It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back on British TV tonight " Survivors"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
I'm sorry to say that no matter how prepared I'd like to be, I'd be a crumpled, crying wreck, for ages, if I was suddenly only 1 of 10% of the population.

That was something else that didn't hang right for me either. 10% of the population? Unless maths has changed dramatically since I left grammar school, that means 1 in 10 people. You didn't get the impression there was 1 in 10 people that survived from the episode last night: more like 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000, maybe even higher.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
Why does everyone have a an issue with characters that aren't white?

Because the BBC as usual implicitly implies that all the various racial, social and cultural groups will all live in perfect harmony, But having seen social collapse in many places right across the world over the last 30 years I know that will not be the case. Multi Cultural paradise is a simple figment of liberal dreams. The black community will polarise as will the white, the Muslims will do the same, In the real world that pretty young doctor would more than likely have been gang raped by now, because in the PC world only nasty people have guns, A pretty young girl traveling alone in a Post apoc world wont last a day. Then look at the other survivors many of whom will be traumatised, they will be looking for someone to blaim, the poor black guy and musilm guy will probably be attacked by white survivors unless they have numeric superiority. They are behaving in a civilised mannner in a world where civilisation ended when the power went off. Feminism, equality, political correctness and diversity will only last until people get hungry, and that about three days the power fails.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Why does everyone have a an issue with characters that aren't white?

Because the BBC as usual implicitly implies that all the various racial, social and cultural groups will all live in perfect harmony, But having seen social collapse in many places right across the world over the last 30 years I know that will not be the case. Multi Cultural paradise is a simple figment of liberal dreams.

And implicit with this is the concept that everything about the traditional, pre-multicultural, British way of life was inherently wrong.

I could go on but it deserves another topic.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

It's a show. It's fake. I know this. I know it's not a real representation. Why does it matter? I don't watch TV for real life. I watch TV to be entertained.

I'm not watching the show to get tips on how to survive. I think people should just relax and try and enjoy a work of fiction for what it is.

Why does everything have to become political. Sheesh.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It's a show. It's fake. I know this. I know it's not a real representation. Why does it matter? I don't watch TV for real life. I watch TV to be entertained.

I'm not watching the show to get tips on how to survive. I think people should just relax and try and enjoy a work of fiction for what it is.

Why does everything have to become political. Sheesh.

Probably because this is a forum for debating survivalism and politics that affect survivalists, and survivalists like any other part of society prefer to be portrayed with reasonable accuracy in reasonably accurate dramas. The original survivors series and the No Blade of grass series portrayed society far more accurately and accordiongly triggered far more quality debate which in turn led to more people becoming survivalists. The current version has more in comon with Telly tubbies than accurate drama.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Well I whatched tuesaday episode just to be fair, what a load of twaddle, nothing at all like the book or the original series, just MC PC liberal dross, theres more passion and exitment in the tellytubbies.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I dont have a problem with the "MC PC" aspect of the show... who cares if the BBC wants to go the PC route. I dont think the show would be inherently unwatchable just because the BBC decided to accentuate the minority component of the population.

Its the lacklustre acting, pathetic storylines and total lack of survivalism in the show that make it unwatchable. This is compounded by the stupid melodrama of the criminal threatening to break the neck of the obligatory secular muslim character; the gross stupidity and naivety of the leading woman and the fact that none of them have the common sense to go and get a firearm even after being threatened twice!

This isnt a survivalist show, its attempting to be a glossy drama showcasing the "human emotion" side of survival but it even fails at that!

What I would have liked to see is the characters grabbing the necessities (guns, axes, rope etc); fighting tooth and nail against other looters for the few provisions remaining; finding a farm and setting up base. Instead what we got was a bunch wandering around aimlessly, grabbing crisps from petrol stations, being too morally indignant to fight for survival and engaged in faux-drama.

Shame on the BBC. Is this what I am forced to pay £150 a year for?!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

What I would have liked to see is the characters grabbing the necessities (guns, axes, rope etc); fighting tooth and nail against other looters for the few provisions remaining; finding a farm and setting up base. Instead what we got was a bunch wandering around aimlessly, grabbing crisps from petrol stations, being too morally indignant to fight for survival and engaged in faux-drama.

Shame on the BBC. Is this what I am forced to pay £150 a year for?!

You would enjoy No Blade of grass if you can get hold of it, made the same time as the original survivors

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

It looks like a very interesting read... much more gritty and realistic than anything else out there.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for the tip; I might have to read the book instead of watching the series (no idea where to find it).

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

It looks like a very interesting read... much more gritty and realistic than anything else out there.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for the tip; I might have to read the book instead of watching the series (no idea where to find it).

The books is very good, you can actually follow the route the characters take from Landan to the Lake District, and its quite realistic, the Video I believe is available from amazon .co.uk, as is the original survivors and day of the triffids.In the united states of Haliburton I think its renamed as Death Of Grass.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
last nights episode was filmed in rawtenstall, just down the road... woot woot!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Have just watched the first two episodes back-to-back...i'm just waiting till the rest of bloody 'coronationdalesquare' to turn up and there's a jolly ending at the Queen Vic's Return (until the discovery of a dead southerner buried under the patio)

...and who mentioned the Daleks? Now that would add an unexpected twist in the tale!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I've watched the first two episodes and am a bit worried about how it is progressing.

There seems to be a lot of pretentious agonising over remaining civilised and not being prepared to defend themselves because that would make them as bad the people who are going around drinking and looting.

A bit wet really. As well as looking like a Benetton Advert

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I love it the way these movies like Dawn Of The Dead, 28 Days and Weeks Later and this show Survivors show once the disaster has happened they allways seem to head for the shops and eat everyhting thats there! I don't know about anyone else, but i wouldn't have the stomach to eat anything after what happend!

They just show in these Movies and Tv Shows what we would love to do, but in reality we would be distressed, in shock, nervous. I think in reality nobody would want to anything!

If they had to show what would really happen in the reality of a sistuation like that, people would not like it.

People would be dying around you, think of all the creepy people escaping from all your countrys mental hospitals and prisons. There would be people killing other people, raping, there would be no LAW, and PC would go out the Feckin window!! There would be no Food or Clean Water. Then think how your going to protect your family, if you still have one that is. No Fuel for your car or truck. No hot Water, no Power. You mobile would soon run out of Power or Money. All of thats going to lead to depression, and nobody wanting to do anything. You could go on and on!!!

Watch the movie Threads, thats comes close to the situation!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Thats because they said less than 1% of the population survived not 10%

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Actually to all those complaining that people on the site appear racist. What I believe people have a complaint about is not that there is a black character in the series (or even two), but the fact that every bad character is white (even Abby to a lesser extent) whilst any Good character will be of ethnic origin. In every TV Series since Cracker dared to portray a Black rapist (and were unjustifyabily panned by the Black community as being racist) TV Companies have been unable to show bad Black characters, without them showing that there was a reason for them being evil. The same with Survivors. The only member left alive in the Government (whatever her name was) was not exactly evil, more misguided and naive in the extreme. This is what people have anger about not the fact that a character is or isn't black. I don't vare if the entire cast was Black, white or even sky blue violet, but let's be even with the morality of the characters. Let's analyse this - the Bandit leader in the first episode - White, the odd Christian character in a later episode - White (and male!!), the two gang leaders who enslaved the children in the last episode - White. Where are the evil Blacks. Died during the plague if you listen to the BBC.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
well, after watching all 6 episodes the series ended on a poor attempt of a cliffhanger...I don't make much of the odds for its survival!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
well, after watching all 6 episodes the series ended on a poor attempt of a cliffhanger...I don't make much of the odds for its survival!

I waited years for this remake and the result was bitter disappointment, Twas a load of politically correct, multi cultural, diverse bolleauxs.

Hot Fuzz was more realistic, Yurp

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I know it's a little late but I was in the process of moving.

What a terrible ending. Oh, I believe it deserves exclamations.

What a terrible ending!!!!

I will definitely follow up the links to the book because in my experience the book is always better (with the exception of Pet Cemetery, which was just as boring as the book) than any TV/Film adaptation.

Will there be a series 2, does anyone know?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I will definitely follow up the links to the book because in my experience the book is always better (with the exception of Pet Cemetery, which was just as boring as the book) than any TV/Film adaptation.

Will there be a series 2, does anyone know?

I just read and thoroughly enjoyed NIGHT OF THE TRIFFIDS the follow up to DAY OF THE......, differentr author but similar writing style, a damn good book.

<< 1   >>

join