It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth as a spaceship theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ok I have been thinking of this possibility for awhile now, granted there is no scientific basis for this theory it's just something I came up with. I am not sure if anyone has had this idea in the past if so please enlighten me.
If anything this idea would be excellent for a sci-fi movie.

The theory is that we are the unwitting, unknowing astronauts/aliens on this spaceship/ufo called Earth. Our Earth is traveling through the universe along with our solar system on it's way to some other galaxy?
This process takes a very long time and generations of humans come and go as our planet continues to travel to it's destination. As our planet revolves and goes through its cyclical changes we are actually moving steadfastly towards this other galaxy that is our ultimate goal. In the end we will be the aliens! Why and how we are getting there i still havent thought of that lol!

Please do not respond on how this is scientifically impossible, it's just a fun thought and i wanted to see if anyone else has ever thought about this. i'm sure i did not write this as eloquently as possible, but i hope you catch my drift.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by conspiracy nut]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i don't think it's too ridiculous. if a race was advanced enough they might be able to "scoop" some matter off of the sun and let it cool off over a core "ship" design/command center whatever.

it seems more likely that a planet would be hijacked, can't imagine why anyone would drill to the center or wherever to live.

sometimes i wonder if it's possible that the whole solar system was manufacutred.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
Ok I have been thinking of this possibility for awhile now, granted there is no scientific basis for this theory it's just something I came up with. I am not sure if anyone has had this idea in the past if so please enlighten me.
If anything this idea would be excellent for a sci-fi movie.

The theory is that we are the unwitting, unknowing astronauts/aliens on this spaceship/ufo called Earth.
Please do not respond on how this is scientifically impossible,

I think your right on the money we are on a spaceship and have been for billions of years!

It's called Earth a planet in the milkyway galaxy.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Here's your idea, written and done by someone else:

Cusp by Robert Metzger

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It's a concept that's been fodder for science fiction for a long time;
Orphans of the Sky R.A. Heinlein 1963
Non-Stop Brian Aldiss 1958
Captive Universe Harry Harrison 1969
etc.

Things that make you think.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

sweet! are these books or movies? never heard of them...but will do some research...thanks!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

They are books. The basic premise is the people are unknowing passengers on multi-generational starships.

Here's a classic
Star Trek

[edit on 12/17/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

just looked it up! good stuff, very similar to my idea! wow i wonder if i heard about these books forgot about them and had these theories stored in my brain this whole time, thinking i had an original idea.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Technically, you're right. But then... everything in existence is a spaceship of some sort. If there was any sort of a purpose behind it as a means of transportation, then it's a damned inefficient one. Humanity will be long extinct by the time we're anywhere close to Andromeda - and even so, when we meet, we won't just simply snuggle up to our closest galactic neighbor - we'll smash into it and the gravitational forces will rip each other's galaxies apart, only to eventually emerge again as a single unified galaxy. (Though from Earth's perspective, if it's still around, it won't really look like anything special. Our solar system could be kicked completely out of the Galaxy altogether with really no adverse affects IIRC.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think there is a prophecy from the hopi indians that says that the earth is a spaceship, somewhere.
Something that we will rediscover or something among those lines.
I'd have to look it up.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
As our planet revolves and goes through its cyclical changes we are actually moving steadfastly towards this other galaxy that is our ultimate goal.

What do you think the ultimate goal might be? I mean, if there is one, we've certainly lost it over the millions of years we've been floating along. Oneness with Xenu, perhaps?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Here's a thought-
The ancients of earth were more advanced than we are and learned millenia ago that he supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy was going to reach some critical mass and catastrophically annihilate itself with a sudden burst of radiation so energetic it was capable of exceeding the speed of light and blow the galaxy apart in seconds. The ancients devised a way to push the solar system out of the galaxy.
Somewhere out beyond the solar system are devices that warp space, pulling the solar system with them and the Voyager probes discover them.
We then learn the impending situation and that our planet was the closest one to and colonized by an alien race (our ancients). When the issue with the black hole was learned, it was decided to move our solar system to the home galaxy of the aliens.

I don't know.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Something like this?

The Fleet of Worlds are the planets of the Pierson's Puppeteer race. They consist of the actual homeworld and its agricultural worlds, arranged in a polygonal Klemperer rosette. They moved their worlds into this formation when their home star turned into a red giant, using an inertialess, reactionless drive purchased at great price from the Outsiders. After the discovery that the core of the galaxy is exploding, the Puppeteers turned the fleet towards the Magellanic Clouds, gradually reaching a speed of 80% lightspeed.
en.wikipedia.org...

God I love science fiction.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Humans, if we do not destroy ourselves first, will, with extra terrestrial help or not, someday reach a level of scientific, spiritual, and technological advancement that we will be able to move the Earth and travel through the universe like a Big "Death Star" type of vehicle, like on Star Wars.

we will find a way to generate artificial sunlight, keep the motion of the day and night going, and also be able to maintain an atmosphere whilst travelling through the universe.

hopefully we calm down and become less war-like or else im sure we will be taken care off, one way or another.

Just my little fantasy thought.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Something like this?

The Fleet of Worlds ...
en.wikipedia.org...

God I love science fiction.

Well shoot. I thought I had an original idea.

Hmm. It was worth a shot. Except I like my idea of us forgetting the ancients and our history better than just being a colony.

[edit on 12/18/2008 by abecedarian]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
This is interesting for I was thinking very recently about how Earth could be a spaceship. If this theory holds, then I wonder where we are really going and when is the next stop.

top topics

join