or not, or if they just don't publicize the next Gitmo-esque facility.

top topics

join