It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart paint creates chomeleon and self repairing tanks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
researchers at the New Jersey Institute of technology along with the army are using nano-tech to develope a new paint which would blend into it's backgrounds and repair the tanks surface. Along with providing visual stealth and perhaps incombat automated repairs, it could also save money. 10 billion dollars a year are spent repairing vehicles surfaces with 2 billion of that going to the paint job it's self.

(I wonder, how can we possably spend 2 billion on paint jobs??? then again, we did find some place to sell us 50 dollar hammers)

check it out

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by American Mad Man]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Interesting! One thing that strikes me is that the date is from November 2002. I wonder what progress have they made since then in this technologies developement.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
(I wonder, how can we possably spend 2 billion on paint jobs??? then again, we did find some place to sell us 50 dollar hammers)

They are NOT hammers. They are hand-held, variable speed, multi-directional, impact generators. They are way more advanced than a generic hammer. That's why they cost so much.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
haha, i keep imagining someone hearing a tank and seeing tank tracks headed right for them... but not actually seeing the tank.

good find, thought. that's really interesting. and like Sigma said, i wonder how much that's advanced since this article was published.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

They are NOT hammers. They are hand-held, variable speed, multi-directional, impact generators. They are way more advanced than a generic hammer. That's why they cost so much.

hahahaha - ok, I didn't know - I was just being my usulual smart-ass self

Interesting! One thing that strikes me is that the date is from November 2002. I wonder what progress have they made since then in this technologies developement.

I dunno - I do know that i read somewhere that nano tech is probably 15-20 years away from being really useful, where we could do things competently with it. I will try to dig up the sight.

haha, i keep imagining someone hearing a tank and seeing tank tracks headed right for them... but not actually seeing the tank.

I get that image too - but in mine the guy tries to run away, but then runs into the invisable tank

join