It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back on British TV tonight " Survivors"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Its good to see the remake of Terry Nations ( Inventor of the daleks) TV series SURVIVORS is to be shown starting tonight on BBC 1 at 9 PM part two on tuesday. This series originally broadcast in the 1970s was the trigger for many British people to become Survivalists. After the original series was shown much debate was created in outdoor magazines which in turn lead to the first of the survivalist publications to become mainstream. In the UK we had Survival Weaponry and Techniques and in the US the great American Survival Guide. The letters columns and small ads were filled with survivalists seeking others with similar visions and concerns as themselves. Around 1979 various UK based groups such as UKSG, Widening Gyre, London University SG and many others were created. its from those humble beginnings that the Survivalist community of today has grown from. And thanks to modern media systems like ATS and other forums survivalists have never been able to reach out to their colleagues so easily. I'm keen to see what other people make of the new series, I have some misgivings before even seeing it just by studying the cast, Instead of going for a realistic make ou of the UK they are going with the politically correct BBC version of how our society is made up, accordingly there is the Black character, the Landaner,The Lesbian, The Muslim and the child along with the emotionally screwed up character.
Lets see if they make a better job than the original where the good guys were always middle class southerners and the bad guys working class northerners.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I have heard of the original, but never managed to watch it. Sadly out the country at the moment but will get the girlfriend to record it hopefully.

I am disappointed, but not surprised, at the BBC's perceived cross-section of society, but is par for the course with the garbage that comes on the telly these days.

It will be interesting to watch nevertheless.

The girlfriend might watch it too and give her some food for thought, although fortunately she is already pretty on-side with survivalism.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
cant wait ^_^

im a little to young to have watched the original but ive seen clips and know of it

i just hope the comical kitchen scene with the comical killer mouse attacks doesnt make an appearance lol

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up

I've been looking forward to the start of this series, but I had forgotten it started today!

You're also right about the public reaction... let's hope it starts off some interest in survivalism. It may well strike a deep nerve with the public, what with the impending economic doom and gloom and all!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Thanks for the heads up

I've been looking forward to the start of this series, but I had forgotten it started today!

You're also right about the public reaction... let's hope it starts off some interest in survivalism. It may well strike a deep nerve with the public, what with the impending economic doom and gloom and all!

When I first read the book SURVIVORS I was hooked, the original series was depressing but powerful, I actually went and visited many of the locations it was filmed. But when they made John Christophers book NO BLADE OF GRASS, into a mini series I just had to retrace the route from London to the Lake District the survivors took in the book. All went well until Kendal then I could not gather enough info from the book to identify the valley the auther had chiose for the retreat, I thought he may have been a bit devious and come back east from Kendal to Dent, which matches the geography in the book but I was not sure. Survivalism gets into your blood
)

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
and i still managed to miss it with the reminder

thanks the none god for bbc i player lol

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ahh it shows yet more reasons to stay in your own family group when sit-x comes along. Merely poaching females if required.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just sore it, and its pritty damn good! furure of things to come?

Who knows, interesting stuff.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Yeah just watched it, PC at it's best!

It's just like Dawn Of The Dead, 28 Days or Weeks later! Nothing knew.

IMHO!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Bloody hell the BBC have buggered up one of the best stories about survivalism ever, they have gone down the black dude, muslim, gay, londoner, criminal standard production process that typifies the BBC of today, Left wing politically correct , multi cultural, ethnically diverse garbage. How the F**k do they manage to change Greg Preston from the authors original character of a White Middle Class Engineer to a black dude who drive a diesel landy pickup while carrying jerry cans full of petrol ?

Plus after the lights went out why was the prison cell light still on, and who opened the curtains in Abbeys bedroom while she was in a coma and her hubby was dead.

Its just THE LAST TRAIN without the effing train, bloody BBC screw up everything they touch.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
LMAO @ Northern Raider

Man, your sharp!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
i caught the last couple of minutes

almost the entire cast of that silly archaeology mavericks program (cant even remeber the name it was so bad) appear to be in it

ill guess ill leave it for when i have an hour to kill rather then set time out and look forward to it

they should just replay day of the triffids at least that was a fun series

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
...Its just THE LAST TRAIN without the effing train...

I was actually thinking the EXACT same thing while watching it!.. it even had the over dramatic sense of being and crazy upbeat mad music, common with the last train.

doh!

Bigmoose

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Spot on.

The entire show was an anti-climax.

The plague was ridiculously virulent; the settings were unrealistic (ie cars left abandoned... nobody would be driving when ill); the characters were two dimensional and the storyline was horribly lacklustre and slow moving.

Actually the only character I liked was Greg Preston... the others were all extremely boring.

Let's hope it picks up. Im particularly interested to see if they include the sort of practical viewing along the lines of the characters improvising and learning skills.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Spot on.

The entire show was an anti-climax.

The plague was ridiculously virulent; the settings were unrealistic (ie cars left abandoned... nobody would be driving when ill); the characters were two dimensional and the storyline was horribly lacklustre and slow moving.

Actually the only character I liked was Greg Preston... the others were all extremely boring.

Let's hope it picks up. Im particularly interested to see if they include the sort of practical viewing along the lines of the characters improvising and learning skills.

In the original series and in No Blade of grass the characters would often been seen debating what sort of equipment and materials they would need to survive, In the New version it had 7 seconds of Greg preston smashing the window of a camping shop to obtain kit. The only character I liked was the dude at the outdoor centre.I wish I had put money on the useless BBC going the politically correct multi cultural cast route. Heck if they wanted to save money they could have just got someone to portray a black, muslim, lesbian, disabled, sociopathic engineer with a criminal record who was born in Landan.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

I wish I had put money on the useless BBC going the politically correct multi cultural cast route.

No bookie in the country would offer odds on that!

Haven't seen it yet, but it is being recorded. Not surprised at all the BBC went down this leftist route but I'm still interested in watching it nevertheless.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I thought it was awful. Everything about it: awful.

As well as the 'United Survivors of Benetton' that's already been mentioned, it just didn't seem bleak enough. Even with less people driving when feeling ill, the streets and motorways should have still had a lot of cars on them. It was more like everyone in Britain had just vanished rather than died.

It's funny how doomsday scenarios reflect the psychology of particular demographics. I feel like I watched the apocalypse for the ABC1 group.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Though it is nothing like the original series, I shall see how the storyline pans out on Tuesday. I quite liked the Greg character, he seemed the only one who was switched on. Kind of strange about the ''Outward Bound' guy not tagging along - We will probably see him later as he is a well known British Actor. I have a feeling that ''The Lab'' is going to be some kind of Government/Rogue Element conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The thing that annoyed me most was how quickly the survivors seemed to have come to terms with their situation.

I'm sorry to say that no matter how prepared I'd like to be, I'd be a crumpled, crying wreck, for ages, if I was suddenly only 1 of 10% of the population. Yes, I'd be trying to find others but I'd still be an emotional wreck. They all just seemed to accept the situation and get on with it and that just seems to idealistic cause I reckon even the most prepared Survivalist wouldn't be able to totally prepare emotionally/mentally.

Maybe reality will hit home a bit more on Tuesday. I can't wait to find out what happens.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Why does everyone have a an issue with characters that aren't white? Have you looked around recently? There are black people, muslims, and lesbians in England. I'm not offended just becasue I'm white, heterosexual and English ( ok, I'm not English..but two out of three!)

As for the story itself..it seems a bit soap operaish. I'll watch it, but I realize it is meant to be entertainment and so far I've been somewhat entertained. My partner thought it sucked though, lol..He preferred Dead Set which was on a couple of weeks ago, ITV's( I think it was iTV anyway) take on a zombie apocalypse.

In any case, It's entertainment, I don't watch a lot of TV but when I do I want to be entertained. let's hope it diesn't dissappoint.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join