It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any point of attending church?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
God is supposed to be everywhere, right?
So why exactly do millions of people attend church? You're hardly any closer to God because you're sat infront of a statue of jesus or mary, are you?

Not knocking anyone's religious beliefs, just looking for other opinions and thoughts on the matter.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Recieving the Eucharist is the greatest sacrement or something...so you go to church to recieve it. But alot of ppl i know dont go to chruch...they just stay home and have silent prayer.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Church is a good place to go as long as your not there for god. If you there for that you'll end up confused and disappointed. come to the realization that you are the church and forget the buildings

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I think church is a way to make your belief in God stronger and remind you that he is there. Most people DO believe in God, but get caught up in their lives and forget about him. It also gives you the opportunity to commune with people that share your beliefs.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Most of the people I know who go to church are the biggest fecking hypocrites around. They go just so the neighbours can see how 'pius' they are and the next day screw some poor bastard over.

On the other hand, I know decent Christian people who don't go to church just for that reason. They know its full of holier than thou arseholes who wouldn't know Christ if he stuffed a eucharist up their noses.

I know what type of Christian I prefer.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Most of the people I know who go to church are the biggest fecking hypocrites around. They go just so the neighbours can see how 'pius' they are and the next day screw some poor bastard over.

On the other hand, I know decent Christian people who don't go to church just for that reason. They know its full of holier than thou arseholes who wouldn't know Christ if he stuffed a eucharist up their noses.

Come on Pisk, I didnt think you fell for stereotypes. Yes there are luke-warm Christians, Ive met a whole bunch throughout my life. Hell, even some of my family falls into this category.

But there are some people who go for the reasons I posted above.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Oh wow, I knew we'd get some varied opinions!
I agree with Pisky, and I'm talking about the building here, more than the actual church. But I'm not much of a believer in the church as a whole anyway; I believe in God, but the bible is mis-mashed with man made tales, and it leaves alot out too...

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion

Originally posted by Pisky

Come on Pisk, I didnt think you fell for stereotypes. Yes there are luke-warm Christians, Ive met a whole bunch throughout my life. Hell, even some of my family falls into this category.

But there are some people who go for the reasons I posted above.

I didn't say that all church goers were hypocrites - just most of the ones I know. I also said that I know Christians who don't go to church (They prefer to meet in their houses for worship). I wasn't sterotyping anyone, merely explaining my observations.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Any point in going to church?

Well...not if you aren't religious.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
lol Jonna, what if you are religious
?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I say believe what you want, stay and home and SAVE YOUR MONEY! The whole reason churches arent taxed on the money they receive is because they are expected to use it the help the community. Unfortunately if your not a X-ian community member you'll never see it. You don't see them using it to feed the hungry heathens. They use it for fixing the church, church events and outings etc.......... not much of it goes into the community outside of the church at all. My inlaws church is always asking for donations and funds. I've never seen them use it for anything but themselves in their community.

So I say save your money, buy a homeless guy meal or pair of shoes! That is money well spent!

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well said favouriteslave.
I don't think a week goes by without seeing another church on the local news need it's roof repairing...

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
To the "Coolest Lady"-

Being as we are all "Sinners", I believe that people go to church to get a moral boost. It is in human nature to focus on the bad in things, and be negative all of the time. Many people go to church to simply get there feet back on the ground, and help them focus on what really matters in life. Some people (like myself), are not able to attend church on a weekly basis. When we are able to go attend, it feels good, and everyone is happy to see you, and full of joy. This is where it is important to find a church that you enjoy going to. I have been to many churches were after not attending for awhile, and we were kinda given the "Oh, havn't seen you for a while, Wink-Wink, Nudge-Nudge, Judge-Judge" speech. Jesus spoke of this in the bible, the danger of judging others when you should be looking at yourself, and whenever I heard this type of thing, I wouldn't let it get me down, nor should it you. We searched far and wide to find a church that fit us, and accepted us for who we are. There are a lot of "Old School" churches out there, and when you go to this type of church, if your younger, the music and messages they have just don't seem to fit.

What I am trying to say is that you are looking at church like it is something you have to do, otherwise people will judge, and YES, sadly many people will. Just don't let this turn you away from the Christian faith, just keep searching for that church that "Fits" you and your family. It is also said in the bible that you should not just go to church for apperances sake, that you are better off praying to God in a closet of your home, and having your prayers to him come from your heart than attending church all the time and "fake" praying just because others do it! I believe that yes, God is everywhere, and yes, I think he likes to have many people come together to worship him in a loud voice. But once you accept Jesus as your savior, god lives inside you, and if you listen close enough, your belief in him will shine forth in your daily actions and attitude and just the things you do will affect others around you for the better!

God Bless-

SevenAngels

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Go to church only because you feel it is necessary. DOn't go because you feel obligated due to someone else and their separate beliefs. If you are going to find God anywhere, you must find him in yourself first. If you feel that church is the way to do that and you want to go. If not, then stay at home and search. I don't think that a god whole supposedly loves us more than anything we can comprehend will turn his back on a person for thinking on their own.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Why thankyou for the coolest lady part Seven Angels...

see that's what annoys me about church, so many people going for the wrong reasons. And then there's the maintaining of all the churches, I mean in Britain, you think of a church, you think old and in need of a new roof with an ad on the door asking for money to fix the roof or buy new candles...
When I want to feel spiritual I take my dog up the viking way, right next to our house, you can see the whole city and it's so quiet, now THAT'S God's land, he created it.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
There was a comedian who said that if they taxed the churches, the budget deficit would be instantly reversed. Or something like that. Can't remember who said it. May have been George, but I'm not sure.

On the issue of going to church though, once again, my pixy hubby beats me to it.

I think it would be great if the people you see going to church were really going there for spirituality maintenance and for learning how better to love and accept their fellow human beings and our differences.

But what I see basically is the mini-van set, in an effort to impress their neighbors going to church once a week so they can stand up and say "look at what a GOOD person (sheep) I am I go to church once a week !"

What they should really say is "Once a week I go to church to further my studies on how to look down my nose at those who are different from me and my Pod People comrades, while I'm there I say the right sugary sweet things and make all the correct facial expressions but during the rest of the week I'm a major asshole to everyone I come across".

Negative ? maybe, but the question was put out there and that's my answer. Maybe when I stop seeing what I'm seeing out there my answer will change.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyCool21
When I want to feel spiritual I take my dog up the viking way, right next to our house, you can see the whole city and it's so quiet, now THAT'S God's land, he created it.

I hear you on that one. I like going outside in the morning. The sun is coming up and the light hits the trees and grass at just the right angle. It's cool out and the sky is beyond blue. (Nope, don't live in England) That's when I feel closest to God.
I do endorse going to Church however. Its good to go somewhere where the focus is completely on God. If you find a good church where you get good instruction you'll enjoy it. Just ignore the attention getters, hyprocites, and focus on God. I think this helps increase your faith.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

It is also said in the bible that you should not just go to church for apperances sake, that you are better off praying to God in a closet of your home,

SevenAngels, would you happen to know exactly where in the Bible it speaks of this? I'd like to read more into that.

It's my belief that you don't need to go to Church to be a good Christian, as it seems many other people here believe. I'm 19, and still trying to find my religious path.

My mother is quite religious, but at the same time I can see the "going to Church so people think well of her" deal in regards to her Church-goingness. Don't get me wrong, she is very religious, but a big reason she goes to Church I think is so people won't think bad of her. She's in the chior, goes to Church every weekend, things like this.

I on the other hand hardly go to Church; sometimes I will go with my friends at school, or sometimes when I'm home. But for the most part I try to find my own way. She gets mad that I don't go to Church as much as her, she says "well so and so's kids go, everyone always asks where you are, etc etc" and I don't buy it. I'm not gonna go to Church so people will think better of me. This especially applies to holidays. I didn't go to Church on Christmas or Easter, because I felt that going just because it is a holiday belittles the meaning of going to Church.

Well that's my 2 cents on the issue.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca

It is also said in the bible that you should not just go to church for apperances sake, that you are better off praying to God in a closet of your home,

SevenAngels, would you happen to know exactly where in the Bible it speaks of this? I'd like to read more into that.

The Bible says things like this in a few places. The Gospel of Mathew (6:1-4) and (23:3-5) would be a good place to start looking into it. The words sevenangels used are not from the bible. So you shouldn't look for those words. Remeber also that Mathew changed his mind a few times. (Contradiction maybe????? Mathew 5:16.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
YOU ARE THE CHURCH. You do not need a building or even to give money to people to support their building.

YOU, as the body of Christ ARE THE CHURCH. Your body is the Temple of Faith.

Jesus never said, give your money to me, you poor followers of mine, so that I may put a roof over your head, so that I may put food on your plate. HE NEVER SAID anything of the kind.

The "church" is the faithful, Jesus asked that you practice Fellowship. That means love your neighboor, love everyone you come into contact with and tell them that GOD loves them too. And if they "feel" or have the desire to learn more about Christ that in Fellowship, you give them an opprotunity to hear the words of the gospel so that GOD may turn their hearts to him.

The church is a buisness to take money from the misguided flock and to provide them with a symbol of their "faith". Even when Jesus said, do not worship idols, do not worship "things" to remember me by, but worship in your heart, knowing that GOD loves his children.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join