It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scholars Piece Together Ancient Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I dont know if you have ever seen this ...I was digging in my Odds and Ends section on my Computer and I found this .Thought I would share it ...
Here are some snips go to link and read the whole thing .. ..It is a great read and an awesome find ..
It says we will be able to view them online in 2010 ...

Scholars Piece Together Ancient Bible

By Matthias Schulz

Parts of the 1,600-year-old Codex Sinaiticus -- which includes the world's earliest complete New Testament -- are scattered between Leipzig, London and St. Petersburg. Now researchers want to digitize the fragments and publish the whole volume on the Internet. But controversy still rages over the proper ownership of the relic.

Scattered Book, Checkered Reputation

Parts of the ancient Bible is now scattered around the world. Forty-three pages are in the eastern German city of Leipzig. Three hundred forty-seven pages went to Russia in Tischendorf's lifetime, but Joseph Stalin later sold them to the British government for the record sum of £100,000. Five pages are in storage at the Russian National Library in St. Petersburg. Another 12 remain in Egypt, at St. Catherine's Monastery, which still houses the world's oldest intact community of Christian monks. Members of this community have been celebrating morning mass without interruption for almost 1,500 years.

[Tischendorf was flabbergasted. In the pale moonlight, he leafed through the oldest known copy of Jeremiah, the Book of Revelation and the Epistles.]

THE WHOLE ARTICLE AT LINK
www.spiegel.de...

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Great find, they put this online a while ago, you can actually see the pages right now,and are supposed to be translating it a little at a time. I love the Codex Sinaiticus. It is the oldest known bible that was stolen from the monks on Mt Sinai by Trichendorf. It condradicts alot of the modern bible that we use today for example it has no mention of the Trinity and it also says that when Jesus was healing the lepor he didnt do it out of love and compassion like our modern bible represents but he did it more out of frustration or anger( the guy was irking him), that represents the reaction of what a normal person whould do if they feel bombarded y people always wanting something. Well everyone should know about this Codex and there is a great book named Secrets at Mt. Sinai by James Bentley that has alot of info on the codex. Excellent find again and you can check out the codex at www.codex-sinaiticus.net/en/

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So this should be a while after the Council of Nicea. 4th-5th Century? This of course would be copies that they put together but wouldn't it be wonderful if original texts could be found?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I cant wait till we can view them ourselves in 2010 ..if we are not all in a camp or a tent (from losing all of our homes etc)by then lol ...

I wonder why Russia would have such interest in them ....We all know the Russian Government is not religious ....

[The discovery at the base of Mt. Sinai counts among the great sensations of scientific history -- on a par with Heinrich Schliemann's discovery of Troy and Howard Carter's excavation of Tutankhamun's tomb. After a total of three trips to Egypt the professor from Saxony had retrieved 400 pages of a tattered Bible, including about one-third of the Old Testament and the oldest complete version of the New Testament. The academic world simply called the find "Number One." ]

It says they think about 2nd century ..
The New Testament section of the Codex proves how old it is. It includes not just the usual text but also two apocryphal chapters, which were later removed by church fathers. The Epistle of Barnabas was written by a student of the Apostles, and the Shepherd of Hermas consists of five visions of the apocalypse dating from the start of the 2nd century.
The researchers plan to present their results to the world by 2010 using a Web site. Hundreds of thousands of words will have to be translated and digitized by then. The work is slow, and some Mt. Sinai monks still grow incensed when the name of Constantin von Tischendorf comes up.

"The experts have spent the last two months working on a small report on the early history of the manuscript," one insider says. "The text is only one page long, but they just can't seem to finish it."

He explains the reason for the foot-dragging: "Any kind of consensus disappears whenever they have to decide how to phrase the parts about the legal status of the manuscript."

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I wonder why Russia would have such interest in them ....We all know the Russian Government is not religious ....

It means great prestige and MONEY!!

top topics

join