It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political literacy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hi there... I've been thinking about literacy. I think people who have a certain of understanding of issues in certain subject categories have a kind of literacy in that subject. Someone who is literate in rap has listened to many rap songs and can understand them. Someone who is literate in video games has played a lot of video games and understands them. Is that also true for politics? There are a lot of different views in politics and a lot of misinformation strewn about and since because of that no one can really have a good understanding about any one particular issue. They only know bits and pieces of the issues. So, can one be said to understand politics with all the misinformation, the conspiracies, and the secret groups?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Political literacy is more complicated than understanding rap or video games. One must be willing to have a background in history, be willing to at least read the the constitution and the declaration of independence and work to make him or herself aware and knowledgeable of the issues. Only then can one make an intelligent decision concerning the candidates and the issues. It's a lot of work, especially if you are passionate about certian issues and positions, but, win or lose, it you believe in your position, it's worth it.
I supported and voted for McCain/Palin. While I may not agree with Obama, I will support him, as my president, to the best of my ability. If he takes a position I cannot agree with, I will, as I would with my representative or my senators, let him know. And I would work my a$$ off against that particular position.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
All that's needed is a working understanding of gibberish, spin, and BS.

Especially the latter two.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Resinveins]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

So true!

new topics

top topics

join