It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

empathic abilities

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbyboy

Don't listen to your father about the satan thing. You must listen to the real dad, the father. Jesus explicity states that we'll have abilities increased by a lot in the so called last days. Each gift is different, so it's not like we're all getting the same gift and using it in different ways. Some do this and some do that....even tho i have no reason to i totally believe you 100%, for what it's worth.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
1 corinthians1 2:4-11

" There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now toeach one the manifestation of the spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom , to another the message of knowledge by means of the same spirit, to another faith by the same spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues and to still another the interpretation of tongues. all of these are work of one and the same spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines."

the next time your dad calls you satan throw this verse at him and see what he says.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

again, that kind of helps, but i'm trying to figure out why i even have these abilities. i'm a child of God. that's the only thing that makes me special. nothing else stands out about me. ha you know what? when i was born, my dad even had the nerve to say i was born different! so much for him believing his own statement!

as for my abilitiy coming from Satan, the only good that would do him is if i did actually try to take Jesus' place. if i ever tried to do that, he will have won. see, the only place and time i've seen this ability otherwise is in the Bible, and the only person who could do what i do was Jesus. that's why this ability scares me. i'm borderlined on what my own beliefs allow. empathy isn't exactly Christian territory, after all.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   

empathy isn't exactly Christian territory, after all.

"christian territory" isn't exactly for God's territory, after all. Look at the HISTORY of the christian religion, and you would notice that the "message" from the christians has CHANGED for the worse as each new generation of humans comes.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

that's because people are afraid to be wrong. fear of the unknown can make us do some pretty crazy stuff sometimes. as for christian territory not being God's territory, where do you get that idea? and if you could please, stick to the subject. i'm in here for advice, not a debate.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

i'm in here for advice, not a debate.

Ohhh...You want some advice? Ok! Stay away from anything christian, and PRAY to God, not belive in something human has created, only have faith in what God has created AND commanded humans to do.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
gotcha. can't say i will actually follow that advice, but i'll take it into consideration. do you have anything on empathy? are you an empath as well? sorry, i just... i've got questions that can't be answered, and i feel like the more time i use up trying to find out what i am capable of now, the less time i'm going to have to help people.

i'll be back later.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Maybe you should stop talking about your "powers" and start practicing useing your powers...Actions speak louder then words. Have you tried meditating while "practicing" your powers???

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

are you an empath as well?

Are you joking...My energy level is low to be any of real use. The types of powers I do and beable to have it far more powerful then most-all humans...And I am able to have more powers then most of the higher beings. I am not human, as far as I know. I am not part of this system.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

No one will be able to tell you why. And none will be able to reconcile your faith for you. You must believe in and for yourself. As difficult as I know that can be at times. But also no one can deny your truth if it comes from your heart.

If I remember correctly, the apostles also performed acts of healing. And didn't Jesus say that those who follow him would be able to do the same?

Remain humble and nothing can turn you from the path. In being humble we can see that it is the little things we do every day, those things that others often never know, that are the greatest.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I hadn't heard about the primates before. But it brought to mind the story of the oryx and the lioness, to me one of the most amazing demonstrations of empathy outside of humans.

www.olerai.com...

As to evolution, I think it makes sense in a human perspective because understanding the feelings of others and relating to them could go a long way in helping us avoid our own bloody, self-created destruction. Though for other species the purpose doesn't seem as clear. But purpose seems to be a distinctly human concern.

I think this illustrates though that evolution is an incredibly misunderstood process, controlled or effected by forces well outside our understanding. Fact is, all we've been able to do thus far is put the links together in some seemingly sensible order, but still cannot answer why or how the chain exists in the first place.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

I watched that documentary too, and it brought tears to my eyes. It made a huge impression on me. The emotions and love expressed, the sadness, the struggle, the way they needed each other but were so different. It just really gets you, and to watch it changed my whole attitude about lions. Then I saw the one where the British guys went to see the lion they had rescued and raised in London. Animals are not that much different than us.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

yeah, i know. i guess some things don't have an easy way out, do they?

someone actually told me close to the same thing last night.

so how do you use it? just trying to get some ideas.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbyboy

yeah, i know. i guess some things don't have an easy way out, do they?

No, they certainly don't. But I don't believe we are ever put in that position if there isn't a need, or that we aren't able.

How to use it? The best answer I have at the moment is, responsibly. I know that may sound rather incomplete, or less than informative, but I believe we are all shown our own way. And to me responsibility implies accepting the task no matter how great or small we may see it.

To illustrate for myself, I tend to think of the energy I exude in a chain connecting not just with the people I come in contact with, but then those they come in contact with and so on. Just as I choose with the energy of another to pass it on to someone else or keep it to myself.

In this way, I can see even the smallest act of kindness or cruelty having a much larger and longer impact.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

so you have the ability to branch off of others? that's actually pretty neat. i'll have to see if i can do that sometime. i don't know if i can, but i usually find new abilities through instinct. either that or it's the Spirit telling me what to do and how to do it.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Having a gift of perception requires responsibility yes!! Trust in your instincts, but you have to let it go once you send it out there. It is not a "power", it is a gift. Power implies that you can use it to your advantage, and I would recommend not calling it that. A gift is given, and nothing is expected in return.
If you have something to offer someone, such as enlightenment, you cannot expect it in return. You can use your experiences to teach, but you cannot invest in the students work once they set out to use it. You are responsible for how you teach, and what you teach, but not what they do with it. If they do good things, if it helps them, you are not responsible for it, just as when they don't listen and don't use it. Do not invest in the outcome. But, if that outcome is good, everyone is rewarded. Everyone benefits.
With that responsibility comes humility. Give with out thought of the consequences. But don't teach what may result in bad consequences. Discretion and patience and honesty are required when making those decisions. Let it go out there, and hope that it will be used well. The student teaches just as much as the teacher.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

thanks.

hey i know someone that forgot their password. do you know how to find it?

as for the topic, i know i need to trust the instinct. i've learned that already. so what i'm getting from everybody is that this is something i have to learn, i can't be taught how to use this. is this the right assumption? and if it is, i would still like to at least have a list of empathic abilities, solely for the purpose of strenghtening my abilities so i can help more people. so whatever abilities you know of, if you would please list them, that would help me a lot.

[edit on 11/22/2007 by bobbyboy]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have a story to tell you about a student and a teacher.

I was raised by geniuses. I was not considered one. I struggled in school.
I tried to go with the flow, but when I got to High School I rebelled. I have always had a problem with authority. I wasn't so sure that the people I saw in authority actually deserved the respect they asked for.

I was in a math class, a subject I hated, and I used "comedy" as a social tool at the time. Class clown so to speak.
It helped me lighten a dark atmosphere at home, and the awkwardness of the teenage years. I had skipped class the day before. I had an unexused absence form I had to give to the teacher and sat down in the back of the class.

He promptly began to discuss my absence in front of the other students, which annoyed me and I wasn't in the mood for ridicule.
He asked "Where were you, what were you doing that you have an unexcused absence Miss....."

I said matter of factly "I was sitting under a tree" I said it defiantly and he began to make fun of that. I can't remember what all he said after that, but I answered honestly and still with my chin held high.

I never liked that teacher after that and called him Goat Man. Because I thought he looked like a Satyr.

I almost didn't finish High School because I was struggling with the authority thing.
But with a twist of fate, moved to a College to finish high school through a completion program. I finished a year early with college credit, graduated with the rest of the Associate Degrees at the college, and then went on to a four year.

I was walking in the quad on my way to a class when who appears, but Goat Man.
He said to me "WHAT are YOU doing HERE?"
I was completely offended. How dare he assume that I was not smart enough to be in College!!

Later when I needed to do my internship, a friend of his gave me one.
His name came up. She said that Goat Man said he had always really liked me.

I said "what?" that was not my reality.

She said "Yes, he does, he said that you were honest, and courageous, and had integrity, and he told me a story about you sitting under a tree. He was impressed that you would stand up to your teacher and be honest, he respected you for that"

Who is the teacher here and who is the student? Who learned something?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

good point, but when happens when the only ones who can teach you anything are yourself and God?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You can contact ATS via log in if you have forgotten your password, You will need to create a new one once you receive an email notification on your password.

List of empathetic qualities.

Empathy is the capacity to recognize or understand another's state of mind or emotion. It is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes", or in some way experience the outlook or emotions of another being within oneself. Empathy does not necessarily imply compassion, or empathic concern because this capacity can be present in context of compassionate or cruel behavior.

Since empathy involves understanding the emotion states of other people, the way it is characterized is derivative of the way emotions themselves are characterized. If for example, emotions are taken to be centrally characterized by bodily feelings, then grasping the bodily feelings of another will be central to empathy. On the other hand, if emotions are more centrally characterized by a combination of beliefs and desires, then grasping these beliefs and desires will be more essential to empathy. Furthermore, a distinction should be made between deliberately imagining being another person, or being in their situation, and simply recognizing their emotion. The ability to imagine oneself as another person is a sophisticated imaginative process. However the basic capacity to recognize emotions is probably innate and may be achieved unconsciously. Yet it can be trained, and achieved with various degrees of intensity or accuracy. The human capacity to recognize the bodily feelings of another is related to one's imitative capacities, and seems to be grounded in the innate capacity to associate the bodily movements and facial expressions one sees in another with the proprioceptive feelings of producing those corresponding movements or expressions oneself.[17] Humans also seem to make the same immediate connection between the tone of voice and other vocal expressions and inner feeling. See neurological basis below.[18][19] There is some debate concerning how exactly the conscious experience (or phenomenology) of empathy should be characterized. The basic idea is that by looking at the facial expressions or bodily movements of another, or by hearing their tone of voice, one may get an immediate sense of how they feel (as opposed to more intellectually noting the behavioral symptoms of their emotion).[20] Though empathic recognition is likely to involve some form of arousal in the empathiser, they may not experience this feeling as belonging to their own body, but instead likely to perceptually locate the feeling 'in' the body of the other person. Alternatively the empathiser may instead get a sense of an emotional 'atmosphere' or that the emotion belongs equally to all the parties involved.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join