It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC says conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindy22761

This morning ABC had an article implying that conspiracy websites are contributing to mental health issues, therefore they should not be allowed.

Belief in conspiracy theories is just as American as apple pie.
Some people take up conspiracy theories as a form of stress-relieving mechanism.
Some people are into conspiracy theories to make money out of a sgement of the gullible public. These hucksters, while they pose as conspiracy believers, are not really believers in conpsiracy theories but may be simply taking advantage of them.
Those who make money out of a segment of the gullible public constantly create and invent new conspiracy theories in order for their career to keep surviving.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
they will hear the voice of humanity its really boiling down to a simple state of "time".

Good always prevails!!

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The Australian government is planning on censoring Australia's internet after review off the Chinese doing this.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by meadowfairy
The Australian government is planning on censoring Australia's internet after review off the Chinese doing this.

I've noticed lately a large Australian communist movement. That really disturbs me, and we appreciate you sharing.

With that said, this article actually isn't suggesting Internet Censorship. You may argue it's propaganda for it, but I would argue against that as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Yoda do you have information on the Australian communist movement.

The newspapers are definately jumping up and down on stories about the internet to further help the censoring.

I kind of believe it can be related if other media pick up on it and use it as a tactic to further fuel their agenda.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Yoda do you have information on the Australian communist movement.

The newspapers are definately jumping up and down on stories about the internet to further help the censoring.

I kind of believe it can be related if other media pick up on it and use it as a tactic to further fuel their agenda.

I wish I did, but I can tell you one thing. I got in a debate with an individual whom posted Chinese military pictures of their Naval and Military vehicles. He was a communist, who was obviously a bit deranged, and would fight for China until the death. We argued over who was more militarily capable, China or America.

At the end of this long heated debate, I found out this individual (user name chinawhite) lives in Australia.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
What a "D!" that guy you mention is. Chinese come to live in Australia to escape the communism over there and to be able to have more children.

The more i open my eyes the more i see the totalitarianism is creeping in Australia.

The prime minister has lived in China for quite some time and worked for covert operation. So we are in for some wild times.

As for conspiracy websites causing mental illness they are in over their heads. Mental illness is like a brain disease and lifelong paranoia, it does not happen from reading sometthing on the internet unless you are already deemed mentally ill. On the other hand it might be inundated with types that have that disease but i highly doubt a clear thinking intelligent individual will take all and everything personally. Maybe mentally challenged will be gullible to all and everything but that does not classify them as skitzo unless otherwise dependent on the information.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Reply to meadowfairy

I would argue that I obtained life-long paranoia originally through the conspiracy of chem-trails, told to me by an older friend of mine. Then while observing chem trails I saw UFO's flying next to the planes spurting chemicals. You can do the math for yourself

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Did you only get your source off information from that guy?

Did you convince yourself to lock yourself in the house at all times or go in hiding when those planes flew over?

Did you viciously scratch yourself from the thought off morgellon's?

Being suspicious and actually literally being paranoid and thinking you have sometthing wrong with you may be another mental illness. On the subject being suspicious is a natural instinct of every human being. We need to be suspicious some time in our life.

As for UFO if you dont understand what an object in the sky you have never seen is is not usually delusion.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by meadowfairy

Of course I didn't lock myself in my house. Let's not even call it a mental illness because it is not. Paranoia, and what I have experienced in the past would most definitely be considered a 'mental health issue' by psychological professionals.

What me and you do by retaining and conversing about this information however is extremely mild paranoia. My largest claim to the subject at hand is an individual already experiencing paranoia. Let's say an individual has an unfounded claim surrounding the government watching him individually. After logging on to ATS he then has "concrete evidence" that the government is watching them. Fuel to the fire.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Psych professionals need to keep in business by drugging and dumbing down people by keeping them medicated on dangerous pharmaceutical drugs. They dont care for your wellbeing. In my friends case the drugs can make them worser.

Sites like this may bring fuel to fire only if that person thinks he has sometthing wrong with him and goes to the doctor about it. The paranoia im mentioning is taking on the persona off that information to which is absorbed by the individual and taking it in as virtually like a dream, it becomes the essence off them. Suspicious paranoia may or may not have evidence to back it up and without evidence it will be considered rumour, suspiscion or hoax.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Psych professionals need to keep in business by drugging and dumbing down people by keeping them medicated on dangerous pharmaceutical drugs. They dont care for your wellbeing. In my friends case the drugs can make them worser.

Sites like this may bring fuel to fire only if that person thinks he has sometthing wrong with him and goes to the doctor about it. The paranoia im mentioning is taking on the persona off that information to which is absorbed by the individual and taking it in as virtually like a drema it becomes the essence off them. Suspicious paranoia may or may not have evidence to back it up and without evidence it will be considered rumour or hoax.

If you are in a good state of mind with no psychological history, this site will do no harm to you what-so-ever.

My opinion is in defense of the article because of my previous example. I do feel that, "conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues" because of the percentage of previously mentally ill individuals whom may stumble upon this sort of information. They don't know how to constructively absorb it and use it.

Which of course brings the debate back to where is the evidence to back it up?

I used Timothy McVeigh bombing the Murrah building due to federal corruption. Although he did not receive his information from a conspiracy theory website, it was conspiracy motivated. This example was shut down a few pages ago because obviously he obtained his information directly from the military, rather than a website. I believe it's not where you obtain the material from, but rather that you do obtain the material. In the hands of a mentally ill individual, it has potential to do little good and potential to build up to something bad.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
No big secret why its ABC...LMAO---we are not all idiots

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Ok it states that it 'contributes' to mental illness. How i interpret that is my individual response, others will see it differently.

When i think about the word 'contributes' it has many different outcomes. Does it contribute to the already mentally ill or does it spawn the very illness.

It is hard to take such an article lightly without analysing it first from different angles.

It could work for or work to suppress the truth. Does that mean that sites like this should be totally shut down, not necessarily. There needs to be data and overwhelming evidence to show if sites like this cause grief to families and maybe even death. But thats over speculation, that can not only put conspiracy sites in the heap but related free speech sites or just even forums in particular if it gets out of hand.

Every individual needs are not always met with sites like this and that is understandable. It can and i agree become an obsession to wad through pages and pages of what sounds like science fiction and waddle the brain but to say it causes mental illness is how should i put it thin.

Like i'm not sure if this site has a a warning to individuals about this site may cause head problems but if it comes to needing to nanny this site with rules and regulations pertaining to an individuals mental capacity and emotions then they have set themselves up for a good fight.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
To give an example of the difference between this site, other conspiracy sites, and the controlled media that voiced this concern, I will bring up a world class news item, one that should have been reported by all media throughout the world, yet received not one mention: Oklahoma declares soveriengity! You can download the pdf from their government site. In the document you will find that only a scant few opposed this, and you will also find the reason for their decision, mention of constitutional abuses, and mention of knowledge of more to come.

My mother watches the news constantly, so I gave it a couple days, asked her if she heard, went online, and then, went to a few mainstream medias webpage to search for articles on this. There were none. Then, I called up cbc news and left a message complaining of their quality of service, asking why they had not reported this world class news item, and that they could download the document from the government website, and that it was all over the net. I then emailed the Sun and left the same message.

Oh, my we are a crazy bunch here, to be privileged enough to get some real news once in a while.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I just think it's a misconception that it's dis-information propaganda towards a new age of internet censorship.

Would you give a book filled up with everything posted on ATS to the mentally ill? Would you not expect repercussions?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well lets look at it this way. Have you observed a mental health facility? Have you observed how they would use and acknowledge the book of ATS?
Are you assuming what the outcome would be when you give the book to the mentally ill person?

It would be neutral. You are also assuming they would not know how to analyse right form wrong they aint vegetables. But most probably when you think of a mental patient with a book you will think they would be hitting it against the wall numerous times then have the patience to read it.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Well lets look at it this way. Have you observed a mental health facility? Have you observed how they would use and acknowledge the book of ATS?
Are you assuming what the outcome would be when you give the book to the mentally ill person?

It would be neutral. You are also assuming they would not know how to analyse right form wrong they aint vegetables. But most probably when you think of a mental patient with a book you will think they would be hitting it against the wall numerous times then have the patience to read it.

The problem is every individual has an individually working mind. Yours works similar but not the same as mine, which welcomes in our different opinions on this subject.

The same is for those in a mental institution. While one individual may read the book and find it interesting, and expand his mind/knowledge. Another may read the book and take it as seriously as he takes his school books. Some people weren't blessed with differentiating reality from total BS. Those individuals, in my opinion, are the ones who would suffer from visiting ATS.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Yes true because my friend is one off them. But then why would you show them?
Also where do you think this leaves ATS?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Yes true because my friend is one off them. But then why would you show them?
Also where do you think this leaves ATS?

You don't have to show them anything. ATS is more search engine friendly than many websites.

If somebody tells them, "Reptilian's rule the world", and they type it in Google, it is likely that they find evidence to further solidify this paranoid delusion on ATS or a similar website.

This should have no affect on ATS. ATS is freedom of speech and press which is the basis of democracy. Individuals that could be negatively effected by this type of exposure, possibly even having mental illness', are the ones who should be blocked from viewing the websites. It is not the websites that should suffer, that is a common misconception in this thread.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join