It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems, earmarks, and the screwing over of the troops.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Earmark helps businesses, not troops
Seattle Times special report | After being lobbied by companies making a decontamination powder, powerful U.S. senators Charles Schumer, Hillary Rodham Clinton and Arlen Specter forced the military to keep buying what it considers inferior chemical-warfare protection for the troops.

By Christine Willmsen and David Heath

Seattle Times staff reporters

Scientists have discovered a lotion that can save the lives of U.S. soldiers exposed to chemical weapons — a product vastly superior to the standard-issue decontamination powder.

Naturally, the Defense Department wants to scrap the powder and switch to the more-effective lotion.

But there's a problem: After being lobbied by the companies making the powder, several members of Congress pushed through two earmarks worth $7.6 million that forced the military for the past two years to keep buying the inferior product.

The product, known as M291, is made from a resin sold exclusively by a Pennsylvania chemical company, which is then processed into powder by a New York company, then assembled into individual kits at a facility in Arkansas.

Among the lawmakers who championed the earmarks are Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.; Arlen Specter, R-Pa.; and Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.

The rest of the story can be read at the source.
================================================

But you know, the Dems are only looking out for the troops. You know, making sure they have the best of the best for fighting a war.

Considering those involved it doesn't shock me too much.

Nice world we live in.

"It rubs the lotion on the skin, or else!!!"

[edit on 12-12-2008 by jerico65]

Mod Edit: Fixed external tags on article.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I would like to comment on this but I don't think I can for fear of being banned.

I would expect nothing less, especially from Chuck and Hillary.

The people that give the most to protect this country get the least and most inferior in protection for themselves.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Sickening!! Companys and corporations should not be able to give donations to politicians. And every penny that politicians spend on campaign and in there personal lives should be accounted for.

Im not talking about hounding them, just random checks. Anyone who puts a corporations interest above those who they should protect should be sacked and charged.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have to agree, it's pretty bad. I wouldn't put it past any politician, regardless if they were a Dem or Republican.

I don't think there's anything worse than a politician; except for a child molester.

new topics

top topics

join