It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Famine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It's obvious that this planet can only support so many people. I started a thread a while back on population control, some people saw the logic and others just didn't want to. Some used the blanket of freedom to protect themselves from the harsh reality. I love freedom, i will fight to defend it, however this isn't about freedom, it's about simple mathematics.

Currently the worlds population stands at roughly 6.7 billion. By 2050 it is estimated that the population will be nearing 9.5 billion.

Source - www.census.gov...

Now we struggle to feed the population of the world as it is. Advances in GM crops and farming methods have brought us this far, but how much further can it take us?

What people don't understand about food production is the ancillary products needed to keep the yields of crops high. Massive amounts of fertilizers are thrown on land, these are often made using the Haber process which is itself harmful to the environment. Petrol and diesel also are used massively along with other oil products for farming machinery, both running and manufacturing. All of these things take up more and more land and natural resources.

There is a limit and if we don't start to understand that and take action then billions will starve and nature will correct itself. The sad fact is that many people just don't want to face up to it all.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Thats why people need to learn how to be able to live and survive without a credit card and walmart.

Its called survival skills.

There will always be plenty of game and fishing out there to feed people.

But your point is well taken. Its all linked like loops in a chain. Break one loop, and the chain is useless.

Thats why humanity needs to expand out into space. There are tons of resources out there and plenty of area to colonize so that humanity can continue.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 2-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I believe famine is coming but I think it will be a lot sooner than most people believe. A combination of natural disasters, political interference on what to grow, environmental pollution/contamination could throw us into a pretty serious famine in no time. I really hope our politicians are giving this issue a serious look and developing emergency plans in case it happens.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
We cant save the whole world, but there is something each of us can do to ease the problem.

Stock up on dry goods and start cleaning those empty bottles of soda pop and fill them with water. Get extra blankets, some camping gear like a good size tent, sleeping bags, and other outdoor tools.

Read up on camping and survival skills. The best plan is to have a plan.

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

join