It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically altered fish-die sooner?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I heard that there were some new fish hormones, that made fish grow faster than normal ones, and also that they die faster than others, and also, that the female fish prefer to mate with the 'super' fish. I was wondering if they would eventually be extinct sooner.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This fecking around with genetics is dangerous. Dolly the sheep died after 6 years with a degenerate lung disease (they usually live at least 12 years).
These people do not know what the hell they are doing. And as for Monsanto with a 'terminator gene' built into their GM crops - well, don't get me started on that crap.

Dolly the sheep dies young

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I breed fish as a passtime, and I can say that it would be normal for the female to want to make babies with the larger, stronger fish. In their mentality, strong mate = strong babies, and thats normaly the case.

I agree with Pisky though, those damn scientists dont know what they are doing. One day they are going to make something extremely dangerous and we will all be #ed.

As for them becoming extinct sooner, its hard to say. As long as they can mate a few times and pass along their genes, they are fine. It would be our polution that would cause them to become extinct. If they were released into the wild, they would mate with normal fish, and eventualy, ever fish would grow a bit faster, and die a bit earlier than they were supposed to.

new topics

join