It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Sequence Half the Woolly Mammoth's Genome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Thousands of years after the last woolly mammoth lumbered across the tundra, scientists have sequenced a whopping 50 percent of the beast’s nuclear genome, they report in a new study. Earlier attempts to sequence the DNA of these icons of the Ice Age produced only tiny quantities of code. The new work marks the first time that so much of the genetic material of an extinct creature has been retrieved. Not only has the feat provided insight into the evolutionary history of mammoths, but it is a step toward realizing the science-fiction dream of being able to resurrect a long-gone animal.

Full story

awesome

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
LOL Didn't they see Jurassic Park? Is it is a good idea to clone an extinct animal?

What will they feed it?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Sounds pretty cool to me, also with such technology we can stop animals such as orangutans and tigers becoming extinct, and even if they do we can just bring them back

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Nixie_nox, they would feed it likely whatever the Asian elephant eats- As it would be bred from the Asian elephant.
So it wouldn't be a Woolly Mammoth- It would be an animal very close though.

BBTBE, I don't think it's that simple. We still have to reproduce the creature, so how would we go about doing that?
We'd have to implant them into their closest living relative.
And even still, with todays technology- We might not decode 100% of the DNA, and therefore bring to life a creature that is very similar- But, one that just isn't what the original was.

I think it's a much better goal to simply keep these creatures alive than to be able to revive them whenever we see fit.

Good post, Warrenb.

new topics

top topics

join