It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken-filled Nuclear Landmine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
In what has got to be the most bizzare element of Cold War planning yet revealed, several online news outlets are reporting on a declassified project to counter the threat of Soviet invasion by burying 10 kiloton nuclear landmines filled with live chickens. The poultry would generate enough heat to ensure the bomb worked in very cold temperatures. If it does turn out to be a joke it has to be the most widely carried prank ever. Even the AP has picked it up.
The number of possible "chicken" puns alone would be a suitable deterrent.

BBC- Nuclear Chicken Landmind

I stumbled upon this story in a BBC list of 10 stories that could be pranks - but aren't. Link

More:
NewScientist.com
ThisisLondon.com
Yahoo News

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
who wants nuke fried chicken?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This was on weaponary yesterday. But got deleted and sent to BTS.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Out,
Russian

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hmm, missed it on BTS yesterday and did a search for "nuclear + landmine" and "Chicken + landmine" just before posting. Oh, well, this post shall go the way of Operation Blue Peacock.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaOfTheOmega

lol, I'll take some

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

Originally posted by AlphaOfTheOmega

lol, I'll take some
Save some for me!

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
April foooooooools..

The newstext was written on the 1:st of April..

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helix
April foooooooools..

The newstext was written on the 1:st of April..

Helix, thanks for the in depth analysis and careful research into the authenticity of this story. Perhaps you would like to pass along your findings to The National Archives (TNA), with whom I have been in contact. An employee of the Reader Information Services Department has responded to my inquiries concerning the authenticity of this widely circulated news item. She states,

I can verify that the story concerning the use of live chickens is indeed true, and not an April Fool as many people have also suspected. The story ties in with an in house exhibition that we are currently displaying regarding the Cold War. The exhibition opened on April 2nd, with a press preview on 31st March, so the release of the story on April Fool's Day, was a happy coincidence.

The statements that have been attributed to our staff include references to our Press Officer, Robert Smith, Head of Education and Interpretation, Tom O'Leary, and Head of Research, Stephen Twigge, and these are all genuine statements.
[end quote]
If anyone wants to act as and agent in the field and verify it in person, the exhibit is at The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, UK. Link

It was a brilliant, inspired piece of marketing, I must say. It has gotten a ton of publicity and interest going on what seems like a rather dry Cold War museum exhibit.. What other day would have allowed this story to make the front page of any newspaper?

top topics

join