It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coverup of Afghan mass grave?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Coverup of Afghan mass grave?

www.presstv.ir

Dasht-e-Leili is allegedly the burial location of as many as 2,000 prisoners who surrendered to US Special Forces in November 2001 after the fall of the Taliban in the Afghan city of Kunduz. According to reports, US troops and allied Afghan groups had jailed the prisoners in cargo containers, where they suffocated, and then buried them at the site.

A human rights group discovered the grave in 2002 and has performed autopsies on some of the bodies. In July 2008, two large holes three meters (10 feet) deep were found at the site, which may have been dug in order to remove evidence.

The United Nations confirmed the earth disturbances following a McClatchy Newspapers report last week that said three new holes were dug at the site in November.

On Monday, the United Nations pledged to help Afghan authorities secure the site, but the international body does not have security forces in the war-torn country.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This has me so severly bothered! How could they have known of this mass grave all this time and it is just now getting some attention? These are someones family members.People who turned themselves in then they where stuffed in cargo containers to suffocate and die.
Now that the human rights groups are in an uproar over it the all great UN is stepping in..but cant do much as they have no one in the area. But hey lets have the people we suspect of doing this horiffic crime guard the crime scene? No wonder they are getting off with the evidence.

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

disgusted, as usual usa shows that its evil and it must be stopped

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The incident has been known about for a very long time but was swept under the carpet. After all, they were evil Taliban right?
The Northern Alliance were also allies so it would have been impolite to tell them how to treat their enemies. As is mostly true in issues such as this, our politicians just don't care.

I guess the authorities, and the MSM, will give this issue as little attention as possible, hoping it'll all just go away. The UN investigators will get pulled for "security" reasons and the evidence will quietly disappear.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I almost wish I didn't hear this one. We must contemplate the massive number of civilians that have been killed and buried with no criminal background what-so-ever.

This is the repercussions of a base-less war with no real enemies except our freedom. If the US really wanted this war to be over, they would have sniped Saddam Hussein in the head and warned if they didn't set up a democracy the next dictator in line would be next to be taken out.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Apparently "someone" has been to the mass burial site and attempted to move/destroy possible evidence.

source

"We can confirm that the site at Dasht-e-Leili has been disturbed," said Dan McNorton, a spokesman for the U.N. mission in Afghanistan. He declined to say how or when the site had changed, saying that details would be available in an upcoming report. Boston-based Physicians for Human Rights, which discovered the Dasht-e-Leili site in 2002 and has performed autopsies on some of the bodies, said its researchers found two large pits at the site, both about 100 feet by 50 feet, in July that appeared to have been dug this year. "These are real holes appearing to have been professionally dug, and signs of heavy machinery were observed," the group's deputy director, Susannah Sirkin, said.

This is not surprising. Sadly the whole issue is not surprising and personally I find that very troubling.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That someone is named in the article....The US military was sent back to the area to guard it.....

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yes that someone was Abdul Rahim Dostum, the Northern Alliance General who is accused of overseeing the atrocities..Not the US military. Now being that the Northern Alliance is allied with the US military might mean that the US military should hold some of the responsibility. Since they should be watching out for things like this...so as they don't happen. So those that blindly read the IRANIAN news source from a slanted view point should also read the associated press report as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
one who believes Iranian propaganda web sites.

and the photo shows German troops during WW2 shooting people.
just blow the photo up and look at the uniforms

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
uhm....the sources for the story come from more than just a "propaganda site" if you'd bother to research it prior to posting.

Propaganda is all over the media and it requires the ability and desire to look deeper into articles to get the broad picture.

Taking any article on face valuie without looking for additional articles is IMO irresponsible.

[edit: just google "afghan mass grave" too easy.
This is a legitimate story and not mere propaganda.

[edit on 12/17/2008 by justgeneric]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

We don't know if American forces were at the site or present when these people died, but we do know that they were present during the surrender and the handover of the prisoners."

www.presstv.ir...

How many boots did the US have on the ground at that time? Should the US really be responsible for the prisoners once they were handed over to its allies? I don't ever see a sheriff or cop responsible for what happens to a prisoner in the hands of the FBI or CIA. You have zero proof that the US is to blame for the deaths of these 2000 prisoners, but yet many of you want to lay it all on the US. Even if these guys surrendered to US special forces, you can't expect a unit of 6 to 12 men to guard 2000 prisoners. They handed them over and continued their job. They are special forces not MP's.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I doubt very much that 2000 Taliban surrendered to a unit of 6 to 12 US special Forces personnel.

I'm also sure those that handed the Taliban prisoners to the Northern alliance were under no illusion as to the level of treatment the prisoners could expect, but maybe that was a factor? After all, 2000 prisoners is a lot of mouths to feed, not to mention housing and guarding them.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
On Google Video their is a documentary about this called Convoy of Death. It's been out for 2 or so years, I've been wondering why no one has really talked about it.

new topics

top topics

join