It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Experience With Predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
When I was a child I grew up hearing all sorts of predictions. I grew up in a very fundamentalist Christian Church where hearing a person prophesy something new once a week about the end of time was not in the least bit surprising.

The biggest one I remember was the Y2K one. Jesus was coming back, the world would fall apart and be ready! So, with that in the back of our minds us kids went about our daily lives in fear and anticipation of the big date. I specifically remember this because I was going to be 15 years old then! Wow, I would practically be an adult.

So I would pack my little bag, have my shoes by my bed, extra clothes and pretty much as prepared as an 11 year old can be. But, as the day drew to an end the fireworks in NYC went off without a hitch and nothing happened!

I guess Jesus decided we weren't ready to receive him yet. Guess we better get back to work on ourselves in preparation for the next big date!!

Here's the trouble. I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with predictions about the future. It's a part of human nature to try and guess what's ahead of us I think. But when people start living their lives around these predictions that's where it can get a bit questionable.

Life is short enough and negative enough without adding more fear to the pile. You can while away your days counting down until the next big predicted day, fearful, or otherwise, putting all your energy and focus on it and completely miss some wonderful moments and opportunities!

Be aware of the predictions if you must, and keep them in the back of your mind until the date comes and goes but leave it there! Go out, live your life, focus on improving yourself, helping others, smell the flowers every once in a while. Maybe try looking at the world, this very moment, without obsessing over the future, you might find some wonderful things right under your nose.

I don't want to come off as telling people what to do. But if this helps someone in some way focus on other things in life than the next big date that's my goal. I've been there, I grew up in fear and anticipation of the next big date and guess what? I'm still here, I'm still alive, and when I started focusing on each and every day individually in my life that's when the magic started to happen.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, find another one. No judgement here, just my opinion from my own personal experience.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by seeker11]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I know what you're saying. Just reading some of the threads in here, I see how people can become obsessed with following predictions, and waiting for something terrible to happen. So much that it disrupts their lives. Hell, we're all gonna die one day. I'd like to enjoy the time I got. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared for -insert favorite scenario here- But otherwise, I say enjoy life, have fun, love and be loved.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
We all can make predictions, just don't tie it to date to it and it will come true. If and when it does happen, you are prophet. Nuff said

[edit on 10-12-2008 by guliver]

[edit on 10-12-2008 by guliver]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." Alfred from the movie Dark Knight

And thats mostly all these conspiracy nuts out there

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

I think there's a part of us that has become addicted to drama. We've become so accustomed to it that if something bad is not happening somewhere than there must be something wrong. Thats where the predictions come into play. If something is not instantly going wrong, well then by golly it soon will be!

I'm only half joking.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Around the time of 9/11 I lost my ability to cope with life and things around me. I eventually went in the hospital over it also. But the weirdness only got worse as I began to recall many past memories involving 9/11 religion, remote viewing, aliens etc.

I had gone to my sisters church and prayed with some evangelist on his birthday "that god would reveal the truth to me." Unfortunately, the truth was so mixed up with lies, that I couldn't tell which was which.

To make a longer drawn out boring story short, I ended up on disability. Apparently, with the help and humiliation from a government agency that's known about me for most of my life. I guess I have a pretty large file by now.

The alleged 2012 doom prophecy, in a way as if, will make many of us more equal if it does happen. I don't plan on going anywhere.(this time)

I think I'll just stay at home and see what happens on the news from the comfort of my own home. I might stock up on a few things just for the heck of it. I've heard about people burying supplies. (shhhh)

The current predictions of earthquakes that might not happen will just give many a relief that it was wrong.(again) In a weird way, I'm kinda looking forward to it if it does.
Everyone likes a reality show, don't they?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yes, I agree, if one grew up in a certain religious family it can mess the individual up for quite a while.

Definitely good to be free of fear and hopeful/positive and enjoy life.

The problem lies with the clergy and the families, the problem lies with religious interpretations/doctrines and religious agendas.

To preach the fires of hell to keep people in control provides just SOME insight into why religion hasn't done much good for mankind.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gandalph

Yes, it took me a while to slog my way to the surface through all the muck. I can't say I have any regrets though, my perspective has been quite broadened and is continually expanding outwards.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TeeJay

I totally agree. Don't miss out on living your life waiting for a prediction to come true.

Don't live from prediction to prediction like one would live paycheck to paycheck.

top topics

join