It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to refine gold?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to refine and mint my own gold bullion. Any practical advice or weblinks are appreciated. I'm pretty handy and have access to some gold scraps....

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by red_leader

www.google.com...

search:
"melt gold"
"How to refine gold"

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
wow! you seriously are handy if you can refine gold LOL

But anyway, I'd start my search here : www.metallurgy.com...

good luck! and be careful mate... molten metal is a little caustic when in contact with skin

I'm way to much of a klutz to attempt anything like that... ever...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
There is a company out there somewhere that will smelt your gold for you. Ill try to find it.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here is what i found on a google search
www.nuggethunters.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well it all depends on what you have for ore...
Placer gold the most common is first run through a crusher... the none gold simply shatters and turns to dust while the gold only flattens to a lump.

if working with gold dust is was common to put the gold duck in a heat proof container with a drop of murcuary heat it so the murcuary evaporates and your left with a coalesced lump...

if your serious then you might like to know good looking nuggets bring more than does refined gold.... people like to make jewelry out of the nuggets and nine ones are hard to come by....

as to striking your own coins or ingots... think about the word strike... the quick test to see if what you have is gold is to simply hit with a hammer...Mica or pyrite (gold looking) will shatter while real gold will not... how they use to do it put a bit of gold in a mold then strike it with a mallet. what came out was a nice looking coin...

do yourself a favor and google the how to but its not as hard as you would think....
Source Me... I grew up in an old mining town

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Can I ask why you want to refine and mint your own gold? I do not believe that it would be taken by the gold dealers as such if done by you. They have standards and licensing for their gold and precious metals smelters and dealers.

Gold aint the answer anyways if you're seeking safety from current economic turns, they are manipulating the precious metals markets, if they weren't Gold would be near 2000 an ounce...

Good luck in your pursuit and please post pics of a final product f you get it done...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Minting your own coins won't add any intrinsic value to the gold, and melting the gold would consume massive amounts of energy (and therefore cost).

Not that I want to put you off your plans, it's a nice idea, just not economic that's all.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Well I have this scrap wich is utterly useless to me and I would like to make it into something useful or at least pretty.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by red_leader
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Well I have this scrap wich is utterly useless to me and I would like to make it into something useful or at least pretty.

You have scrap gold?

I don't think it gets called scrap if its gold.
How on earth does someone end up with left over gold?

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

If by scrap you mean old necklaces and bracelets that you dont want or use, you are best served going to a professional jeweler. I would guess all gold jewerly is in that 14-24 carat range, which means it has been mixed with something else. You will need to extract the something else in order to continue working with your gold. I would offer no advice on something like this, as it can be extremely dangerous. Toxic fumes and such.

If what you mean is flake or flour gold, what I have done, and again, this isnt what I would call safe, but it does work. Add mercury to your gold, cut a hole in a potato, add the mercury/gold mix into the center and replace the part you cut out. Add potato to an OUTSIDE pit fire and leave it there until the fire dies. Once cool, open potato and take your lump of gold (mercury would have burned off)

Also note, do not eat the potato, dispose of properly.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Please don't attempt to do this in your home or neighborhood for that matter. Gold refining is toxic as all hell as some of the processing is done with deadly chemicals like arscenic. It is not easy to melt gold either nor can you get a permit to process gold without proper environmental safe guards.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Also note, do not eat the potato, dispose of properly.

Almost fell out of my chair laughing when i read this.
This is not a two lined post anymore.
Its got three lines now.
Or was it four?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The potato method does work, but mainly on fine gold mixed with black sand, you put your black sand and gold in a rock tumbler with some mercury, the mercury will pick up the gold , this is called an amalgam.. Now you have to dispose of the mercury, there's lots of ways, retorting, certain acids or burning it off[the potato] , Advice here, all methods are dangerous, mercury fumes will kill you...I don't know what type of scrap gpld you have,,but if it's jewelry, the purity can vary from 10 -24 karat, black hills gold has more silver in it than gold, seperating the various metals is complicated...As far as making your own bullion, if you have enough raw gold, first have it assayed,,gold purity here in Alaska runs anywhere from 80 to 95% depending on location.. Melting your gold down and making bars out of it isn't hard, I know people that do it..But it's usually fine gold, 8 screen and bigger are sold as is. Nuggets usually bring 10-20% above spot, which was $810 an ounce yeterday..Making your own coins, sounds like a waste of time, they would only be worth gold value,if you could prove how pure the gold was...And if you have that much gold that you can start making your own coins,,,,,I want to be your friend....... salchanra said it,,don't eat the potato..

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This site will provide all the answers

www.goldrefiningforum.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
See what you do is take a wedge of lemon...wait...wait...no lime.

hold your lime to the light of the moon for 2 minutes...no days...2 days.... Do not eat the lime....

Sounds like an old episode of M*A*S*H when the boys were trying to explain to Frank Burns how they made a bottle of gin.

This is the part where ATS should add....THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS THREAD ARE NOT THOSE OF STAFF AND MANAGEMENT...PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME...REMEMBER WE ARE PROFESSIONALS HERE

My god! some of the things you people are telling this gent could get him killed!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YER GOLD MISTER.

Dorian Soran

PS - I am not saying refining your own gold is a bad idea...I'm just sayin'.....

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Dorian Soran]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

Maybe if you would of read my post, you would of seen I used the word Dangerous, and also fumes will kill you, in it..If he wants to refine gold,Im just saying it can be done..just be careful....The potato trick is basically a retort with the potato absorbing the mercury, safer than just burning it off..

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There are basicly two ways of refining gold. There is smelting, heating the metal up to it's mealting point and boiling off any other meterials. This takes a while and much energy. However after your done you can meter out approprate measurments, gram-ounce, into coin blanks. Later on when the coin blanks are cooled you can warm them up again and then press your graphics onto the blank if you have a tap and die. See ancient roman coin making.

The other gold refinement process is chemical smelting. Basicly you put the mixed "gold" into a chemical salution that then seperates the metals out over time.

However you'd surve nothing but your own ego in minting your own coins as they will never be worth more the Credit Suisse, and are likely to be worth alot less.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join