It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela's Chavez welcomes Russian warships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Venezuela's Chavez welcomes Russian warships

www.msnbc.msn.com

LA GUAIRA, Venezuela - Russian warships sailed into port in Venezuela on Tuesday in a show of strength as Moscow seeks to counter U.S. influence in Latin America.

Russia's first such deployment in the Caribbean since the Cold War is timed to coincide with President Dmitry Medvedev's visit to Venezuela, the first ever by a Russian president.

Russian sailors dressed in black-and-white uniforms lined up along the bow of the destroyer Admiral Chabanenko as it docked in La Guaira, near Caracas, and Venezuelan troops greeted them with cannons in a 21-gun salute.Two support vessels also docked, and the nuclear-powered cruiser Peter the Great, Russia's largest ship, anchored offshore.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That is really close to home. Considering our relations with russia after we(usa and GB) tried to set them up in Georgia, i think they are in venezuela not for addressing the latin american problems, but to more or less buy a house right next to your enemy just make em sweat. I feel him though, our Missile shield is right up there ass, this is kinda evens the playing field. Maybe i'm full of it, what do you guys think?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
wouldn't be surprised if Russia deployed bombers in Venezuala , this could be the best thing to ever happen in latin america , as Russia will protect Latin America from imperialist american aggression

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think this is Russia's way of saying.... 'Hey Yankie boys, how does it feel to be under the shadow of something you couldn't possibly cope with?'

Fair play Russia I say...

Make the Americans sweat a little.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yeah, the Americans do all the pushing, and don't like when someone pushes back.

I doubt the Russians will attack first, it's just a way of showing the Americans that they aren't scared.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
After seeing the special on Chavez on PBS last night I would say that he is doing this as a great big "thumbing his nose" exercise towards the US.
He is obsessed with the US and will do anything he can to get their attention. Its part of his exploding ego - along with the draconian measures he's instituting to extend his power at home.
He's gone from benevolent #disturber to dictator wannabe.
Of course Russia is only too happy to take advantage of an opportunity to redress some of the US' bullying in their neighborhood.

new topics

top topics

join