It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Cam hoaxes - how to tell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ok, so I love a good ghost story and I like finding ghost pictures, videos, and the like. However, I also need irrefutable proof to believe in the authenticity of what I see. I put no creedence in orbs, or wisps etc.

So, while perusing the EarthCam network I came across a webcam located at:

darkartsmedia.com...

The description reads:

This 24-7 "Haunted Hallway Cam" is a sure thing. Located in the hallway of an old apartment building here in New York City...in the Manhattan neighborhood of "Hell's Kitchen" oddly enough. Image update every 20 seconds.

So I decided to have some fun while I ate my brunch and watch the cam. After 15 minutes or so, I saw something in front of the camera and threw my plate on the floor in attempt to hit the "print screen" button.

I got an image and I have a few questions.

1. How can you tell that a webcam is actually updating every 20 seconds, if that is what it claims? How does one know if it isn't simply a slideshow with a photoshop'd image in between?

2. What are the obvious signs of a fake (lighting? transparency? etc). I know nothing about these things, so am gullible to a lot of presented material.

3. How does one determine the culprit behind the alleged hoax/website to contact them with an earfull...and a carpet cleaning bill?

I am mad about my brunch, it was delish.

Picture one was the cam with nothing on it, taken after the fact.
Picture 2 is the image that made me throw my plate, lose my brunch, and end up here.

I googled first, for any info on this site, to no avail. Help me out?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That is either one great photoshop pic, or one of the best ghost pic's i have seen. i'm leaning twords photoshop..
it is interesting.. but a bit to convient that you get a close up face shot.
But i could be wrong..

i dont see anywhere in the photo where you can see that it was cut and past , edges are smooth, no jagged areas that should not be there, so that leaves layering..

its hard to tell much though, the picture is so small and low quality cant
realy do a lot of checking.

although when pulling it into photoshop and doing a negative and other tricks
i cant see anything that was messed with.
Nothing in the file to give info either.. usualy with a photo you can open the file and get camera info etc. Which makes me wonder if it was some photo program..

Interesting picture though.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think the same - if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Unfortunately I can't make it bigger because it was a screenshot of a small webcam window. Unless someone can advise me.

It scared me, lol, it really got me.

Bugger.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I got to admit my heart jumped big time when I saw that. However, it is a prank to scare your friends who think they are watching a live webcam show.

Another "live" webcam show showing UFO.... well I'll let you watch it for yourself. It's really funny. It's from the same site.
www.darkartsmedia.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
hahaha

Nice find Deaf Alien

Well that wraps it up; no ghost, no brunch, no one to blame but good old gullible me.

Sigh, well at least I didn't buy into the GFL ship, I mean, even I have my limits

Note to self: no eating while watching ghost cams

Cheers all.

new topics

top topics

join