It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Considers Rules For Car Searches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm putting this here. Mods feel free to move it.
Considering 9/11 and other terrorist events, I wonder how this ruling will play with our current rights:

Supreme Court Considers Rules For Car Searches With Norfolk Case

By GINA HOLLAND
Associated Press Writer

(AP) - The Supreme Court on Wednesday debated how much freedom law officers should have in searching vacant cars.

Police are allowed to search a car when arresting someone in the vehicle for suspected wrongdoing, without getting a warrant, under a 23-year-old Supreme Court ruling.

Now justices are confronted with a different situation: What are officers to do when the suspicious person is outside the car, maybe a block away or in a gas station restroom.

The court is considering the 2001 search of a Virginia man's gold Lincoln Town Car. He had been driving in Norfolk when an officer noticed his flashy car and ordered a computer check that found the tag was issued for a Chevrolet. Before the officer could stop Marcus Thornton to give him a ticket, Thornton stopped in a shopping center parking lot and got out.

....In the Norfolk case, the officer found drugs in the man's pocket after confronting him in the parking lot. The lawman then searched the car and discovered a gun under the seat.

www.wavy.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Huh. I always thought they were able to search a car due to probable cause. I never knew the person had to be in the car at the time. I don't see a reason why this wouldn't pass. There'd of course have to be certain restrictions to this law, but I honestly think it would be for the best. But much like any law, it is almost always abused by authorities. So I suppose we'll see how this works out.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Of course the person has to be in the car! Otherwise, what would be the difference in searching your house without warrant when/if you're arrested? There really is no difference. They're also required to ask your permission to search your vehicle, if you're not placed under arrest. Of course, they can arrest you for any damn thing they want, if they really feel the need to search your car. Constitution? Bah! It's just an old rag. It needs redefining, right?

join