It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential new feature -- The ATS Book of Threads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Over the years, we've had several requests from members for various methods of creating hard copies of threads, archiving important content, offline versions, and so on.

Moving closer to providing multiple methods for alternative ways to grab ATS content, we've implemented one new item, and are looking for feedback on another.

First, some may have noticed that the "single post" option has been cleaned up and improved. It now prints much nicer and has a more clean ad-free look.

Next, comes the idea of a "Book of Threads" for each month that members and visitors could download to keep on hand, or even print out if you're so inclined.

Here's the first prototype...
november-2008-threads.pdf 2.4mb

It's a self-contained PDF, formatted for offline/print, of the opening post of 200 most-replied threads of the month. If we move forward with this, we'd certainly tweak the layout and improve things a bit... but the basic idea is good enough to show you what we have in mind.

Have a look, and let us know if you think this would be a valuable tool.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I like it.

The font is a little large and a table of contents might be useful, but it is a great idea.
Thank you for providing this.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Love the idea, good job.

I think it will be a change for the better.

-Ign0Rant

[edit on 4-12-2008 by Ign0rant]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I liked it. Providing variety for the members is always a step up. With any new option though you never really know whats going to take off and swim and whats going to sink.

I look forward to seeing where this goes.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
A+ I like it..

I agree on the font..
a smaller font would also be MUCH more printer friendly.. :-D
(104 pages) ouch.. < said the printer

at night (to help myself sleep) I often read before closing my eyes..
I hate bringing my laptop to bed lol and so does my wife.. :-p

this is an AWESOME new way to enjoy ATS.. :-D

cant WAIT for the next installment..

[edit on 12/4/2008 by KATSUO]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Wow, That is a very cool new feature!
Easy to read.Easy to archive for future reference.

I Like the font. Easy on my old eyes.

Will there be a large Button on one (or all) of the main pages to call prominent attention to this new feature?

Would it be possible to have a table of contents as a first page of the PDF with a link to the page within the PDF
itself? I'm sure this has a name, but I don't know what It is called. Not a link to the thread, just to the page in the book
that has the first post and the link.

I don't think that I would be actually printing these, more likely putting each month on a disc and making a yearly album
of them with a yearly table of contents with a few selected threads from each month.

Bill, This really is a very nice feature. Thanks

Peace
edit to add:
Don't forget to flag this, so others will see it and leave some feedback!

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It looks good
I'm all for it!

I do think it would've been even better if there is a table of content, smaller font size & possibly some screen shots of the removed videos?

I also wonder if a slightly different criterion can be utilized to decide which threads shall be included in the book. I know I haven't been here that long as a member nor lurker, but most of the read-worthy threads I've seen are usually not the ones generating the most replies (??). They got lots of flags & stars though...
So why not compile those ones instead?

Better yet, if a thread is presented in a good way, that it looks very much like an article, why not make a free online ATS Thread e-zine? Or challenge the OPs of the threads to make a good article based on their initial post to be featured in the e-zine, in case the OP got a lot of replies/S/F's but not yet article-formatted?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm all for it. We could even have a top yearly which could actually be made into book form and sold. The thread starter if applicable could be given a little monetary compensation. Also it would be nice to have visual aid when it enhances the thread. I mean imagine mikesinghs stuff, it would really keep the readers interest.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Fantastic! I think this is a great idea! It would be wonderful to be able to save these files every month and have archives of all of this great content forever. I'm excited for this.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Great idea! Love it.

I want a Table of Contents, too!
With clickable items to take me right to that title.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I like it. It seems easy to work with but I do have to agree, a table of contents would be helpful. All things considered, a great idea.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Over the years, we've had several requests from members for various methods of creating hard copies of threads, archiving important content, offline versions, and so on.

The NSA, CIA, FBI and Homeland Security appreciate your help.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Cool idea.

And I agree with the need for a Table of Contents and smaller font...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I like it, the font could be smaller and the layout is a tad clumsy but a great idea - this could easily be used to disseminate information, and promote the site.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
NEW REVISIONS

I decided to focus on the top-flagged threads (at least for the years where we had flags) with 25 or more replies.

The format is also refined, and made a lot more readable... more like a magazine.

The headlines stand out more...

And we have a table of contents (clickable not possible)...

And the file size is much smaller at 41 total pages.

The new format example is for October, 2007...

october-2007-threads.pdf 572k

Have a look.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Beautiful!

And btw, the table of contents is clickable, at least it is for me.

[edit on 12/5/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Outstanding! Perfect! Spectacular! Don't change a thing.

And yes, The contents page is indeed clickable for windows users as well...The Dog is running a Mac. I believe.
Try your version again SO..It should click you to the page in the PDF. No problem with Adobe V9.xx running in XP.
Thanks again Bill!

Edit: V8 to v9....had to go look

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Agreed! Great job. Great to see that some good hard copies are like that. Preserving important information and it would be a great pick-up guide to new members and such!

Kudos again.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Definate PLUS!!

You know you could have different versions of this basic concept. A publication for the informative, the rediculous, the outragious, etc etc.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
And btw, the table of contents is clickable, at least it is for me.

Interesting.

I didn't even try clicking the TOC entries
it must be a side benefit of using Mac Pages to format the final version.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join