It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Lobbyists, No Downturn, Just a Turnover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Republican lobbyists see large salary cuts.

WASHINGTON — Richard Hunt, a top Republican lobbyist for the securities industry, was among the first to go, just a week after the election. Marc Racicot, the president of the American Insurance Association and former Republican Party chairman, resigned a few days later. So did Frank L. Bowman, the retired admiral and Republican-leaning chief of the nuclear energy lobby, citing “this period of dramatic change in Congress and the White House.”

Source

Out with the old, in with the new...... or not so new in most cases. I find myself wishing they would all just go away, but then who would 'guide the lawmakers'? There are several parts in this article that caused my eyebrows to rise.

The first thing that caught my eye was the salary most of these people can command. A million dollars for a well connected republican and 800,000 for a Democrat (of course the Republican is now in the unemployment line). Nice work, if you can get it i suppose. Wish I knew someone who was elected in November!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Another quote that made me stop and think....

A spokesman for the association declined to comment on the departure. So did Mr. Feehery, who now runs his own lobbying shop. But he said Republican lobbyists would always be in demand because Democrats lack the stomach to push for industry goals that go against their party, like rolling back environmental regulations.

For some reason I just can't figure out why this is a bad thing. Seems like either party's members are going to be reluctant to go against the platform. But, to a lobbyist, I guess this would be considered 'obstructionist' or 'uneducated'? "Lack the stomach"???

[edit on 11/25/2008 by Montana]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

I don't think lobbyists care which side they are working for, as long as they get paid. But you are correct in regards to politicians being afraid to go against party platforms. And the Dem's are much more inclined to stick with the party line, imo.

I heard a news blurb today where the Clintons are urging that anybody that opposed them in the primaries be kept out of cabinet and other important positions.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It was interesting that there is a shortage of democratically oriented lobbyists. I wonder how hard they will have to look to find enough to replace the Republicans on the way out. Maybe the world will stop turning and hell will freeze over and there won't be enough lobbyists to bring the gears of government to a grinding halt like usually happens?

Nah, you're right. Never happen....

top topics

join