It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence that NASA is altering the true colours of the pictures of Mars

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This is on related videos list on my video
Thought I'd like to share.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Ahh yes I have that link saved in favorites. Thanks for posting the video!

See your u2u.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Found an interesting utility...
A Nanometer wavelength to RGB Converter by Miguel Moreno
miguelmoreno.net...

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kankindog

Thanks for your help
My program is progressing well.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Deaf Alien: The website areo.info is my private site, not connected to NASA or JPL. The raw data used to create the color images comes from the official MER rovers site and the Exploratorium site.

Using the Viking image data to create true color images is much more simple as those cameras used everytime the same exposure settings within each RGB triplet frame.

You can access raw Viking Lander data in color format on my enhanced Viking Lander EDR site which is based on the original NASA CDROM with added color browse and raw images:

areo.info...
areo.info...

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Holger Isenberg

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Right now I am working on controls where you can adjust brightness, gamma, change XYZ->RGB matrices, etc. The program is getting along well and strong. I hope it will be useful for anyone interested.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
That would indeed be of interest as not many programs can be easily used to create RGB images from more than 3 single band frames. I hope it runs on Unix, too.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Fantastic! Thanks for the link to the little wavelength utility!!

Excellent Holger! Thanks for posting the links to your data!

And KUDOS to DA! Sounds like that program is comming along well! Do you think we should show our first results from the two different formulas from Cornell and CIE?

There is definately a discrepancy between the established standard and the other.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Holger Isenberg

That would indeed be of interest as not many programs can be easily used to create RGB images from more than 3 single band frames. I hope it runs on Unix, too.

Hmm, I haven't much experience with X windows programming. I'll have to learn that. However, wine will be very useful in this case at this moment.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
From Spirit, dataset Sol 040 found HERE.

A great horizon view shortly after Spirit lands on Mars. Looks like another nice day in the Martian deserts.

Full size HERE.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
From Spirit, dataset Sol 033 found HERE.

The rover Spirit finds itself in a very rocky area, and these rocks have the bluish covering on their tops. Note how they seem to be clustered in the lower elevation area compared to the slightly higher ground level off in the distance.

Full size HERE.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
From Spirit, dataset Sol 037 found HERE.

More of the blue head rocks gathered together in a cluster as Spirit checks out its surroundings shortly after landing. Some of this blueish stuff also appears to be on the dirt surfaces as well, but not covering it completely.

This image was processed using DA's new program with the CIE color standard formula module, and then brightness and contrast turned up a bit in Gimp. I think his program does quite a nice job dont you?!!

Full size HERE.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 24-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IceColdPro

Plenty of people have said NASA is changing the colors of the photographs. Stop the insults and provide evidence of NASA actually changing the colors.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I thought that it was a known fact and only a PR stunt. Since the real colors are dull brown and people expect to see red they hue them to that directon.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I would say that even for most of the "recolored" NASA images, the sky is not so much blue as it is flat gray. Compared to the reddish color of the soil, that tends to make it look a lot bluer than it likely really is.

Either way, it's still not a very cozy looking planet. Looks like a lot of thin air and cold rocks. The most interesting thing to be found there as far as I'm concerned are the Rovers and a few other crashed probes.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks

Plenty of people have said NASA is changing the colors of the photographs. Stop the insults and provide evidence of NASA actually changing the colors.

'We' have and you are making a mockery of legitimate skepticism and practically everything that goes along with presenting evidence. Do you at least have new objections or are you clinging to the old one's as if they have never shown to be based on your own ignorance of planetary exploration?

Stellar

jra

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I found another page on making realistic colour images from the MER's Pancam. The guy uses five of the filters that the human eye can see, instead of just using three. Here's the site: www.wronkiewicz.net... I think the results look pretty good.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rocksarerocks

You can see the images where there is a part of the lander that is meant for color correction. The hue is way up towards red but it is not that they're trying to hide or manipulate somthing. It's just that everyone expects to see red so they give them red. It's just PR.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Deaf Alien has written a 3rd version of his program that takes the raw dataset images and layers them producing a color image.

Here is the first test result of the new 3rd revision of his program. I think it looks fantastic!!!

Full size HERE

For DA's notes: RGB workspace-NTSC
Bright-35%
Gamma-no effect-control had no effect on image
Filter layers L4, L5, L7
Sol 033

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 2-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Interesting...

I took that photo direct from the website and it looks like this

I put it on a basic photo package and literally just slid the colour temperature slider to the cool scale
(I am an artist and use photography a lot, so I know about adjusting colours on photos and this looked like it was a photo with basic warm colour manipulation). Here's how it looks with the slider to cool

If this sky was red in the original picture it would stay red when under cool slider, just a bit greyer red, here's an example, a colourful picture with all sorts of colours to see how they alter under cool slider

and under exactly the same amount of cool slider as the 'mars' photo. The reds stayed recognisably red and didn't turn like the blue sky in the 'mars' photo.

edit on 16-8-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join