It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth About Semi-Auto Firearms: The "Assault Weapons" Myth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Officer Leroy Pyle debunks myths about semi-autos. He uses demonstrations with live firearms and congressional testimony by DEA, ATF, and FBI agents to show what the truth really is.

this should help clear up some misconceptions for those not familiar with guns.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well the video is a nice lesson for the brain deads of America who have no clue about guns...as well as a lesson for the obviously uninformed news media...go figure..news media having no idea what they are talking about!!! Think about that the next time you sheeple go watch the news....ANY news.

Im glad I still got my full auto's. 5 of em to be exact.

Cheers!!!!

Mod Edit: Advertising removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 4) Advertising. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 26/11/08 by JAK]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
so for Xmas this year, everyone is getting guns

[edit on 26-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Hey, how did you get that picture of my living room?????
Seriously though, The amount of total ignorance in the brains of the talking heads on news shows is ridiculous. How many times have you heard some pretty, stupid, talking head refer to a firearm as a Semi-Auto machine gun????

Zindo

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Nice post! More people need to be educated about 'assault weapons'. I wish that was a picture of my living room! I need to go Christmas shopping for myself.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Good info for those that are totally ignorant of firearms. Personally I don't see a reason for civilians to own "assault Rifles". They honestly have no practical value whatsoever. (Now here is where I contradict myself) I own a couple of "assault rifles" (I'm already on file ATF)
, for 2 reasons. #1 they are fun and #2 The bad guys (Civilian & Government) Have them. Fully Auto Rifles are Illegal and have no practical use in civilian life , In military life they are used for fire suppresion. Those of you that have been on the business end of an AK know that it will have you take cover ASAP and think twice about picking your head up. (Incoming rounds have the right of way) Even though some civilians have learned how to overcome their Semi AK's by use of the "Bump Fire" method.

"DISREGARD LAST 30 SECONDS OF VIDEO"

[edit on 26-11-2008 by EyesWideShut]

Edited to explain Bump Fire

[edit on 26-11-2008 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'd like to say first and foremost that I am what many conservatives would label as a "Liberal" or "Lefty" kinda guy. I know that alot of the gun legislation that has been passed or proposed comes from liberal reactionaries and often they distort the truth about what it is they are railing against.

I am also a gun owner and a well trained marksman. I have a few different weapons in semi auto and bolt action. I enjoy shooting my weapons and imparting knowledge of weapons to those who are curious or misinformed, which, unfortunately, is the bulk majority of liberal America, and those in between who are just subject to media slant and ignorance. In many cases the two are interchangeable.

I know a few liberals that are like minded believing as I do that an armed population is a safe population, and it is my goal to influence the liberal way of thinking as far as guns are concerned for the good of America and it's security in the future. I also believe that in trying times the gun of any style can be very useful in hunting for food. In many cases around America hunting is the ONLY source of food.

I occasionally hunt with an AR 15 semi auto because it is a very comfortable rifle. It is very ergonomic and well balanced and that is the advantage of the so-called "Assault" style cosmetic shell around the action. Otherwise it is no different than my .270 semi-auto hunting rifle with exception, of course, of the caliber and other minor things like rifling and barrel length.

Believe me I wish more people knew this. But if we in Nevada, for instance, did what California does, anything with a thumb hole grip or pistol grip could be an assault rifle no matter the technology involved. This is the kinda crap we have to avoid because that is heavily unconstitutional.

The problem with public policy is that it is informed by reactionary propaganda on both sides rather than facts and figures. The aesthetics of a firearm will not matter to a criminal. If you ban pistol grip semi-auto weapons then they will just switch to hunting rifles with the same technology and maybe even modify those with new, custom stocks which is NOT a difficult thing to do if you can work wood. I'm glad that this is a message coming from a police officer. I always ask people how they would feel if only the cops and criminals had guns, and none can fathom the crime rate...You only have to look at California's more populated areas to see the result of stringent gun laws. Same with DC and NY. No body ever takes this into consideration, especially not on the left and it is one of those things that I hate from any political ideology.

The refusal to analyze the data, ALL THE DATA, is a problem that plagues both ends of the legislative spectrum. If we are ever to effectively apply and enforce responsible public policy then this kinda crap needs to stop and we must demand that our elected legislators and representatives are fully aware of the facts before allowing them to pass any legislation restricting Constitutional freedoms.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

The last 30 seconds were the best part. You can buy blue helmets on e-bay, I hear they make good targets.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by beavertrapperak

The last 30 seconds were the best part. You can buy blue helmets on e-bay, I hear they make good targets.

Hey Beav , I was just trying to impart info without my slight twist...
But I WON'T give my feelings on it... I'm sure u get my drift

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Firearms are only part of the equation.

The US is like a game of Jenga, you don't know which block will bring down the whole deal, and I happen to think that firearms are one of the key blocks. Pull out the wrong one and suddenly you find yourself living in the UK.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I would suggest that full auto weapons are 1) lots of fun, and 2) the bad guys have them. In fact, civilians should always have the weapons of the military. They are not illegal, but they make it a bit expensive to own with restrictions of number produced and available and the burdensome taxation.

More to the point, in combat, the serious shooter can do more damage firing controlled shots on semi-automatic.

But it sure is fun to make a lot of noise quickly!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I very much dislike the "Assault Weapon" deception that is constantly being spewed out by the MSM. What sickened me the most is the month straight of arguing, online and in person, to clueless people about the sunset of the last assault weapons ban(which mainly limited ammo capacities and scariness-due-to-looks-factor on new weapons). Presenting this video to these people will not help the clueless. It will be written off as typical neo-con propaganda to these type.

CNN was showing a full-auto UZI being fired at the range, and was presenting it as becoming legal(and available to all citizens at any gun shop) when the ban was lifted! Nobody even understood this threads concept, and the liberal CNN straight lied to the public with their extreme bias. Does anyone remember this happening?

It is very tiring arguing with someone who doesn't use any critical thought and just uses emotion to decide their side of the gun issues, along with "I don't own a gun, never used one, don't need one, so you don't need them either" types.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
new thread? no word about gun control in the "Agenda" of the new president (whitehouse.gov).....but the gun dealers and manufacturers thank him just the same I am sure.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unmask The Deception

CNN was showing a full-auto UZI being fired at the range, and was presenting it as becoming legal(and available to all citizens at any gun shop) when the ban was lifted! Nobody even understood this threads concept, and the liberal CNN straight lied to the public with their extreme bias. Does anyone remember this happening?

The best part about that is under the AWB the full autos were still just as legal as they are today. For the price of a car and a $200 transfer tax anyone who isnt a felon can get one.

It's not the chance that my guns will be f-ed with that makes me mad. It's that they'll be f-ed with by people who have no idea what the hell they're talking about that really pisses me off.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Why Am I Armed?

My grandfather once said to me, “Son, there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an *** whoopin’.”

I don’t carry a gun to kill I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin’.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I was surprised to learn that the US of A is not the most armed population in the world. Switzerland is! There the government requires every adult male to be trained in use of a military issue firearm and ammunition is subsidized.
This is mainly in force because they have a long standing tradition of militia service and require 2 years of compulsory service. After discharge you are allowed and encouraged to keep your government issued automatic rifle but, it must be modified for semi auto use.
Here's the best part. Law and order is very much under control because the bad guys don't have the upper hand. The only negative...they have a higher than average gun suicide rate. Suicide is the same rate but, guns are the method of choice...easier I guess.

Greetings from Canada. btw, our gun laws are stricter than yours but, I'm fine with that. We still have the right to bare arms.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Man, I wish I could own full-auto weapons. But, alas, I live in a perpetual state of lockdown. No class III, no NFA items. I couldn't even pay the $200 for an SBR or suppressor if I wanted to. Some of you guys don't know how good you have it in the free world.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I wouldn't want a full auto unless it was in 22LR. I have 3 so called assault rifles and I am a happy man. Sucks the ammo prices are thru the roof though but I know whom to blame for that. I bought a GSG-5 the other day due to the ammo prices and will spend a lot more time at the range

top topics

join