It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diabetic dog anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Today my dog was diagnosed with diabetes. She was drinking like crazy for the past two days and peeing a lot, and vomiting. Took her to the vet and got the diagnosis. She's in the hospital tonight because her numbers were sky high. She will need 2 shots a day. I've never dealt with anything like this. Anyone have a diabetic dog and can offer me some advice or pointers?

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hello, my mom had a rottie named Mikey who was disbetic. I was around and she had to give him shots daily but it wasn't that bad. It cost her about $60.00 a month for his meds and she had him on a pescription diet, not sure how much that cost. Mikey lived for about 9 years w/ it.It's going to take alot of dedication on your part to keep up with your dogs needs but it is just the same as any person w/ diabeties would have to do. Just keep him/her on a good diet keep up w/ shots/ meds and give him plenty of love. Good luck to you

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm supposed to pick her up from the hospital today. Vet will go over what I need to know and we'll take it from there. She's a good dog, still got a lot of spunk in her, so we'll see how this goes. She's already about 7-8 yrs old, so if she can live for another couple of years with no major problems, that would be great.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hey there Clark W. Griswold

Aww good luck with your pet, I think it can be a bit of a challenge just like in humans but im sure you will do great,
I do know that the super mod djdohboy had a dog that had this so i will get him to come on here and give any advice that he may be able to share,

Keep us updated and give your pet a big hug from us

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My friend had a diabetic cat...shots in the scruff and a new diet, maintain a specific amount of water (so the kidneys aren't working too hard). And as with diabetic people, watch out for cuts, scrapes, colds etc...

The cat lived to be 17. 8 years of treatment by injection, and a few times she had to administer fluids as the cat got a bit dehydrated.

If you have a good relationship with your dog it should be fairly accepting of the treatments and minor discomfort of the injections.

It is expensive, and that can be a bit scary, but quality of life should be exceptional with a good vet and diligence w/ injections and diet.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I wasn't able to bring her home tonight because her liver numbers didn't raise up enough, so she'll come home in the morning. I'm ok with giving her shots, just a little worried that she has to be given the shots/food at a specific time everyday. So, I gotta make sure I'm home to do it.

Never thought about cuts/scrapes. Diabetes is new to me altogether, so there's a lot I need to learn.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Awwww she's a sweety pie!!!

It's a bit of extra scheduling that's for sure, I'd talk about more with your vet. Is your employer okay with dogs at work? Maybe if you live close to work you can arrange with your employer to duck out a bit early or late and make up hours elsewhere?

Or a trusted friend that your pup enjoys could help out too

it'll work out! She sure is a doll

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

OMG, she's so cute

Here, i add my two cents:
i've asked to my vet and he told me about this website: did you know it?
www.dogs4diabetics.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I have no experience with pets that have diabetes, but I have had diabetes since I was 6.

You just have to make things a daily routine. Take shots at the right times, eat the right foods, and make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise to keep her blood sugar levels down. After a while, it just blends in with what you normally do.

Hope everything goes well.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
internos, I didn't know of that website. That's great, dogs can help out like that.

wisefoolish--I'm going to give it my best shot. Things will get regular soon I hope.

Man, she had to stay in the hospital for 2 days at a cost of $900! Whewwwwwwwwwwww!

I didn't realize how weak she'd be. She can barely walk, she's so wobbly. She is NOT liking that canned dog food the vet prescribed for her and refused to eat it. I made her up some boiled chicken and rice, and she ate pretty good. I was glad cause no food means I can't give her insulin and no insulin is not good at all.

Poor thing. I hope she is feeling better soon. I'm not used to seeing her like this and it's kind of hard.

Thanks to the other posters for replying. Keep your fingers crossed that she gets better real soon.

top topics

join