It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logical Fallacy Clearing House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
As a relative newcomer to ATS, I hope that I'm not being impolite or overstepping bounds in proposing this and I hope that I'm not duplicating the work of other posters. If I've done so, please feel free to move or lock the thread as appropriate (not that moderators need my permission to do so).

The idea here is to provide a neutral territory where members of the community can come to test the waters of their thought processes and rhetoric. Moreover, I'd like this to be a place where a member can quote arguments of others and ask for assistance in deconstructing their logical merit. I've noticed that many members of the community are familiar with the concept of logical process and logical fallacies. I think the entire community stands to benefit from more rigorous debate practices regardless of the specific point being argued or which side a person may be arguing on.

I'd like this thread to be a place where, without contagion from another thread, a community member can post specific examples of an argument, a thought process, an exchange, and ask for assistance in deconstructing the logical elements. So if others are game, I'd propose these ground rules:

• If you are quoting another member or a post from another forum, please do not quote the source. Again, this compromises a neutral, no-threat environment. The idea is to evaluate ideas on their merit minus personalities and egos.

• If someone asks about the logical veracity of something you've said in another thread, you shouldn't respond to them. That would compromise a neutral, no-threat environment for learning about logic and rhetoric. Besides, it might be enlightening to simply watch what others have to say.

• This shouldn't be a place for scolding or lecturing (in a non-scholarly way). Questions from the "less learned" should be met with a willingness to share knowledge and insight. If you're not feeling patient, perhaps you should save your post for later.

• We should stick to formal definitions and ideally source them so that people can read more about why you interpret a logical construct the way that you do.

• This is not about a fact checking. Analyzing an argument and showing that a premise isn't true because the facts are in dispute is a gray territory. It's probably best simply to tell the poster that the argument may be suspect simply because the premise isn't sufficiently established.

Here are some links I've found helpful:

I will keep an eye on this thread and do my best to pitch in should anyone bring arguments for the analyzing!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I searched for any threads on debate and logic and found this one from three years ago. No replies? This is a very good OP and needs to be taken seriously.

If people cannot recognize faults in their or others' logic, they will forever talk over each others' heads. We get bogged down in trying to invent new definitions of words in the middle of a conversation (equivocation), misunderstand terms such as ad hominem (does NOT mean the person said something mean but that their argument is against the opponent instead of the opponent's argument), and many other such impediments to communication.

The links to logic sites are good and there are many more, and some handy charts to help keep the terminology straight. I really think that until logic is included in everyone's required education, we will never get off the ground.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Curiouser and curiouser I just revived another post of mine that was almost three years old because I thought it was too important to be forgotten and this one is one that I have taken an interest in also and consider important in fact I have created my own list and have been compiling a couple other lists of these fallacies; I refereed to my own as indoctrination tactics but the point is the same. I wrote about them in a manipulation tactics blog.

The following is my little list of other cites which I will add the ones you compiled; the last one is the one I created:

www.nizkor.org...

www.nobeliefs.com...

zakherys.tripod.com...

new topics

join