It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pathetic lawsuits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
So today I read two threads. One was about eHarmony being sued for not catering to homosexuals. The other was about the Canadian government forcing airlines to let the obese have two airplane seats. Is this for real? Should I be allowed to sue the NAACP? I don't think so. Does anyone around here agree that these rulings are ridiculous? Why should a company be forced to lose profit because a customer is overweight? Why should an internet matching site be forced to cater to another group of people? Where will this all end? Any thoughts/comments wither way are appreciated.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Raustin]

I really can't spell this early in the morning!

Change title

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
You know what, I'm really getting tired of this; people who look for reasons to be unhappy. And sue. I have several close gay friends and eharmony is the last place they would look for a date. Likewise, if I were going to internet date (not that I would ever put myself through that again, ack!) I would not go to a dating site that catered to lesbians and gays. Even if they did have a "straight" category (and some may, I haven't checked) I would think I would find more men my type at a heterosexually geared dating site.

There are a multitude of dating sites for every taste and preference. Just a few I have seen or heard of are: military, cowboys, gold diggers, people who like pets, one where a female friend vouches for the guy/and vice verse. etc.

I think it's fine to ask the company, start a petition perhaps, communicate with the owner of eharmony and tell him how it would benefit him if he offered same sex dating. But I'm really against the suing part!

Looks like a settlement was reached:

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

edit for spelling and clarification

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Miss Sile]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Miss Sile

I agree totally. All the suing over nothing has got to stop. I blame it on the PC trend. It seems like EVERYTHING is off limits now.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

I agree totally. All the suing over nothing has got to stop. I blame it on the PC trend. It seems like EVERYTHING is off limits now.

Really? I blame litigation culture on pure unadulterated greed and the love of money. If it's not the claimants that are in transports of delight at the sound and smell of money, it's lawyers that push these cases.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Don't expect you're government to change laws considering sueing.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
As I've been telling people I know for a long time now; there are many who appear to wake up each morning, flip on the TV and ask themselves, "what can I be offended by today?" A great number of which frequent ATS as of late...

But I digress, and agree.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The saddest part is that if there is such a gay demand for E-Harmony, then it seems that instead of suing E-Harmony, opening your own gay version would be a far more wise business endeavour than suing but maybe that is just me.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This suing thing is like a parasite and it has totally invaded the blood of the world. I was just reading a big thread on the canadian airline story, (the one you mentioned, Raustin.) and it made me start to think, hey...I'm allergic to many of those air fresheners that are installed in various public bathrooms, maybe I should sue! I mean...what the hay! If I am even a whole aisle away from the detergent and cleaning supply aisle in the grocery store, my throat starts to close up. Should I seek out a lawyer?

Gosh, where does it end?

I think that the more people sue, the more people will sue, because they see that their neighbor got a free lunch why shouldn't they. Sadly, this disgraceful behavior then puts an ugly shadow on legitimate claims of negligence.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Coffee + Lap?
KFC + I'm unhealthy?

Those lawsuits were just as stupid and were not at all PC. I tend to think it is about greed and "Protect me, just me, not any opressed group but just my one personal set of selfish needs."

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I agree I should have mentioned the monetary aspect as well. I guess for some it is very tempting to get some quick cash for something that you shouldn't. I wish I had thought up gayHarmony.com dangit! I'd be rich!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I wish I had thought up gayHarmony.com dangit! I'd be rich!

There is still time.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I don't think I have the necessary funds/desire to do it! Someone should though. I promise I won't sue if you use my idea!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I don't think I have the necessary funds/desire to do it! Someone should though. I promise I won't sue if you use my idea!

Maybe you could gather the investment capital by suing E-harmony.

Oh...wait

[edit on 22-11-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Your Posts are

Very Shocking and Offensive

I just FELL OFF MY CHAIR

I will have my lawyers Contact Ats for your real names so you can All be sued for the harm I have been caused

I will also Sue Ats for allowing you o post this offensive material

Your Lawyers I will sue them too

and the people who raised you also

and

I want reparations from your Governments

[edit on 22-11-2008 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Love it. I accidentally burned myself with the stove and I thought about my thread... Suing GE for my stupidity now. My finger really hurts and I want compensation!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

The settlement, which did not find that EHarmony broke any laws, calls for the company to either offer the gay matches on its current venue or create a new site for them. EHarmony has opted to create a site called Compatiblepartners.net.

I'm curious if this Ms. Carlson, (the one that started the suit,) has a record of suing. Or just a record of hot headedness. If it's the latter and she can't land a gal on the new eharmony sister site, if she will sue again.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Probably. God forbid her match treats her poorly! Sue eHarmony for the abuses of new gal pal... That's gotta be worth at least a cool million.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The US has raised a generation of victims for every conceivable reason of why they are failures other than the fact that they can not accept blame for their own actions.

Part of this started back in the 60's with good intentions from new Federal laws about equality that have been twisted and turned into a system totally unrecognizable from the intent. Many of the TV shows from the late 60's and 70's featured lawyers doing whatever, but kids by the 100'000's followed them into law school. A lawyer needs court cases to feed his/her family, so now we have a match made in heaven.

As for changing the system. No, the Trial Lawyers Association has too much influence in Washington. If anything happens, it will get worse as the more people become unemployed looking for money. Can't get a job, obviously discrimination. Home being repossessed, obviously a victim of predatory bankers. And the list goes on and on ....

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Good points. We really have become a nation of whiners seeking handouts. I recently heard a woman telling a friend at the grocery store she was thinking about suing her credit card company for making her broke. WOW.

top topics

join