It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portal to Maya "Hell" Found in Mexico?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
A fantastic discovery from the world of the Maya.

A labyrinth filled with stone temples and pyramids in 14 caves—some underwater—have been uncovered on Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula, archaeologists announced recently.

The discovery has experts wondering whether Maya legend inspired the construction of the underground complex—or vice versa.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Legend says the afterlife for ancient Mayas was a terrifying obstacle course in which the dead had to traverse rivers of blood, and chambers full of sharp knives, bats and jaguars.

Now a Mexican archaeologist using long-forgotten testimony from the Spanish Inquisition says a series of caves he has explored may be the place where the Maya actually tried to depict this highway through hell.

The network of underground chambers, roads and temples beneath farmland and jungle on the Yucatan peninsula suggests the Maya fashioned them to mimic the journey to the underworld, or Xibalba, described in ancient mythological texts such as the Popol Vuh.

ap.google.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Very interesting. Is it just me, or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of interest lately in subjects pertaining to God, and all that that denotes? I'm talking both pro and con, i.e. Christians showing more interest in delving beneath the surface, and non-Christians -- typing their fingers to the bone to convince themsel, er I mean us, that we have it all wrong.

Anyway just the other day, for the first time I heard the undoubtedly-now-infamous "screams from hell" but these are probably old hat for most of you. I don't get out that often

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Good thread.
Just a heads up - I think this was covered about a week ago.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Is it just me or does this seem strangely coincidental with the launch of Tomb Raider Underworld, where you among other places visit just this location?

Just thinking

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of interest lately in subjects pertaining to God, and all that that denotes?

I've noticed that too.

There's also been a lot of new amazing archaeological finds on the subjects of death and religion.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ah this makes me so pleased. I hope to hear some updates on this find?
I know this is more of a comment, but im just so glad theyre still finding things!

top topics

join