It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest full moon for years enhanced by shooting stars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Pretty cloudy/drizzly here atm
Hopefully it clears up by nightfall

Though I was also hoping to spot some Geminids
The moon will ruin that to an extent regardless.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Beautiful sight, but I fail to see the "shooting stars" part.

Any info on that OP?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Have a look here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Man on Fire
Pictures, Pictures!!

I took this last night, but didnt know the right settings to use with the moon ( I have a new DSLR). I do now, so tonights pictures should be better.

External Image

[edit on 12/12/08 by Cyprex]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
well I am so disappointed... all night, covered by thick cloud.

We need the rain in South Australia so that is fantastic but bad for night sky viewing

Oh well, sounds like some people who got to see it got some pics?
Look forward to seeing them.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
I took this last night, but didnt know the right settings to use with the moon ( I have a new DSLR). I do now, so tonights pictures should be better.

Nice shot - I like it, especially the diffraction spikes.

Technically the moon is overexposed. If you want to see detail in it, you need to reduce your exposure. Since the moon is a Sun-lit object you can use the 'sunny 16 rule' to work out an appropriate base exposure, and bracket (change your exposure) from there.

The sunny 16 rule says use 1/125 @ F16 with 100 ISO in a brightly lit place @ noon (or something along those lines). I'd start with something like 1/500 @ F11 with 800 ISO, and try higher and lower shutter speeds. Use a tripod/cable release if you have one.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I am SOOOOOO GLAD you posted this!

Thank you x1000!

Last night the Moon was just stunning a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y STUNNING!
But tonight... I've never seen anything quite so beautiful in all my life. Looking out over the sea, the Moon coming up so warm and yellow and clear at the end of the horizon, and HUGE is not the word! It looks bigger coming up over the sea anyway but tonight's Moon rise I’ll never forget as long as I live!

I can't wait for tomorrow night!

Thank you so much again!

*P*E*A*C*E

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well, it started raining here in North Yorkshire yesterday afternoon and hasn't stopped since ... so frustrating !

Woody

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I was lucky, yesterday, at the end of the day, the sky cleared and the Moon appeared in a cloudless sky.

I took the opportunity and brought home the camera we have at work (my boss lets me use it as if it was mine
), and when I got home, after some time to wait for the Moon to rise above the building next to the one where I live, I could take some photos of the Moon.

Most of the photos were bad, this is one of the best photos, cropped(click on the photo for full size).

Unfortunately, I am not a good photographer.

Edit: I forgot to say that it started getting cloudy just after I took the photos, and some hours latter it was raining, and it is still raining now, 24 hours latter.

[edit on 13/12/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Would this be why my moods were utterly low for most of the day?

However I did see the moon, and just awe'd as usual.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join