It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers intercept, destroy ballistic missile in space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Soldiers intercept, destroy ballistic missile in space

www.army.mil

FORT GREELY, Alaska (Army News Service, Dec. 10, 2008) - Alaska Army National Guard troops from the 49th Missile Defense Battalion launched and directed a ground-based interceptor Friday that destroyed a target ballistic missile in space, miles above the Pacific Ocean.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, it's nice to know about another successful test of the missile defense system. The article continues on about some of the training carried out by the 49th MDB as well as stating as it being among only 2 centers like it for the USA missile defense systems mid-stage. The third one is going to be the one in Poland.

www.army.mil
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Wonderful, i feel so much safer knowing the USAF are looking after the sky...... Fantastic news. Im sure my children will be much safer in the future

[edit on 11-12-2008 by dangleb3rry]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
... From the post title, I was expecting to hear about austronaut soldiers or something similar...

As for shooting a ballistic missile in space, what is so big a break through about that? They launched a ballistic missile on a predetremined and set course. They then launced another ballistic missile with a warhead at it, to a set point in the flight path. A child could have done as much if he was behind the controlls tbh...

The real break through will come when they can detect and calculate a intercept path in real time, on the fly, heck if they can get past Russian missile in flight manouvers, then they can claim success (at present the Russian missile will just shift at random, then the calculations are shot and then no intercept possible...).

top topics

join