It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge refuses 9/11 guilty plea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Judge refuses 9/11 guilty plea

www.channel4.com

Guantanamo's military tribunal judge says he won't accept guilty pleas from the men accused of masterminding the September 11 attacks.

The first trial of those charged with masterminding the September 11 attacks has thrown up surprise after surprise.

The men were not expected to plead guilty - but began the day by claiming responsibility for the whole enterprise. But there was a condition - the judge must pass the death penalty - which the judge has refused.

Earlier Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four co-defendants said they wanted to confess - but the judge has now asked government lawyers to find out whether he can accept guilty pleas in capital cases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
As much as I would like to see these scumbags hang by the neck, I think the better solution would be to deny their request and make them wait out their days in prison. And every month or so, bring them in front of the judge for some petty procedural issue.

Martyrs they will never be. A nice cold cell awaits them in SuperMax, Florence.

www.channel4.com

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hopefully, the judge in this case is sensing some skullduggery afoot. With the rise of doubt in 9/11's legitimacy, wouldn't this be a great time for scapegoats to the attacks? Especially considering the conditions of the proposed plea are that the accused would be spared of the death penalty, I mean really.. we're going to let the "masterminds of 9/11" live? Give me a break.

Mod Edit: Please Refrain From Personal Attacks.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
But I saw it on the news...!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

As much as I would like to see these scumbags hang by the neck, I think the better solution would be to deny their request and make them wait out their days in prison. And every month or so, bring them in front of the judge for some petty procedural issue.

www.channel4.com

So instead of using my tax dollars to give them a fair trial and find out if they really ever did anything, you would rather waste more of my tax dollars to keep them in prison for life and bring them in front of a judge for no good reason every month? Are you willing to cover my share because personally, I would rather see my tax dollars go toward things that either bring the standard of living in America up, or help foreign countries not want to fly planes into us so baddly.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
An article in the New York Times suggests this request is related to the upcoming inauguration of President Obama. Obama has condemned torture and has even talked about closing Gitmo. Maybe the defendants believe they will receive better treatment at the hands of the new administration, and so are more interested in living.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

www.channel4.com

So instead of using my tax dollars to give them a fair trial and find out if they really ever did anything, you would rather waste more of my tax dollars to keep them in prison for life and bring them in front of a judge for no good reason every month? Are you willing to cover my share because personally, I would rather see my tax dollars go toward things that either bring the standard of living in America up, or help foreign countries not want to fly planes into us so baddly.

Oh, they did it allright. I want to see your tax dollars used to try them and convict them and send them to prison for life.

Life in prison is worse to them than death. I want the worst for them.

And this is from someone who is definitely PRO capital punishment.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Doesnt this sudden news strike anyone as odd?

how convenient that the new alledged perpertrators want to all pleade guilty just before Bush goes out of office?

I mean... huh?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
What a load of bahooey.

Its amazing what torture can do isnt it..

What an absolute load of crap.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by corvin77
Doesnt this sudden news strike anyone as odd?

how convenient that the new alledged perpertrators want to all pleade guilty just before Bush goes out of office?

I mean... huh?

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Oh, they did it allright.

and you know this because......................?

you can prove this how?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
i personally set aside Shiek K Mohammeds claim he was the 'masterMind'...

whats is of greater importance in this trial...
is that this is the first creaky, and ackward attempt at looking competent and authorative of the Military Commissions
who is the 'authority' at this hearing & the later Trial.

you all should be hearing a lot more of the 'Military Commissions' as the economy continues to disintegrate the whole societal fabric.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

you can prove this how?

Because the TV said so.

The TV never lies.

Obey. Shut up.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Originally posted by St Udio
i personally set aside Shiek K Mohammeds claim he was the 'masterMind'...

whats is of greater importance in this trial...
is that this is the first creaky, and ackward attempt at looking competent and authorative of the Military Commissions
who is the 'authority' at this hearing & the later Trial.

you all should be hearing a lot more of the 'Military Commissions' as the economy continues to disintegrate the whole societal fabric.

I'm not sure of your point. Military commissions ( I think you meant military tribunals) have been around as long as militaries have. This is not a "first creaky, and ackward attempt at looking competent". Military tribunals are a much better example of trial and justice than our current judicial system used by civilians.

You act like military tribunals are something new.

you can prove this how?

On the one hand I have KSM's own words that he murdered Daniel Pearl, helped plan 9/11, etc.

www.cnn.com...

On the other hand, I have... what? Wild theories as to why he falsely confessed? Offered up by gov't haters and terrorist sympathizers?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Like I said before, you have a confession from someone who was kept in prison until they confessed. You know as well as I do that we are talking about the other guys sudden change of heart since KSM has been trying to martyr himself all along. Lets just toss him out of the equation for a moment, these other sudden confessions came about why? Oh right, you will rot in our prision until you confess. Hmmmmmmmm...what to do what to do.

If you are going to even bother responding, try to say something new or answer what I actually asked you. What evidence do you have? What proof have you seen? What inside information do you have that proves guilt? Do you have anything other than what you have been told by the people that need you to hear these confessions?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Things at Gitmo have been working in favor of the detainees. Obama has said he will shut it down. They are getting their day in court.

So your claim that "you will rot in our prision until you confess" does not hold water.

You ask for proof. I give you a confession. The man's own words. Not good enough for you.

What would satisfy you? A video of him cutting Daniel Pearl's throat? You'd claim it was photoshopped.:shk:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Hang on a minute.... I thought Osama Bin Hidin' was the mastermind behind the attacks on 9/11? Are they now saying Osama wasn't behind it all from his secret cave / command post?

Seems a little strange that these folks should, all of a sudden, start confessing to masterminding things en masse.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Again, I could care less about KSM or Daniel Pearl so get over that. This is about this group of men suddenly confessing. Did you miss that part? Did you missunderstand it when I mentioned it again???

Show me anything you have to implicate the rest of these men. ANYTHING. If you want to hinge it all on their confession, then I will also remind you that the point is to why they would suddenly confess to this. Especially if, as you say, Obama was gonna make sure they all saw justice. Of course, maybe they did not get that news, maybe they do not believe that, know about it, or even care anymore. 7 years in prison is a long time to lose touch with the outside world. You have avoided my question completely twice now so thanks for making it clear that all you have is one note and we did not show up for that concert tonight.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
To the OP who claims these men are guilty and deserve the worst sort of punishment... excuse the language and with all do respect, but who the **** are you to wish that on someone, let alone that you (or anyone else for that matter) have no proof behind those purely ignorant statements of 'i know it was them that did it because i saw's it on TV'.

I was thinking about that aswell though, the sudden urge to confess. Strange. Lets wait for developments and hope that someone spreads some kind of light on this.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Again, I could care less about KSM or Daniel Pearl so get over that. This is about this group of men suddenly confessing. Did you miss that part? Did you missunderstand it when I mentioned it again???

Show me anything you have to implicate the rest of these men. ANYTHING. If you want to hinge it all on their confession, then I will also remind you that the point is to why they would suddenly confess to this. Especially if, as you say, Obama was gonna make sure they all saw justice. Of course, maybe they did not get that news, maybe they do not believe that, know about it, or even care anymore. 7 years in prison is a long time to lose touch with the outside world. You have avoided my question completely twice now so thanks for making it clear that all you have is one note and we did not show up for that concert tonight.

First of all, chill out. You're becoming more and more shrill with each response.

I'm not here to prosecute these men. But nice try at attempting to deflect the topic.

The question you refuse to address is why they all of a sudden want to be put to death. Very curious, if you ask me. They say they want to become martyrs. Why?

And don't give me that "they don't get the news in Gitmo" crap. They are represented by some of the best lawyers in the system. They get all the info.

Again, start asking yourself why you are so convinced these men are innocent pawns, esp. when they want to be put to death. You'll have to ask them why they would confess to crimes they didn't commit, or why they would want to be put to death. I think their religion has a lot to do with it, tho.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join