It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to see the stars ?? Time-question!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
oops. what i was meant to say:

i always thought that mass and energy would 'warp' or 'sink' into space time curving it, so that things would be dragged down the 'dimple' that the mass created in space-time.(because an object will roll down a hill not up it), which we know as gravity.

Eg. a comet hits earth and makes a hole, the rain then gets trapped in the effect of the whole(sloping downwards) and runs down the whole and builds up at the centre, just like matter would.

Everything trys to travel in a straight line, that why the curvature of space time makes them wobble a bit sometimes.(right?)

Btw. light from far away stars is scarce, and it takes a long time to develop a picture using faint sources(like a couple of days of shots) because the light has been scrambled up going through gas clouds, being absorbed etc. so there aint much of it left if im right?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I don't know. Why go from the actually really simple theory of General Relativity to a probably much more difficult theory with more dimensions? Your theory would have to predict the almost the same as General Relativity, including all these results.

General Relativity is actually not that difficult, I though so at first, but now I'm reading Misnor-Thorpe-Wheeler's Gravitation and it's not that difficult. You just need some math you don't get until you're at university. John Baez explains it here. I suggest you try to read it and see how simple it actually is.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
thank you, my lack of mathematical knowledge often stops me from reading alot of the scientific knowledge out there, any more links to things that describe simply the meaning of some of these more complex equations in science? and the meaning behind them?

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
When the photons from the distant light source come toward you, they are in a certain pattern, giving the image a certain shape and color. A telescope simply stretches the image from the center. At a certain level of magnification, you will get resolution problems, not bump into the planet. It does not actually bring you closer, neither do microscopes.
ed: you would have to be closer to get light that hasn't gotten to you yet.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by icelid]

<< 1   >>

join