It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar molecule found in space could point to extraterrestrial life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I just found the following story on Wired.com--

A sugar molecule linked to the origin of life was discovered in a potentially habitable region of our galaxy. The molecule, called glycolaldehyde, was spotted in a large star-forming area of space around 26,000 light-years from Earth in the less-chaotic outer regions of the Milky Way. This suggests the sugar could be common across the universe, which is good news for extraterrestrial-life seekers. "This is an important discovery as it is the first time glycolaldehyde, a basic sugar, has been detected towards a star-forming region where planets that could potentially harbor life may exist," Serena Viti of University College London said in a press release.

Here's the original article with a lot more info--
blog.wired.com...

This is interesting to me because I have always thought that amino acids, the "building blocks" of life were the thing to look for in theoretically habitable regions.
I also never knew we could detect this kind of thing 26,000 loight years away.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
that is very cool. it makes one wonder

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would like to know just exactly what scientific technique they used to detect it. As I understand it we only see most of the stars outside our immediate area through use of various light spectrums as our galaxy is very dirty and cloudy, so if have to use infared for seeing stars what are they using to see chemicals and other such particles? Its not like we have sent a rover 26,000 light years away and collected soil samples.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by NephraTari]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Check out this thread by smartypants:

CO2 found
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I already posted this earlier sorry beat ya to it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29-11-2008 by atsbeliever]

top topics