It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future of Physics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I was doing a search earlier yesterday on superconductivity and I encountered this interesting series of papers that highlights new areas of research in physics which have rather significant theoretical and technological implications.

visions.iop.org...

The one area I'm most interested in that's mentioned in this series is superconductivity, which some have suggested will be more important than the transistor revolution. If room-temperature superconducting materials are ever conceived, we could be looking at electrical energy with near-perfect efficiency and a big step forward in transportation(maglevs).

[edit on 22-11-2008 by GeeGee]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

Thanks for the interesting website.

I am just starting physics so I guess I need to look up exactly what superconductivity is before reading.

Go maglev!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Very nice series, thank you!

It's an interesting times we live in, great to see the future technological implications of todays discoveries. I'm most looking forward to see the future of quantum computation and implications of quantum mechanics, but I'm also highly interested what new worlds those huge mirrored telescopes will discover.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Mag-Levs will most likely reform our transportation systems, and be more efficient then airplanes in the near future. I've seen a documentation that gave a great insight in the coming transportation revolution in the next twenty years. Superconductors are fascinating.

[edit on 22.11.2008 by SiONiX]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

Thanks for the interesting website.

I am just starting physics so I guess I need to look up exactly what superconductivity is before reading.

Go maglev!

You're welcome.

And if you want a very general definition of superconductivity - it's a unique phenomena which occurs in certain materials when exposed to mostly very low temperatures (although now there are high-temperature superconductors as well) usually via entrenching them in liquid helium or liquid nitrogen which results in the material having zero electrical resistance.

For a comparison, ordinary conductors such as copper wires lose current flow from resistance(usually in the form of heat). A wire made of superconducting material would lose no energy (or at least close to no energy), being close to 100% efficient.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiONiX
Very nice series, thank you!

It's an interesting times we live in, great to see the future technological implications of todays discoveries. I'm most looking forward to see the future of quantum computation and implications of quantum mechanics, but I'm also highly interested what new worlds those huge mirrored telescopes will discover.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

No problem.

I'm also interested in quantum computing. However, I recently saw an article that stated if CTC's (closed-time-like curves) exist, then quantum computers would be no more powerful than classical computers.

www.physorg.com...

Mag-Levs will most likely reform our transportation systems, and be more efficient then airplanes in the near future. I've seen a documentation that gave a great insight in the coming transportation revolution in the next twenty years. Superconductors are fascinating.

[edit on 22.11.2008 by SiONiX]

Maglevs are real cool and it's quite likely they'll be the future transportation prototype. They're too expensive at the moment.

But I'm still waiting for my flying car!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

If room-temperature superconducting materials are ever conceived, we could be looking at electrical energy with near-perfect efficiency and a big step forward in transportation(maglevs).

Yes, perfect efficiency in the delivery of the electricity, however, power still needs to used in semi-conductors to achieve logic states, drive motors, etc. Transformers need to be resistive, otherwise the EM transfer from coil to coil would never occur... Antennae need to be resistive, otherwise they neither emit or receive signals. Resistors and Capacitors are still required...
So basically, all it's really good for is the transmission of energy from point to point, not it's use in the electronic circuits.

... but you said near perfect, so you're covered.

As for superconductive materials having the ability to convert electrical energy into a physical force, I haven't studied this phenomenon, so I can't give my 2 cents on it.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Yes, perfect efficiency in the delivery of the electricity, however, power still needs to used in semi-conductors to achieve logic states, drive motors, etc. Transformers need to be resistive, otherwise the EM transfer from coil to coil would never occur... Antennae need to be resistive, otherwise they neither emit or receive signals. Resistors and Capacitors are still required...
So basically, all it's really good for is the transmission of energy from point to point, not it's use in the electronic circuits.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by johnsky]

Honestly, my understanding of electrical systems and physics in general is very limited. I'm in college wanting to switch over to a physics major, so these kinds of articles are of great interest to me, and actually motivate me even more to pursue physics. But thanks for that tid bit of info.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by GeeGee]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

Not a problem friend.

The part that I'm really interested in is the ability to create physical force... I'm most interested in learning more about that, as I know next to nothing on it as it stands now.

But as far as superconductive materials being good for only transmission of power in electronics, there are other fields that are making the electronics themselves more efficient.
There's the work being done in optical logic gates. No electricity used within the gate itself. I don't know the physics behind it, but I intend to be in the know as soon as I can get my hands on the information.
Then there's quantum computing... not exactly power efficient, but it is certainly a huge boost in performance.

Just because superconductive materials aren't an advancement in electronics themselves, doesn't mean it won't be a huge advancement in other aspects of science.

As for me... I deal with robotics... I don't pretend to rival those working in other fields.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

reply to post by GeeGee

Not a problem friend.

The part that I'm really interested in is the ability to create physical force... I'm most interested in learning more about that, as I know next to nothing on it as it stands now.

But as far as superconductive materials being good for only transmission of power in electronics, there are other fields that are making the electronics themselves more efficient.
There's the work being done in optical logic gates. No electricity used within the gate itself. I don't know the physics behind it, but I intend to be in the know as soon as I can get my hands on the information.
Then there's quantum computing... not exactly power efficient, but it is certainly a huge boost in performance.

Just because superconductive materials aren't an advancement in electronics themselves, doesn't mean it won't be a huge advancement in other aspects of science.

As for me... I deal with robotics... I don't pretend to rival those working in other fields.

Not sure what you mean in terms of creating a physical force. We create one every time we push or pull something.

Superconductors have many more applications than I mentioned, though. I just mentioned transportation and energy since those two are the first that came to mind. Room temperature superconductors have been crowned the "holy grail" of condensed matter physics, so I tend to think their discovery is quite important in terms of technological progress. The strangest application of superconductors I've ever heard came from Michio Kaku, who suggested that it would be possible to create a sort of anti-gravity belt to levitate individuals.

Now, robotics - that field will take off once someone discovers the secret behind making true sentient machines.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by GeeGee]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeeGee
Not sure what you mean in terms of creating a physical force. We create one every time we push or pull something.

Yep, that's the one... the one and only.
But energy passing over matter creating one is quite interesting to me.

Originally posted by GeeGee
Now, robotics - that field will take off once someone discovers the secret behind making true sentient machines.

Woah, don't get ahead of yourself there.

I enjoy being able to tell my machines what to do, and know they're going to follow my instructions pending any failures with their design.

I'd rather not have to give the instruction, then spend half an hour explaining why it should do it.

I like my machines just the way they are... dumb and obedient.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Yep, that's the one... the one and only.
But energy passing over matter creating one is quite interesting to me.

Hrmm, never heard of this before. Do you have any sources that could point me in the right direction?

Woah, don't get ahead of yourself there.

I enjoy being able to tell my machines what to do, and know they're going to follow my instructions pending any failures with their design.

I'd rather not have to give the instruction, then spend half an hour explaining why it should do it.

I like my machines just the way they are... dumb and obedient.

Luckily for you, we are a long, long way from having any kind of terminator-type robot that will make us their pets. Our most advanced robot right now has the cognitive capability of a mentally challenged cockroach.

At least for now, the concept of a bicentennial man will remain in science fiction.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: GeeGee

I am reviving this thread to add this new and relevant information:

www.scienceagogo.com...
UNUSUAL CARBON-BASED MOLECULE DETECTED 27,000 LIGHT YEARS AWAY
"Astronomers have discovered an unusual carbon-based molecule - isopropyl cyanide - in the gaseous star-forming region Sagittarius B2. The discovery, made using the ALMA radio telescope array, suggests that the complex molecules needed for life may have their origins in interstellar space. The astronomers, from Cornell University, the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy, and the University of Cologne have described their discovery in the latest issue of Science."

top topics

join