It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ayers Explains Relationship with Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
news.aol.com...

Ayers finally comes out and explains his relationship with Obama...

Do you think he should have spoken up before now??

[edit on 14-11-2008 by scrubsnstuffkim]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by scrubsnstuffkim
Do you think he should have spoken up before now?

I don't. If he had spoken up, people would have said he was trying to protect "his friend" or some weird thing.
If people weren't smart enough to read and comprehend the situation, which many clearly weren't, that's their failing.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Nah... especially since he didn't have much of a relationship.

See this is what happens

1. Republicans said "He's hanging with terrorists!!! Who is the real Barack Obama?"

2. The Obama campaign, realizing how idiotic this statement was and how it was merely dealing with the politics of fear chose not to legitimize it beyond a simple sentence from Obama.

3. The Republicans, miffed that Obama won't play their game then play the "WHAT IS HE HIDING?" card.

This is the same tactic that went on with the Birth Certificate... "WHAT IS HE HIDING!"

Ayers did the rational thing, and instead of generating more of a feedback loop on the story, knowing it was just BS, he simply waited till it was a better time to speak up and clear his name.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ayers is a very smart man. That being said, my response is who knows, who cares, why bother.
In construction, we have a saying that violates T&C, but suffice to say that you are a result of your action.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
One question puzzles me regarding Obama and Ayers. Why does Obama refer to Ayers as a "guy who lives on my street" and yet Ayers refers to Obama as a family friend in the new afterword of his republished book. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Ayers is still unrepentant regarding his past actions and still wishes that they would have done more.

Ayers is a cheap sellout trying to make some money off of his old book. I can assume that he can't think of anything new to write about. Plus, I thought he despised capitalism.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thats an easy one. If I was releasing a book, I'd try to tie myself to Obama as well.

Great publicity.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by scrubsnstuffkim

I think that there is WAY more to the Ayers-Obama connection then anyone can even imagine, and 1000X more then what the MainStream media is leading on...

Ayers has ties to Both the Castros, and Chavez.
Close ties with the private guards of these dictators.
Ayers in Venezulea, giving speachs...

Time will tell...
The actions will revel the intentions of both men.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
One question puzzles me regarding Obama and Ayers. Why does Obama refer to Ayers as a "guy who lives on my street" and yet Ayers refers to Obama as a family friend in the new afterword of his republished book. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood, who's a professor of English in Chicago, who I know and who I have not received some official endorsement from. He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis.

And the notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago when I was 8 years old, somehow reflects on me and my values, doesn't make much sense, George.

The fact is, is that I'm also friendly with Tom Coburn, one of the most conservative Republicans in the United States Senate, who during his campaign once said that it might be appropriate to apply the death penalty to those who carried out abortions.

Do I need to apologize for Mr. Coburn's statements? Because I certainly don't agree with those either.

Transcript from debate

Puzzle solved.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by davion

So why does Ayers declare Obama to be a family Friend?

The sentiment is clearly not mutual between them. Obama is saving face.

Let's go back to Obama's coming out party of 1995. Obama was entrenched in the Chicago scene and in Chicago politics in the years prior to 1995. There is no way in hell that he or his handlers did not know about Ayers' "destestable" past actions as a domestic terrorist. Obama clearly didn't think Ayers past was a problem because he attended the reception at his home. If I was in Obamas shoes at that time I wouldn't touch Ayers with a ten foot pole and after Ayers' 2001 comments I would have contained him on a leper colony. To me being remotely associated with Ayers is political suicide. But such is not the case with Obama. The I was only 8 years old excuse doesn't cut it when you are as intelligent and cunning as Obama clearly is .

Ayers still thinks that he or his cohorts did nothing wrong and still thinks that blowing up buildings in the name of a political cause is not considered terrorism because no one got hurt or was killed. I'm sure the Taliban and Al Quada feel the same way about terrorism.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by jibeho]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by davion

So why does Ayers declare Obama to be a family Friend?

The sentiment is clearly not mutual between them. Obama is saving face.

How does a sentiment not shared between the two mean Obama is saving face?

I've had people I've thought of as "distant associates" that considered me a "close friend", does that mean I'm saving face too?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by jibeho

Thats an easy one. If I was releasing a book, I'd try to tie myself to Obama as well.

Great publicity.

Except that Obama's campaign originally explained their relationship as "friendly".

In my opinion, the bigger story is the fact this guy works in education. Why in the ell is a unrepentant terrorist given access to our children's education? Why isn't Obama doing something about it and instead, helping it.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Marcus Calpurnius]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius
Why in the ell is a unrepentant terrorist given access to our children's education?

Ayers is a Distinguished Professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago; as such, the university's students can choose whether or not they want to take any of his courses. Also, his students would legally be classified as adults; so you can rest assured that 'children' are safe from his influence.

Why isn't Obama doing something about it and instead, helping it.

It's not Obama's responsibility, nor is it within his abilities. If you don't like that Ayers is such an honored member of UIC's faculty, then you're welcome to take it up with UIC's administration.

[edit on 11/17/08 by redmage]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Its just very telling tat the left seems to not care about hatred and violence as long as its a means to their ends. If this guy were an abortion clinic bomber, there is no way he would be accept at a university. Because he used violence to push left wing ideology, hes just fine with the "intellectuals" at university.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

reply to post by redmage

Its just very telling tat the left seems to not care about hatred and violence as long as its a means to their ends. If this guy were an abortion clinic bomber, there is no way he would be accept at a university. Because he used violence to push left wing ideology, hes just fine with the "intellectuals" at university.

Well stated. Professors like Ayers and many others like him make me glad that my college years are far behind me. Oddly enough, Ayers is idolized in the bizarre university sub culture. Unfortunately, Ayers will remain hunkered down in this environment for the rest of his life and will spew his out of date activist rhetoric to future generations who deserve far better than that.

top topics

join