It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Depression 2009: What would it look like?" - Answers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The new version of the NWO has been cementing its power since the US has been busy with worthless wars and economic crisis.

Is call World Trade Organization

This people are growing and getting bigger, they now have offices of everything and the are here to make sure America will lose its sovereignty to their demands.

Their agencies extend to trade, health, the environment, telecoms, food.

And now they are working to control global finances all behind the backs of the unsuspected nations that are falling under their command.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
another wild card is the availability of Letters of credit required to ship goods (inc. food) this could lead to food shortages soon as well

[edit on 16-11-2008 by cpdaman]

This is a scenario I've been worried about for a while. There could be an abundance of food, but if it's not getting to people they still go hungry the same.

I think this is one major difference between now and the 30s. We might not have a Dust Bowl situation at this time, but food was grown and consumed much more locally back then. I live in the middle-of-nowhere with livestock and fields of grain as far as the eye can see. However, there is no local mill grinding wheat into flour. Except for feed corn, grain is shipped elsewhere for processing. Yes, you could grow your own corn to eat and wheat to make flour, but not in the middle of winter. And a small percentage of people own the land and livestock. Most people, even around here, do not work on a farm. So obtaining the amount of land it would take to grow grain and vegetables enough to sustain you through winter would be impossible.

So now even those of us who live in rural areas depend on their food to be shipped in. What happens when the shipping companies cannot get the line of credit to purchase fuel? We will have food rotting on docks and in warehouses and people across the nation going hungry. I think this is a very real possibility. And I am amazed at how quickly it is all unfolding.

I remember as a child watching my grandmother rinse out a paper towel and hang it to dry so it could be reused, and wondering why you would do that when the whole point of a paper towel was that it was disposable.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by otherhalf

You know in rural areas on most of the nation is something call "local growers" perhaps you should start learning who they are and where they meet.

Usually they meet on local markets.

I have been keeping taps on my local growers for a while just in case things get that bad, it will actually boost that forgotten part of our nation that has been forgotten.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I understand what you are saying, marg. But I grew up in a town of less than 200 people and there was no grocery store, let alone a farmer's market of any sorts. We drove 10 miles, one way, to get groceries and that is pretty close for around here. A huge area of my state is so rural that it might be 50 or more miles to a town of big enough size to buy or trade goods. Even growing their own, people in that town would do without milk products, meat, or grain products if they were unable to travel due to fuel supplies being cut off.

And even if you can find local growers, they aren't going to be growing anything this time of year. It would be 7-8 months before any vegetables or fruit (what little fruit can grow here) and new grain crops would be ready.

I'm not sure how long the local livestock would be able to supply the area with meat. Guess it depends on how long their feed would hold out without shipping. I remember winters where feed was in such short supply that it actually cost more to feed the animal than the animal was worth. The government let ranchers mow what was left of ditches to use as feed and a lot of animals were culled before they starved. There are very few milking cows or chickens (for meat or eggs) around my area. If something drastic would happen, we'd have to survive on beef, pork, and water for a long time. There would be no veggies or fruits (and therefore no juices), no milk products, and possibly no grain products (depending on how much local elevators have on hand, how much is consumable and if it has already been contracted).

I can't imagine that living in a more urban area would be any better. Even if the outlying areas produce food, that's a lot of people to feed with very little resources.

And then there's always the storage/preservation issue. Canning supplies would run out fast without more being shipped in. Even if you raise milking cows, do you have the equipment necessary to gather and store milk for selling? How many people in the population know how to make a loaf of bread from a bag of wheat, even if they could get their hands on it?

In the long run, we could survive. Short term, until enough crops were grown, livestock herds expanded, supplies gathered and knowledge obtained, we are gonna be hungry.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by otherhalf

AT least in my state we are able to have local growers and plenty of cattle.

It is very sad that the reason we have now a nation that doesn't work the land much is because our own government in order to control food supplies and suppliers pays farmers no to grow anything.

But as things starts to get short we may start to see farmers going back to the old ways.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I don't think they'll be a 2009 Depression, simply because it takes time for all the imploding companies to implode, and laid off workers to both run out of savings and unemployment benefits. Plus not all imploding companies will implode on Jan 1, 2009, it will be a series of plant and store closures. Bankrupt states and cities will take a few months to implode, California budget cycle was just completed a few months ago. Late 2009 will be scary, but how can we recover in 2010 without consumers consuming?

The original great depression took about 3 years to hit bottom and that's with hundreds of banks closing and uninsured deposits.

We seem to have had a deeper correction in 2008 than was experienced in 1929:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is a very interesting post.

In reality, we don't know what a year 2009 depression will look like.

Who will be hurt and who will survive? That's hard to predict.

Personally, I'm already planning a huge garden next year. If I still have my job, I'll share my veggies and stuff. If I'm out of work, I'll still eat.

I tend to think that this downward spiral will continue. When I was out walking the other day I noticed that one of the restaurants only had about a third of their seats filled. The weather here is great but people aren't eating out as much.

As I walked buy a Toyota dealership, a salesman came out and tried to bring me into the lot. I told him I didn't need a car. His parting works were "Tell your co-workers that I"ll sell them anything on the lot for invoice."

So, cars don't seem to be moving any more. I don't know anyone who's purchased a new car recently. Historically, where I work there are usually a couple of new cars per month in the parking lot. Not now.

I'd hate to be running a restaurant or for that matter any type of "extra" service business right now. When people cut back, one of the first things would be eating out, buying coffee out, stopping at the mini mart for a soda , getting your hair cut etc.

As the business close, then their are more people out of work. It's a vicious spiral.

If the federal government wants to do something, they need to consider, perhaps, spend on construction of infrastructure. That creates good paying jobs and those people in turn then support the local businesses.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The alcohol and antidepressant pharmecuetical industries are thriving. I knew I should have invested in it when I has opportuinity.

Seriously, this is truly scary. It's almost if the commerce has backed up itself into a corner and now either we kick out or fail horribly...Could be NWO plans also? We would have to be in the proper position economically, socially, etc for this to happen?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Depression 2009 will include food lines and food riots. Home invasion robberies will be commonplace (actually are now and underreported in the media). The banks WILL bulldoze houses that are empty. The money supply will dry up once the dollar dies and people can't change it into the new "whatever". This will lead to our infrastructure falling into disrepair as no tax money is there to pay for local govt. 401K's will be seized as will state and union pensions. SS checks will stop or drop substantially. Prisons will be everywhere as everything becomes a crime. Your neighbor will be your enemy and family that you don't share with will inform on you. It will be ugly because no one cares and thinks that if they ignore it it will go away. LOL people are screwed.

All you have to do is look around to realize that things are in bad shape yet everyone is blind.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

I don't think they'll be a 2009 Depression

I agree because I believe that it has already started.
Let's look at the facts:
The all time high on the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) as of April 7th, 2008 was 14,164

Today's close 7997

That is a decline of 43.5%

During the Great Depression of the 1930's, the Dow dropped 43%.

Unemployment is starting to skyrocket. In the last 2 weeks, many major companies have announced huge layoffs. Those numbers will continue to increase as the situation continues to deteriorate.

Consumer prices are plummeting.

Credit defaults are increasing at an alarming rate.

Banks are making virtually no loans.

Banks are failing left and right.

Home owner defaults are increasing dramatically .

Paulson doesn't even know what to do anymore, and admits it's just a guessing game, at Congressional hearings this week.

The American Auto Industry is on the verge of disappearing. At the best, the big 3 will probably go bankrupt. At worst, Congress will throw good money upon bad, delaying the inevitable demise of 3 companies that couldn't control union demands, and wouldn't retool for more efficient cars. We the taxpayers would then have no way of recouping the "loan" the Congress gives them.
That will result in a total loss of approximately 3,000,000 jobs, both direct and indirect.

Obama has indicated that he will issue an executive order to stop offshore drilling, ensuring that we remain dependent upon Mid-East oil.

Credit Card companies are decreasing customer credit limits.

Retail stores are laying off now, rather than hiring for the Holiday "Rush".

The holiday rush is expected to be a holiday trickle.

Bank and finance executives, recipients of the bailout bill, are still giving themselves big Christmas bonuses, squandering the money that comes from the taxpayers. 82% of the companies will still be holding a Christ Party, which we are paying for, further squandering our tax dollars, and showing that they have no regard for the working class.

We continue to further bankrupt our economy with wars that we cannot win.

We now have debt of around 13 trillion dollars, with the debt growing by the day.

Obama has shown by his picks for his cabinet that he is no different from Clinton and Bush, as he picks political hacks from "inside the beltway".

Obama plans mandatory civilian service, as a way to lesson the unemployment rate, as well as for other nefarious reasons.

Yes, the Depression has already begun, regardless of what the experts tell you. Just open your eyes. Why should you believe the government now, when you know that they have been lying to you for decades?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I'd hate to be running a restaurant or for that matter any type of "extra" service business right now. When people cut back, one of the first things would be eating out, buying coffee out, stopping at the mini mart for a soda , getting your hair cut etc.

*raises hand*

I don't own the place, but I do work (now part time) at a small, non-chain, "upscale casual" restaurant. Business fell off a cliff around mid-September. Mid-October we were looking at a 40% drop in sales. Now it's closer to 60-70% down - the owner isn't measuring it anymore. Compared to a normal 50 cover dinner service during the summer, we're lucky to get 20 covers now. People are ordering sandwiches instead of entrees, skipping appetizers, ordering water instead of soda...those that do come in are cutting it to the bone.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
dunno, I've been doing all those belt tightening things the article talks about for some time now, don't know how much further it will tighten...
maybe I'll do what my parents did in the first great depression and get a cow and some chickens - it worked for them, they ate and had a little extra to sell, and survived!
I can't help but wonder what Oprah, Gates and their ilk are going to be doing while the rest of us starve???
One thing, they sure will have a lot of cheap labor available to help on their properties.
Think maybe they'll get together and pay off everyone's mortgages before they all default, or maybe buy each of us a new car, just to keep things going?
hmmmmm

[edit on 22-11-2008 by wayno]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Remember People, Charity begins at home and during this crisis we can help family,friends and neighbors. All we have is each other to depend on. We can watch each others properties,form neighborhood patrols or groups. There is predicted an alarming rate of home invasions. We must help each other here. Pay Attention. Write down number plates, descriptions,times,dates. Perhaps take firearms lessons or get mace and a big dog for security. Tip: the best alarm dog is a goose. Anyone who has ever owned one ( or many) has seen firsthand that they don't stop honking until you LEAVE. They are the best alarm system ever! Store lots of staples starting now. A bit every week adds up. NO major purchases. Make do with what you have. Get needed dental work done NOW if you can afford it. Also new glasses ASAP as you won't have money for these "luxuries" later. Use coupons. Stock up on toothpaste, floss,aspirin,rubbing alcohol,bacitracin,bandages,benadryl, soap,shampoo.razor blades etc...and of course food staples. People with medical issues need to take into consideration their own unique needs. People with pets as well. We can get through the tough times together!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join