It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What country should I flee to?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
To the moderators. I'm not sure if this is in the correct thread, so if it's better off somewhere else then just move it.

Okay, I'm sick of being so freaked out. I don't buy into the FEMA coffins conspiracy and am not sure about the concentration camps.

What flips me out is that US silos are nearly depleted and food suppliers are being denied the credit needed to bring in supplies. They are working off their stockpiles which may be gone in a few months time.

I don't want to witness food riots, martial law, and the likes. Am thinking of fleeing and laying low for a while. Going to want basic necessities. Food, shelter, security. Have a truck that I can sell, and next to no debt. Thinking of saving for the next 45 days, and then ditching out.

What countries in South America are inexpensive and relatively safe? If I came up with $5,500 USD, could I live off of this for a year in an inexpensive location?

[edit on 8-12-2008 by unityemissions]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
There is no safe country. There is no country that is without severe, crippling flaws.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I agree, but what I'm trying to avoid is starvation. I don't know if it will get that bad, but it seems to be heading that way. What I'm looking for is a relatively inexpensive agricultural nation. One that doesn't import most of their food. Is this a fantasy? Are all nations struggling with food shortages?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

You could go to the country anywhere and produce your own food if that's what you fear.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I thought of moving also , but sadisticwoman is right there are no safe ares. Honestly just be outside cites, gives you a better chance and more time maybe. I feel that it's better to know your surroundings , you know the land, resources, friends etc. And most importanly follow your gut feelings and keep positive
This is just a game and most is fear mongering anyways, though things will eventually happen. Do what you've always wanted NOW while you still can.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I do not belive that you will find such a country in South America. it is not really safe there. you will need much more money to protect yourself. but you can find countries with a good agriculture still but rather in central or eastern Europe. but in this case the 5K is still not enough.

but I would propose some pacific island if you can make living as a surfing coach...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Any Country in South America except maybe Peru, Chile and Argentina. They all have extensive natural resources many still unexploited. Some contires also produce more food than their population can actually consume. Still they come with a whole nother group of problems. If you feel you can handle life in the tropics its a good choice.

Note. Argentina and Chile are to dependent on other countries for their food. Except for beef in Argentina. Peru is the toilet of the world.

In my advice go to Colombia, GET A WORKING VISA BEFORE YOU DO, live in a city like Bogota, Medellin or Cali (things have changed allot in the last 10 years.). As a foreigner you should be able to get a descent job. Besides the police wouldn't be able to control the population thus throwing the country into social unrest if situation x occurs. The perfect scenario for a opportunist and survivalist.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Well that's the other option. My uncle has land in a country town that could grow crops. I will probably be moving there if the SHTF. He's got arms also, so we should be okay.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I don't know how you feel about Anarchists, but a lot of them are preparing in just such a way. If you were to ask around the internet, I'm sure you'll come in contact with some who will give you tips and help you out much more than ATS can. Most of us are in the suburbs or cities.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
Any Country in South America except maybe Peru, Chile and Argentina. They all have extensive natural resources many still unexploited. Some contires also produce more food than their population can actually consume. Still they come with a whole nother group of problems. If you feel you can handle life in the tropics its a good choice.

Note. Argentina and Chile are to dependent on other countries for their food. Except for beef in Argentina. Peru is the toilet of the world.

In my advice go to Colombia, GET A WORKING VISA BEFORE YOU DO, live in a city like Bogota, Medellin or Cali (things have changed allot in the last 10 years.). As a foreigner you should be able to get a descent job. Besides the police wouldn't be able to control the population thus throwing the country into social unrest if situation x occurs. The perfect scenario for a opportunist and survivalist.

Let me respectfully disagree...

I would choose Chile, why?. Because I have already lived there, it is the most stable economy of south america and unlike your uninformed opinion it is the most self sufficient country in the region along with Argentina. And by far the safest, by faaaarrrrr..

I would not pick Colombia, why?. Because I also have lived there. You are right things have changed and Uribe is the best president there is in the region and the best one Colombia has so far had. But it is still plagued by violence, not in the main cities, but in the country (I guess that if you stay in cities such as Bogotá, Medellín, Barranquilla or Cali it is all right).

Just my two cents

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
Any Country in South America except maybe Peru, Chile and Argentina. Peru is the toilet of the world.

I appreciate your contribution to the thread; you seem to know of which you speak. That said, what's the problem with Peru? I recently heard someone mention the Andes [in Peru] as an especially wise place to go in these trying times. His view is quite contrary to yours.

Are you willing to elaborate on your statement about Peru? I'm trying to formulate the most sagacious of decisions. What makes it "the toilet of the world?"

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
to the OP

Your 5k wont last long in any major city in South America, maybe in Bolivia they will.

On that budget you are better off going to the country, once again my advise is to get as faer south as you can, did you know that in Chile there are towns were german is the main language?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Camilo1

Thank you for your input, as well. This is important information, from all parties.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

I don't know how you feel about Anarchists, but a lot of them are preparing in just such a way. If you were to ask around the internet, I'm sure you'll come in contact with some who will give you tips and help you out much more than ATS can. Most of us are in the suburbs or cities.

I don't know that I fully understand anarchy, but as far as I can see it makes perfect sense. It's community based and gives the power to the people, bypassing the need for the government. I think they have a bad rap just like atheists get. Just ignorant people talking bad about either, imo.

Will check into this. I gotta keep this to myself except for my contacts online. People already think I'm crazy enough for thinking this as a possibility. I tend to think the same of them for gleefully continuing their insane game.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yes Chile is very stable. But talking about survival in sit x I think Chile's mere size is a disadvantage. Also I think due to its "safeness", a population like Chile's would cope too slowly in a catastrophe, when in Colombia their having at least one every year (the heavy rains this year have caused a lot of mayhem). The violence in Colombia is bad, but as long as you stay out of trouble and use common sense you should t have a lot of problems.

OK I agree I've never have actually lived in Chile but have visited. And believe me I know what I'm saying about Colombia. As a matter of fact I'm sitting in an apartment in Suba (you should know what I'm talking about if you've lived here) right now. I'm taking a short vacation here by the way...

Plus besides one of the only economies that is actually growing right now in the region Colombia has plenty of good things to offer for foreigners.
One more thing, moving to the country would be the only bad move in my opinion in South America. Rural places are very closed up both culturally and socially (poor rich thing) so some people might be very weary of foreigners there. Besides 5k will last you at least 2 months (and that at a very high cost of living) Ok my bad maybe not in Chile or Argentina (because the cost of living is very expensive). Now, I will give you the name of a couple of places in Colombia which will hire you as a teacher while you get a better job, no experience required. I can U2U them to you if you want me to.

Peru is the worst in my opinion because the social differences in that country are far greater than in all other countries in South America. It also has the highest illiteracy rate and is one of the places int this world where you can still witness people #ting on the street in plain daylight (Not trying to sound racist by the way, I'm not...).

[edit on 8-12-2008 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
i would choose Sweden or japan, for the food and quality of life, you might die poor, but you will be happy, or somewhere sunny and a nice place to find women! good luck. Do your research and decided what best fits your needs!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwomi
i would choose Sweden or japan, for the food and quality of life, you might die poor, but you will be happy, or somewhere sunny and a nice place to find women! good luck. Do your research and decided what best fits your needs!

Places with a general high quality of life are often the most expensive to live in.
Look at what rent costs in Japan or try buying a steak in Sweden.
But agreed If you can afford it, its definitely a good idea. Specially because both countries populations are very united.

By the way Camilo1 I stared you for your response as I think its also a very valid point of view.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Here, have some links. Contact these people to see if they can help, or get you more contacts.

Submedia.tv...
(I was working on some art for this guy before it fell through. He's great, and has a lot of friends, so he's a good bet).
www.crimethinc.com...
Again, they have contact with a lot of people. The more you ask around, the more people you'll meet who can help you. I used to know of sites that discussed farm living for the apocalypse, but I can't find them anymore. Good luck, and be sure to fully research everything as much as possible before you make your choice on what to do.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If you are talking about survival then I think you are mistaken once again, there are so many ways to be self sufficient in Chile and quite simply get lost. If you happen to be a WASP chances are you will not be the only one trying to flee.

And you are right Colombia does go through a catastrophe just about twice a year, but precisely because of that you wouldn´t want to spend much time there.

Yes I know where Suba is, good places to live near there in San Jose de Bavaria.

Please be aware that a working VISA in Colombia is purpose made. You cannot get a VISA to work as a doctor and then begin to design furniture, the Colombian immigration system is very flexible, if you are honest the Colombians will treat you fair, if you are dishonest then they will not be mocked, americans tend to think that they will outsmart hispanics, sometimes they are mistaken, just ask a couple of american engineers that had a visa to work in a factory and they decided to teach at a private university, the got expelled from the country and the company that hired them in the first place was fined with a large sum.

They investigate what foreigners are doing, I know it for a fact.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Stay and fight!!!!!!!!!! When the empire is brought down we will travel through the way of Canada and then over to Russia or you can go to South America if you prefer. Leaving right now is a selfish, irresponsible act and will only get you killed.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join