It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air launched minuteman missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

tested just after the galaxy entered service - i wonder if have carried on these tests ; its a shame Skybolt got cancelled i think - the theory for an air mobile weapon is sound

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The idea is interesting but only if you purchase a large number of C-5s, seeing as how it's one missile per plane. They would also have been just as vulnerable to the credible 80's Soviet first strike capability. Most of our costal and near costal CONUS air bases, and overseas facilities could be hit before the bombers, or in this case transports, could get far enough. But this could have been effective as a means of quickly transporting mobile/silo based ICBMs to other regions of the world, ally nations etc... Or deploying to remote US air bases in select countries to increase the number of targets for Russia.

But good find.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Har, thats is great find
!

Think off the possibilities off using 300 to 500 C5's/AN124's with each carrying an ICBM!

Not only would it make it nearly impossible to destroy the enemy's nuclear capabillities, it would also greatly enhanche range and you can launch missiles under almost any angle, any height anywhere in the world!

Heck, you can fly from Europe to lets say Africa and launch a strike there thats heading towards India. Hypotheticaly spoken offcourse.

Once again, great find Harlequin!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I question the accuracy of the missile back then, as there was no no GPS and no fixed location from where it could calculate its flight.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
I question the accuracy of the missile back then, as there was no no GPS and no fixed location from where it could calculate its flight.

I dont think that accuracy was needed in this experiment but more that they (organisers behind the test/experiment) wanted to know if you could air launch an ICBM.

But the missile could navigate using a compass + map + fast spinning gyro's. But thats just gueswork.

new topics

top topics

join